Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sept 5th: Ballyheigue (Kerry) Tri: 750m Swim, 20km Cycle, 5km Run

• 10-08-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

The inaugural "Enable Ireland" Triathlon is being held on 5th September in Ballyheigue, co. Kerry. 750m sea swim, 20km cycle and 5km run. Should be fun and the location is excellent.

http://www.enableireland.ie/events/event.php?EventID=414

I'll be driving down from Dublin - anyone intersted in shared transport, let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I applied for this a few weeks ago and hadn't heard anything back but I believe the organisers are moving office at the moment.

Looking forward to it (if I'm in) - the location is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GearoidP

Hi Mitresize5! I'm from North Kerry myself but living in Dublin and from my contacts "on the ground" there, it's very definitely going ahead.

Yip, the scenery - particularly the cycle around Kerry head - is pretty much the best in North Kerry. A few good pubs in Ballyheigue also!

Rang organisers, its going ahead alright.

Rang organisers, its going ahead alright.
    The page on the "Enable Ireland" website says 5km run through Ballyheigue village. Methinks that would be about 10 laps of the village - it hasn't grown THAT much during the last 10 years! I actually heard that the run was going to be along Ballyheigue beach but if anyone can confirm that I'd be interested in finding that out for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What's the cycle like? I don't associate Kerry with long, flat cycle routes....

• Advertisement

What's the cycle like? I don't associate Kerry with long, flat cycle routes....

Kerry Head, like the rest of North Kerry, is a lot flatter than South Kerry. There is a bit of a climb but nothing too difficult - from Ballyheigue itself to the highest point on Kerry head is maybe 100 - 150 meters up, over 3 or 4 km. Great views of Tralee Bay, Fenit and the Dingle Peninsula / Mount Brandon to the South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

GearoidP wrote: »
    Kerry Head, like the rest of North Kerry, is a lot flatter than South Kerry. There is a bit of a climb but nothing too difficult - from Ballyheigue itself to the highest point on Kerry head is maybe 100 - 150 meters up, over 3 or 4 km. Great views of Tralee Bay, Fenit and the Dingle Peninsula / Mount Brandon to the South.

You've sold it to me.

You've sold it to me.
    It's lunchbreak here in my cozy office in Dublin and I see they actually have a website: http://www.kerryheadtriathlon.com/

It answers my earlier question - the run is indeed along the beach.

To quote the website "The run will take place on the beach and consists of run along the strand towards the "Black Rock" in the distance. (The sand is firm and easy to run on). The tunring point at 2.5k out will be well marshalled and from there it is a straightforward run to the finish line just below the transition area."

Will be doing it as part of a relay team.

Have looked at the online info and can't find any reference to a starting time.

Will be doing it as part of a relay team.

Have looked at the online info and can't find any reference to a starting time.

Starts at 12pm - "High Noon". I'd be very interested in anyone thinking of travelling from Dublin. If we have the numbers, potentially we could hire a Mini-Bus? As it's a noon start, and a 4 hour drive from Dublin, I reckon it would be OK to drive down on the morning of the triathlon itself.

As I come from the area, I might be able to rustle up some accommodation alterernatives (other than those already on the website).
    You're not a real triathlete until you've slept under a currach!!

• Advertisement

You might keep me posted on the accomodation info.

Few of us heading up from South Kerry, might turn it into a chance to go for a few drinks, bring the wives etc. Whats White Sands Hotel like? Any really nice BnBs there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

You might keep me posted on the accomodation info.

Few of us heading up from South Kerry, might turn it into a chance to go for a few drinks, bring the wives etc. Whats White Sands Hotel like? Any really nice BnBs there?

Banna holiday homes would also be an option as they are only 5 minutes away.Ballyroe hotel in Ardfert is only 10 mins away and Tralee is only 15 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

lovely part of the world - when the weather is good (it's one of the few places i've seen the rain fall horizontally). pity it's not on 2 weeks later as i'll be down there then.

Banna holiday homes would also be an option as they are only 5 minutes away.Ballyroe hotel in Ardfert is only 10 mins away and Tralee is only 15 mins away.

Think I'll go with the White Sands. Doubles only 79 per room, and presume they have a hotel bar, sure not gonna make much of a saving in a BnB or find a handier late night drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭helpisontheway

Think I'll go with the White Sands. Doubles only 79 per room, and presume they have a hotel bar, sure not gonna make much of a saving in a BnB or find a handier late night drink!
    Yep they have a very nice hotel bar and there is a few others within 100 metres,the beach is right behind the hotel also so its less than 100 metres to the startline!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

or if you have the super Valu getaway tokens you could have 2 nights B&B with one dinner for 99euro pps.. in the White Sands

Thanks for that, but think they have already been allocated to something exotic like a weekend in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EimearSF

Hi Gearoid,

Just wondering whether you have made any progress re. the great idea of hiring a minibus on the Saturday morning to bring people down from Dublin? I'd love to take part (first tri so am just doing run and cycle) but I don't have a car and it seems it may be a bit awkward to get there without...Also, how would we take bikes with minibus?

Anyone else driving down that might be able to offer me a lift in return for petrol?

Thanks,

E.

Can any natives of the area advise if the beach is sheltered or open. Just wondering regarding the swim, it looks like autumn has arrived (in August ffs!!!) and I was geting worried about the swim being cancelled in the event of high winds

Don't know about the beach but the starting time has been changed to 1pm according to the website.

"News In aid of Enable Ireland The start time has been changed to 1 pm.
    Registration will take place in the Ballyheigue Community Centre from 9:30 - 11:30 on the morning of the Triathlon.
    A Bar-B-Que is being planned for 4pm at the back of Kirbys Bar. Stick around and enjoy the music and craic."

• Advertisement

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Can any natives of the area advise if the beach is sheltered or open. Just wondering regarding the swim, it looks like autumn has arrived (in August ffs!!!) and I was geting worried about the swim being cancelled in the event of high winds

I am a native (and proud!!) and the beach is actually very well protected from the main Atlantic swell by Kerry head itself. It's always pretty calm unless there's a real storm blowing. I'd say it's a safe bet that barring truely terrible weather conditions, the swim will happen.

EimearSF wrote: »
    Hi Gearoid,

Just wondering whether you have made any progress re. the great idea of hiring a minibus on the Saturday morning to bring people down from Dublin? I'd love to take part (first tri so am just doing run and cycle) but I don't have a car and it seems it may be a bit awkward to get there without...Also, how would we take bikes with minibus?

Anyone else driving down that might be able to offer me a lift in return for petrol?

Thanks,

E.

Hi Eimear, unfortunately apart from yourself there haven't been any real signs of interest in hiring a minibus from Dublin. We're going down in the car but unfortunately already full. You can check on the Iarnrod eireann website the list of trains that take bikes... Also, I've found that even though on the Bus Eireann site they say they don't take bikes, in reality they do and issue a bike ticket for it.... If you can make it to Tralee by public transport, it's a short spin on the bike to Ballyheigue.

I am a native (and proud!!) and the beach is actually very well protected from the main Atlantic swell by Kerry head itself. It's always pretty calm unless there's a real storm blowing. I'd say it's a safe bet that barring truely terrible weather conditions, the swim will happen.

A proud Kerry man - nows theres a first :):):)

Good news about the swim as its my strongest leg

Just wondering (as I've only ever done 2 Triathlons before) is an wetsuit absolutely necessary for a 750m swim like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just wondering (as I've only ever done 2 Triathlons before) is an wetsuit absolutely necessary for a 750m swim like this?

The water's pretty warm at the moment so physically it should be no problem.

BUT the race organisers might have made it compulsory wetsuit for other reasons like safety so it might be best to check with them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 EimearSF

Hi Eimear, unfortunately apart from yourself there haven't been any real signs of interest in hiring a minibus from Dublin. We're going down in the car but unfortunately already full. You can check on the Iarnrod eireann website the list of trains that take bikes... Also, I've found that even though on the Bus Eireann site they say they don't take bikes, in reality they do and issue a bike ticket for it.... If you can make it to Tralee by public transport, it's a short spin on the bike to Ballyheigue.

Thanks Gearoid - will try that and just hope that not too many others have decided to take train too (think they only have space for 2 bikes...) Hopefully see you there!

I'm looking forward to this and hopefully the weather will clear up for the weekend

I'm looking forward to this and hopefully the weather will clear up for the weekend

Weather forecast looks reasonable enough, so here's hoping! I still have an achilles tendon injury after Gael Force West a couple of weekends back so am probably going to do the swim and cycle bit and my wife will do the running!

By the way if anyone from boards wants to meet up I'll be wearing my Kerry jersey at the "tea and biscuits" session afterwards so come over an introduce yourself!! Should be "fun" if there are lots of people in Kerry jersies!!

Weather forecast looks reasonable enough, so here's hoping! I still have an achilles tendon injury after Gael Force West a couple of weekends back so am probably going to do the swim and cycle bit and my wife will do the running!

By the way if anyone from boards wants to meet up I'll be wearing my Kerry jersey at the "tea and biscuits" session afterwards so come over an introduce yourself!! Should be "fun" if there are lots of people in Kerry jersies!!

might be a few Kerry jerseys around alright but if Kerry get beaten by Cork in three weeks time it might be a long time before the jerseys will be seen again!!

• Advertisement

A Bar-B-Que is being planned for 4pm at the back of Kirbys Bar. Stick around and enjoy the music and craic."

6 of us staying over now. Was planning on heading away after the race and coming back for the Ireland Cyprus match and staying in the hotel bar. Guess Kirbys is the place to head to then. Will they show the game?

Wetsuits are obligatory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

might be a few Kerry jerseys around alright but if Kerry get beaten by Cork in three weeks time it might be a long time before the jerseys will be seen again!!

That's a big if right there. In fact it's just not going to happen!

The forecast for Saturday is good enough! There might be a big of chop with an onshore wind though nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NWM

Well, I did the Kerryhead - my first triathlon. Fantastic experience, though not a pleasant one.

Started training 6 weeks ago when all I could do was 50m in the pool, got up to 1000m open water swimming in Kilkee a couple of weeks ago. So I thought the swim would be relatively easy and was quite looking forward to it.

But boy did I get my come-uppance in that swell. Having zig-zagged all over the place and gotten airborne coming off some waves by the time I got out I felt I had gone through (what turned out to be) 19 min of hell.

Was about 160th place after the swim, had a god-awful T1 (about 3.5 mins) where I was too wrecked to do anything quickly.

Got on my bike, put the head down and started cycling. Thank god my buddy had a good bike to loan me as I was about 80th in the cycling, and amazingly not far off 60th in the run. Just broke into the top half overall.

But OMG that swim! Someone tell me this is not normal! Or my dreams of doing an Olympic distance will stay as dreams.

Well done NWM

First off well done on doing your first triathlon.

Regarding the swim, TBH when I arrived I was full sure that leg was going to be replaced with a 2.5K run to start and I was quite surprised when told otherwise.

The best way to describe it was trying to swim in a washing machine. I and a lot of others swam about 100m past the first bouy to start as this was out past the breaking waves and a bit more comfortable. A friend who is a less confident swimmer stayed closer to shore and was trown around a bit. He eventually 'beached' himself and just continued on to T1.

The bike course around the Kerry head was amazing if tough and the run on the beach was enjoyable too.

To answer your question - no I have never seen a triathlon swim leg in those conditions. I'm not saying it wasn't safe as there were plenty of life boats around but as a fella from a swimming background I would have said it was very challenging.

btw - it was 400m max

Was part of a team, think we finished about halfway down the relay placings. Did the run and thought it was tough enough, just started a few months ago and never ran on a beach, big headwind (though it made the second half a lot easier) and rather monotonous - every time I looked up it seemed that the halway point or the end was getting no nearer. Think I got 23.19, had hoped to get under 23 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 NWM

Incidentally, we stayed around afterwards, went to Kirbys, back to hotel for the Cyprus game, on to Flahives and ended up in the Castle Arms.

Where did everyone disappear to? Though some few would stay around...

Well done NWM on your first triathlon

I enjoyed the day but that really was a tough swim. I heard it was 500m but no way was it the full 750m. I also found the cycle very challenging and enjoyed the run along the beach.

Was glad the rain stayed away as there was some tricky bends towards the end of the downhill that could have been dangerous if it was wet.

All in all for the first time this was run I think things went well. Maybe a few more
    at registration to speed things up and some improvement at the briefing..

Plus out in the water there was no way anyone was going to hear a "horn" so
    a change of start in those conditions maybe??

Then again I'm not experienced and they may have very well followed protocol but
    everyone in the water not know when to go and getting thrown about by the waves can't be right!!

But it was very scenic and I'll be back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ivanobishop

there is a new tri club in Tralee i hear. Mad interest in it. Heard from a buddy they got a 100 members after the first week. Kingdom Tri Club. I would love to join and girlfriend also!! Has anyone heard how to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ivanobishop

Heard Kerryhead was very good. heard about the sea too. but in fairness it was their first time...will definitely try it next year! Up Kerry!

• Advertisement

some photos gone up on the homepage

http://www.kerryheadtriathlon.com/

Heading off to it soon, hard to think a year has passed. Water should be calmer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Heading off to it soon, hard to think a year has passed. Water should be calmer this time.

Yeah, water was a lot calmer, but still there was a bit of a swell. Will be interesting to see the times.

Seemed to be a lot fewer participants this year? Just basing this on my memory of what the run on the strand looked like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Results are up.

I notice that last year the split timings did not add up to the overall time. It looks like the overall time was the sum of the swim + bike + run, excluding the transitions.

Was this an error, and is the order wrong? Or did the transition times get rolled into the bike or run times or something?

We lost our timing chip, apparently we were not the only ones.

Anyway, these things happen, called out our number at each transition, thought they might omit us from the results or put down an approximate time.

Unfortunately, they tacked on 10 mins onto my run time! I'd rather not be credited for any time at all rather than be credited for being a snail!

Advertisement