Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs Australia

Options
  • 10-08-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Thomond Park, Wednesday 12th August.

Any of ye going? Is this a sell-out yet? What will it be like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As I said in the Soccer forum, I think the prices are a bit steep for what is a meaningless friendly.

€25 is the cheapest ticket, then €35, and then €55.

If the opposition was a team like the Dutch team, then it would be a better price as there would be top quality players on show. As is, it is a mix of mid to low level premiership players with a lot of Championship players.

I must admit when I first heard that there would be soccer at Thomond Park, I was hoping they would try to get a glamour tie for the first one. Either Ireland against a good international team, or a Limerick XI against a big name club side. Real Madrid could have been an interesting one seeing as their training camp was in Ireland and that Limerick played them in European competition years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ill probably be going, don't have a ticket yet but ill probably get mine on wednesday morning, i doubt it will sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

im going with 3 other people, plan on drinking before it and during it and heading out after so should be good crack regardless of the teams, if you get a terrace ticket its 35 and the atmosphere will be better there

Yeah i plan on getting a terrace ticket for 35, will be basically on the sideline.

Same plan for myself, drinks before,during and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Not going to bother. I'd pay that money if it was a better opposition, but Australia doesn't ring my bells. Hopefully it won't be a once off and we'll see a few better teams there in future. Someone ought to tell the organisers we are in the middle of a recession and the prices you could charge a few years ago don't hold water now.

• Advertisement

Not going to bother. I'd pay that money if it was a better opposition, but Australia doesn't ring my bells. Hopefully it won't be a once off and we'll see a few better teams there in future. Someone ought to tell the organisers we are in the middle of a recession and the prices you could charge a few years ago don't hold water now.

Take it up with the FAI and considering the amount they are charging people for 10 year tickets for Lansdowne, they won't give a shít.

Harsh but true! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I want to go too as all my friends are but there dont seem to be any €35 tickets left on Ticketmaster. Would Gleesons still have some would anyone know?
    Or anybody on Boards have a spare terrace going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks to all of you who voluntarily submitted your planned drinking agendas complete with projected timeframes :P

- Apparently though you can't enjoy a nice pint or two at a match in this day and age because of the Scumbag minority ruining it for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'll be gobsmacked if it's a sellout. I took my young fella along to the training session in Tipp yesterday and there was an FAI suit going around hawking tickets. He was moving at a fair clip and looked really unconfortable doing it too :P

I would have been well up for it but the opposition doesn't justify the cost. Even a €35 ticket when you are thinking of a family of 4 is pretty steep. And €55 if you want a seat is absolutely nuts. If they knocked a few quid off teh tickets they'd sell a lot more of them. As it is it'll be half full and we'll probably never get another one here because this one will make a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Myself and a few mates are going and going on the beer in town after. Bit of a laugh and cheaper than going to Dublin to watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Jesus what with all the drinking before,during and after a match?have a pint after it...My dad was saying all the cheaper tickets will seel faster but no way is he paying 55 euro for a seat if he does decide to bring the kids,also no beer is on sale in Thomond some rule they have on soccer he said.And lads town will be messy its leaving cert results night.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I have it on good authority that there are less than 16,000 sold for this game so far. All the €25 tickets are gone so that leaves the €35 terrace or the €55 stand ones. €55 for a seat a soccer friendly is shocking. As far as I know they hardly cost that for the competitive rugby games in Croke Park. The All Ireland hurling semi final on Sunday is €45.

I'd say the FAI have shot themselves in the foot big time with their pricing structure. But unfortunately a half empty stadium will mean that they will be slow to host any future games in Limerick.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that there are less than 16,000 sold for this game so far. All the €25 tickets are gone so that leaves the €35 terrace or the €55 stand ones. €55 for a seat a soccer friendly is shocking. As far as I know they hardly cost that for the competitive rugby games in Croke Park. The All Ireland hurling semi final on Sunday is €45.

I'd say the FAI have shot themselves in the foot big time with their pricing structure. But unfortunately a half empty stadium will mean that they will be slow to host any future games in Limerick.

Yeah your correct, north and south terraces are sell out, west and east terraces are nearly sold out as they wont come up on ticketmaster and i rang gleesons earlier saying they only have about 50 east and west terrace tickets left. My friend just rang me there who picked up our tickets in gleesons and he said the guy working in there says they are selling very fast now. I say most people decided to leave it to the last minute to decide if they were going to go or not.
    Hopefully there will be a good crowd there :)

boarddotie wrote: »
    I want to go too as all my friends are but there dont seem to be any €35 tickets left on Ticketmaster. Would Gleesons still have some would anyone know?
    Or anybody on Boards have a spare terrace going?

give gleesons a ring asap, i rang them about two hours ago and they said they only had 50 east terrace tickets left but my friend who went into gleesons about an hour ago said they had some tickets left for east and west.
    Apparently they are selling fast so give gleesons a ring asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dah

Heard tickets haven't hit 20,000 yet aswell.
    Ticket prices for FAI matches at home ridiculous. Haven't missed a home match in years but due to no job have to miss out. When you compare prices to Tickets for our away matches- Italian match @ €12 & Bulgarian @ €5. These are qualifier matches and FAI expect fans to fork out €25-€55 for a pointless friendly. Croke Park would look very very bare if they had the likes of Australia & South Africa playing soccer hence Thomand getting a run out. Great compact ground, pity only getting 2 below average soccer teams down. When the 2 countries come to Croker for Rugby in November, Hill Tickets are €65 altogether for the 2 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Agree that it is completely overpriced. €35 would have been a fair price for a stand ticket, with maybe €15 and €20 or €25 as prices for the terraces. Even though I knew full well I'd be going to the match when tickets first became available, I dilly-dallied for long enough meaning that all the €25 tickets were sold out by the time I got mine last week.

Australia will be a tough test. They're ranked 16th in the FIFA standings, a full 21 places above Ireland's 37, and have taken a couple of scalps in recent years, including England in London a few years back and more recently Argentina. I wouldn't rank them as being much worse than the teams Ireland have played in friendlies against over the past year or so - Nigeria, Poland, Colombia and Serbia - however Brazil last year are an obvious exception.

Unfortunately these two games in Thomond Park will be the last home matches to be played outside of Dublin for a long time to come. Once they move to the new Aviva Stadium, the FAI have said that they'll have to play more or less all their home matches there to fund its construction.

dah wrote: »
    Heard tickets haven't hit 20,000 yet aswell.
    Ticket prices for FAI matches at home ridiculous. Haven't missed a home match in years but due to no job have to miss out. When you compare prices to Tickets for our away matches- Italian match @ €12 & Bulgarian @ €5. These are qualifier matches and FAI expect fans to fork out €25-€55 for a pointless friendly. Croke Park would look very very bare if they had the likes of Australia & South Africa playing soccer hence Thomand getting a run out. Great compact ground, pity only getting 2 below average soccer teams down. When the 2 countries come to Croker for Rugby in November, Hill Tickets are €65 altogether for the 2 matches.

I admit the tickets are way too expensive, which is just what the FAI are all about, i'm just happy that there is a game on in Limerick. In fairness Australia are a very good side who nearly always make it to the WC finals and have some very good players such as Tim Cahill, Scott MacDonald, Mark Schwarzer, Lucas Neill and Harry Kewell who im looking forward to see playing in the flesh.

There are alot of numbers being thrown about. John Cantwell, manager guy of thomond park says that 20000 tickets have already been sold, but then other places say that expected attendance will be 20000. I think 20000 will be the attendance, all the terraces will be full and then stands will be half full due to the high price of stand tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

poofball at thomond. disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Vanhalla wrote: »
    poofball at thomond. disgrace!
    Jaysus your slow, Elton John was a few months ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

There are alot of numbers being thrown about. John Cantwell, manager guy of thomond park says that 20000 tickets have already been sold, but then other places say that expected attendance will be 20000. I think 20000 will be the attendance, all the terraces will be full and then stands will be half full due to the high price of stand tickets.

When buying tickets in Gleesons today there was a lot of activity - lots of tickets being sold. I know the number 'lots' -is a bit vague - but last minute interest seems to be around.

Lovely to see the team training in St. Mary's in Tipp on the news. Faces on the little kids were priceless :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Chong wrote: »
    Jaysus your slow, Elton John was a few months ago!

Even slower than that, Limerick FC have played a good number of games in Thomond over the years. Infact, I think it's possible Limerick FC played there before Shannon did. Hopefully they will get a chance to do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Picked up my tickets today at gleesons for East terrace , 35 euro a pop.

<SNIP>I think 20000 will be the attendance, all the terraces will be full and then stands will be half full due to the high price of stand tickets.

That says its all about the typical level of cynical profiteering that is still happening in todays Rip-off Ireland.

- Take what could be a great sporting occasion and family day out and try and rob everyone blind until you shoot yourself in the foot and diminish your own event with a half empty Stands. Every empty seat tomorrow night will be a testament to FAI's poor business sense and dumb greed.....

I would not and could not pay €55 for a stand ticket to this event under any circumstance :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

All the terrace €35 tickets were gone when I went to Gleesons at 12.30 :( only some €55 left. Dangit.

Would people think that there might be an odd one or two going outside Thomond tomorrow? For face value :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Even slower than that, Limerick FC have played a good number of games in Thomond over the years. Infact, I think it's possible Limerick FC played there before Shannon did. Hopefully they will get a chance to do so again.

Against the mighty Spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

just remember tho, tickets are on sale all over the country, Limerick was only selling them from gleesons as far as im aware, kinda crappy considering its the 3rd largest urban area in the country,clare even have 2 outlets..galway a handfull so even if its sold out in gleesons we wont be able to tell untill we get into the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Raiser wrote: »
    That says its all about the typical level of cynical profiteering that is still happening in todays Rip-off Ireland.

- Take what could be a great sporting occasion and family day out and try and rob everyone blind until you shoot yourself in the foot and diminish your own event with a half empty Stands. Every empty seat tomorrow night will be a testament to FAI's poor business sense and dumb greed.....

I would not and could not pay €55 for a stand ticket to this event under any circumstance :mad:

well said,
    55euro is seriously laughable for a friendly match against Australia, surely theres someone up in that office that realizes this??? Surely theres somone there that realises maybe a bit more money could be made off reducing the price a bit. lucky I got my 25e one. I wouldnt have payed a penny more.
    Who knows though we may be wrong and there may be a full stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

€55 for a seat a soccer friendly is shocking. As far as I know they hardly cost that for the competitive rugby games in Croke Park. The All Ireland hurling semi final on Sunday is €45.

Agree that €55 is way OTT, I go to all the games and rejected my usual two stand tickets for 1 €35 terrace instead. No way would I pay that for a friendly. The reason I'm going to this is (a) Cos it's in Limerick and I've been travelling to Dublin for the last 20 yrs, so out of principle i'm not going to miss the few games on my doorstep and (b) I've not been inside the new Thomond Park. If this was on in Croke Park I'd be giving it a miss - the atmosphere at friendlies is ****e and quality of football poor.
    You're wrong though about the rugby tickets, rugby tickets at Croker are far dearer than the football tickets - €70/€90 and €100+ as far as I know. Only tickets that are cheaper are the hill terrace tickets, which the FAI are not allowed to sell anyway due to FIFA rules on all seater stadia.
    dah wrote: »
    Croke Park would look very very bare if they had the likes of Australia & South Africa playing soccer hence Thomand getting a run out.
    Thomond is getting a run out because the FAI (or IRFU) are not allowed to host ANY games in Croke Park during the summer GAA calender. This is why every summer friendly and competitive game has been away from home since the move to Croker. It has nothing to do with filling the stadium. If Croker was available to the FAI, these games at Thomond would not be happening.

Australia and SA were chosen as they don't cost much and to maximise profit as the FAI expected to sell this out regardless. This has obviously backfired but they won't make a loss as they're only paying Thomond Park €100,000 for use of the ground.
    D-A-V-E wrote: »
    just remember tho, tickets are on sale all over the country, Limerick was only selling them from gleesons as far as im aware, kinda crappy considering its the 3rd largest urban area in the country,clare even have 2 outlets..galway a handfull so even if its sold out in gleesons we wont be able to tell untill we get into the stadium
    €25 and €35 tickets are completely sold out nationwide - it's on the FAI website...plenty of €55 stand left though

wylo wrote: »
    well said,
    55euro is seriously laughable for a friendly match against Australia, surely theres someone up in that office that realizes this??? Surely theres somone there that realises maybe a bit more money could be made off reducing the price a bit. lucky I got my 25e one. I wouldnt have payed a penny more.
    Who knows though we may be wrong and there may be a full stadium.

There will be a lot of empty stand tickets tonight - I can see tomorrows headlines now:

FAI questioned over attempted robbery in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Swindon

will parking be crazy would ye thing,was thinking of parking in lit somewhere?
    if not il prob use park and ride facility from radisson...

Advertisement