Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just park in the Jetland and stroll up .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Swindon wrote: »
    will parking be crazy would ye thing,was thinking of parking in lit somewhere?
    if not il prob use park and ride facility from radisson...

You'll probably get clamped in L.I.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

There was no entry into LIT from the roundabout yesterday evening - not sure if it is the same today. It could be connected to the building being knocked beside the terrace of yellow houses near the garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Ireland 2-0 down going into the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

That was by far the worst sporting event I have ever witnessed. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I know it's probably too late but a friend of mine is looking for a program from this match. I don't suppose anyone has one that they wouldn't mind parting with? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

RonMexico wrote: »
    That was by far the worst sporting event I have ever witnessed. :eek:

This guy should have been there so.

mail.jpg

See the Irony. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

what was the attendance in the end? Was there much of an atmosphere?

Got there before seven. Had stand tickets. Went in to find the bar areas under the stand empty. No alcohol being served in the stadium (I only wanted a beer, not to get pissed). Then if you bought a bottle of coke they took the caps off before handing to you and informed you that it had to be drank there, no bringing it to your seat. Lots of empty seats on the stands when I did decide to head out there.

As for the game itself, it was about as entertining as watching paint dry. I was more entertained by the Garda helicopter circling overhead and the kids in Moyross trying to climb over the wall. The whole team were lethargic especially the midfield. Gibson was playing like somebody drugged on valium wearing a blindfold. Duff was alright I suppose, as was McGeady but nothing special. Keane was shocking, offside most of the time or else out of position. Whenever the ball comes into the box he runs away from it expecting someone else to gift it to him. O' Shea must have some serious dirt on Ferguson and Trap, he was an absolute donkey.

Atmosphere was ****e too. All I could think as I Ieft was how on earth do these guys get paid so much:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

what was the attendance in the end? Was there much of an atmosphere?

The stands were actually fairly full - a few empty seats allright but not to the extent that had been speculated.

- To be honest they should have been half empty; its not nice to see cynical, blind, mindless greed rewarded.

The atmosphere was subdued - In fact you could have sat there in the stand and called in sick to work at any point without your Boss suspecting a thing :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Attendance was "under 20,000" according to the news and teh sides of teh stands looked deserted on the TV. Shame the atmosphere was so poor - probably the fact it was a friendly and a poor game.

That said if it's true that they only paid 100,000 for teh ground then they still turned a tidy profit so maybe there will be competitive games here at some stage (I know, the fancy stadium in Dublin has to be paid for, but we can dream!)

I couldn't be arsed going to see an Ireland game again after what I witnessed tonight, especially when the FAI are raping people with the prices they're charging for tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Got there before seven. Had stand tickets. Went in to find the bar areas under the stand empty. No alcohol being served in the stadium (I only wanted a beer, not to get pissed). Then if you bought a bottle of coke they took the caps off before handing to you and informed you that it had to be drank there, no bringing it to your seat. Lots of empty seats on the stands when I did decide to head out there.

As for the game itself, it was about as entertining as watching paint dry. I was more entertained by the Garda helicopter circling overhead and the kids in Moyross trying to climb over the wall. The whole team were lethargic especially the midfield. Gibson was playing like somebody drugged on valium wearing a blindfold. Duff was alright I suppose, as was McGeady but nothing special. Keane was shocking, offside most of the time or else out of position. Whenever the ball comes into the box he runs away from it expecting someone else to gift it to him. O' Shea must have some serious dirt on Ferguson and Trap, he was an absolute donkey.

Atmosphere was ****e too. All I could think as I Ieft was how on earth do these guys get paid so much:confused:
    You're obviously not a regular football fan or match goer because if you were you would have known about everything you posted there before you went. No alcohol allowed, caps are taken off all bottles, the standard of football at friendlies is s***e, and the atmosphere at friendlies is s***e. In other news, the titanic has sunk.......... :rolleyes:

If you want to watch a spectacle or football at it's best, don't pick a pre-season friendly where nothing is at stake and the opposition is mediocre. Did you honestly expect players who are only 75% fit and their season starting in 3 days time to serve up a hammer and thongs encounter?!? Get real. As for the crowd, it was full of kids, families and day trippers at their first game just like all friendlies are, and it was also full of whoppers wearing rugby, gaa and premiership club shirts - it could not have been more different to the regular crowd and block booking holders that go to the competitive games in Dublin if it tried. Friendlies are a different ball game to competitve games, there is no comparison really. I'd rather watch Ireland v San Marino in a competitive game than Ireland v Brazil in a friendly.

Class stadium though, absolutely loved the way you are right on top of the players. Would love to see a proper world cup qualifier there :cool:

I couldn't be arsed going to see an Ireland game again after what I witnessed tonight, especially when the FAI are raping people with the prices they're charging for tickets.

It was a friendly, get over it, many people seem to think that Ireland have a great football team, Ireland are average at best, but hey if you get a ticket for Italy V Ireland in croker then by all means give me a shout if your not arsed going to Ireland games.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It was a friendly, get over it, many people seem to think that Ireland have a great football team, Ireland are average at best, but hey if you get a ticket for Italy V Ireland in croker then by all means give me a shout if your not arsed going to Ireland games.

In fairness Dude, the guy has a point. Ireland were useless tonight. €55/€35 is a lot of money to waste on a poor show like that. There were men on that pitch who would have been better off lying on a beach somewhere, for all the effort they put in.

The Australian squad got a great round of applause after the match, the lads in green did not. Why? Because they didn't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

An File wrote: »
    In fairness Dude, the guy has a point. Ireland were useless tonight. €55/€35 is a lot of money to waste on a poor show like that. There were men on that pitch who would have been better off lying on a beach somewhere, for all the effort they put in.

3 days before the start of the premier league, if anyone was expecting much from last night well they were only fooling themselves. The players are hardly the ones who set the ticket prices to what they were.
    I felt embarrassed by the booing at half and full time. Supporters indeed....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

An File wrote: »

The Australian squad got a great round of applause after the match, the lads in green did not. Why? Because they didn't deserve it.

I agree that the team putting in effort should get the applause.

The season starting in three days is a lame excuse for others to use for lack of effort. The Australians have most of their squad in the UK also and I was watching some of the other friendlies on tv last night and lack of effort was not a problem in the other games.

England played Holland in a friendly and there was no lack of effort by either side, and the English season starts in three days.

As someone has said on the thread, any Irish friendlies are normally a joke in terms of effort and atmosphere, and normally are overpriced to boot. Irish players just don't seem to think that putting effort in during a friendly is needed regardless of when the friendly takes place. Representing their country seems to be no big deal to many of the players in the current squad, and there is no reason to think that will change anytime soon.

But I did not like the fact that they were booed during the game, it may be just me but booing your own team is something I have never liked in any sport, I tend to see it as classless. The team may be ****e, but that is no reason for the supporters to be ****e. A better way to voice displeasure is to applause the opponents after the game and leave the home team with silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sfxoneill

last night was a joke, you have a great stadium to play in and the FAI get greedy again and charge crazy money for a friendly when the country is in the midst of a recession. Why not charge €20/25 accross the board and have a full stadium instead of all those empty seats...

Another oppurtunity missed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sfxoneill wrote: »
    last night was a joke, you have a great stadium to play in and the FAI get greedy again and charge crazy money for a friendly when the country is in the midst of a recession. Why not charge €20/25 accross the board and have a full stadium instead of all those empty seats...

Spot on!

Hopefully nobody will turn up to Ireland vs South Africa at TP.

When is that match btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sfxoneill

Yeah its the 8th of Sept...Hopefully they might re consider their pricing for this one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

have it on good authority that prices will be cheaper for the Saffers game...lesson learned

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

hope that pricing for the SA one is cheaper - wanted to take the kids last night but 35e a pop was way to much.

sfxoneill wrote: »

Exactly! I would have gone if i could have got a seat for 20/25euro, but there was no way in hell i was going to pay 55euro for a stand ticket to watch those muppets. People keeping their money in their pockets is the only way the FAI and their overpaid overhyped prima-donnas will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Exactly! I would have gone if i could have got a seat for 20/25euro, but there was no way in hell i was going to pay 55euro for a stand ticket to watch those muppets. People keeping their money in their pockets is the only way the FAI and their overpaid overhyped prima-donnas will get the message.

Maybe we should just withdraw the national team altogether eh?

First off - If people want to question the merit or worth of a fan just because they don't regularly go to matches they can go jump off the nearest cliff for themselves. Not everybody has the privilege to afford to go to matches and the fan sitting in front of the tv cheering them on is just as much of a fan as anyone.

Secondly - As someone else already pointed out - the other teams playing last night were clearly up for it, much more so than our team. Yet if we question this we are always fobbed off with lame EXCUSES. If other teams can do it then so can we.

This team displays everything that is wrong with this country as a whole - overpaid, over-rated, underworked and with a ****ty attitude to boot. The governing body, just like our own government, is incompetant, greedy and out of touch with reality. They lack credibility, organisational skills and foresight. They treat the public like mugs.

As for the team - they may be average at best but average teams can accomplish great things when they care to put in a hard graft. Too many of the players looked like they couldn't give a toss. Friendly or not you are representing your country and you should aim to give 110%, otherwise stay at home in your mansion counting the cars in your garage. People pay good money to come out and see them and the least they could do is give them a good display. If the had actually tried last night people wouldn't be so quick to criticize them, everybody has to lose sometime but at least go down fighting, not with a shrug of the shoulders.

Roadend wrote: »
    Maybe we should just withdraw the national team altogether eh?

Not a bad idea. Or start from scratch with players from the league of ireland and abolish the FAI and create a new footballing representative body for Ireland. As far as I am concerned those players do not represent me as an Irish person or the 26 county republic I live in. To my mind, they represent there own hubris, greed, and laziness and nothing else. I feel no affinity with this so called Irish soccer team. As for the FAI, they are an organisation that contemplated suing our own government for the right to flog the TV rights of their competitive matches to Sky Sports. The only reason they didn't pursue this course of action is because they knew they would lose. From where do they derive their authority to regulate the game of soccer in Ireland? They do precious little to justify that role.

First off - If people want to question the merit or worth of a fan just because they don't regularly go to matches they can go jump off the nearest cliff for themselves. Not everybody has the privilege to afford to go to matches and the fan sitting in front of the tv cheering them on is just as much of a fan as anyone.

Secondly - As someone else already pointed out - the other teams playing last night were clearly up for it, much more so than our team. Yet if we question this we are always fobbed off with lame EXCUSES. If other teams can do it then so can we.

This team displays everything that is wrong with this country as a whole - overpaid, over-rated, underworked and with a ****ty attitude to boot. The governing body, just like our own government, is incompetant, greedy and out of touch with reality. They lack credibility, organisational skills and foresight. They treat the public like mugs.

As for the team - they may be average at best but average teams can accomplish great things when they care to put in a hard graft. Too many of the players looked like they couldn't give a toss. Friendly or not you are representing your country and you should aim to give 110%, otherwise stay at home in your mansion counting the cars in your garage. People pay good money to come out and see them and the least they could do is give them a good display. If the had actually tried last night people wouldn't be so quick to criticize them, everybody has to lose sometime but at least go down fighting, not with a shrug of the shoulders.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from, the irish team were poor last night and I admit that, however it seems that people are judging the Irish team on that one match alone which is crazy. For example, I was at Ireland V Georgia in Croke Park a few months ago, and they were 1-0 down at half time and the crowd got behind the team and they came back to win it 2-1 and the players put everything into it.
    I love football and I will definetly be going again for the south africa game, its a great day out even with a poor performace its brilliant to have a few drinks beforehand and see the players up close and personal who you usually can only see on the television screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hey, enough with the knee-jerk reactions, it was only a friendly 3 days before the start of the season.

We are very capable of winning the last 3 WCQ games, Cyprus away being the toughest. Italy are very very ordinary and Montenegro are the same except worse.

At least seven points out of nine is very achievable.

Just think of the "Stan" era and you'll realise how better this team is under Trap. I don't think he's perfect but the team is certainly playing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I cant believe people are acting shocked with last nights overall performance including the atmosphere, it was a pre-season friendly at thomond park ffs. It was a novelty match for kids and grannys to go to. Did you honestly expect the team to give it their all.

Friendlies never have and never will have a bearing on how a team is performing imo. Look how we played against Italy, granted Italy were sh1te but we still took ownership over a world class team and probably should have beat them too.
    Anyway if I go on Im only gonna be repeating everything Limerickdude said.

The only thing I have to admit though was that the ticket prices were a joke. 55euro ??? no wonder the atmosphere was sh1t , your surrounded by office middle management types who are "going down for the gander".Unless they seriously drop those ticket prices for the SA match the stadium will be empty. 15euro for terrace,and 30 for the stand is what I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Hey, enough with the knee-jerk reactions, it was only a friendly 3 days before the start of the season.

We are very capable of winning the last 3 WCQ games, Cyprus away being the toughest. Italy are very very ordinary and Montenegro are the same except worse.

At least seven points out of nine is very achievable.

Just think of the "Stan" era and you'll realise how better this team is under Trap. I don't think he's perfect but the team is certainly playing better.
    exactly, people dont like trap, personally i think hes a very smart bloke who knows what standards his players are at, and uses this. He said himself its not gonna be fantastic football or 4 nil hammerings.

Advertisement