Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Vs Australia

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Roadend wrote: »
    I felt embarrassed by the booing at half and full time. Supporters indeed....
    As I said already, the stadium was full of people who were never at either a live football or Ireland game before and a fair proportion of them were gob$hites, thus the booing. Lots of armchair/tv supporters at their first game. Game served a purpose for that reason alone but just because someone pays €55 for a ticket does not entitle them to act like an embarrassing ape.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    As someone has said on the thread, any Irish friendlies are normally a joke in terms of effort and atmosphere, and normally are overpriced to boot. Irish players just don't seem to think that putting effort in during a friendly is needed regardless of when the friendly takes place. Representing their country seems to be no big deal to many of the players in the current squad, and there is no reason to think that will change anytime soon.

But I did not like the fact that they were booed during the game, it may be just me but booing your own team is something I have never liked in any sport, I tend to see it as classless. The team may be ****e, but that is no reason for the supporters to be ****e. A better way to voice displeasure is to applause the opponents after the game and leave the home team with silence.
    Agree with your second point, I don't agree with your first. The Australian football season is in full swing and Australia also had a full program of qualifiers (3 games) throughout June, so as expected they were well ahead in terms of match fitness. To my eye, none of Ireland's players were match fit and won't be until the end of August after they have a few league games under their belt. Under Brian Kerr we won nearly every friendly we played and beat the best, yet we couldn't beat eggs in the qualifiers and ended up finishing 4th. Trappatoni is the reverse, and I'll take that any day. Friendlies mean nothing, especially in pre-season. It's glorified shadow play
    Exactly! I would have gone if i could have got a seat for 20/25euro, but there was no way in hell i was going to pay 55euro for a stand ticket to watch those muppets. People keeping their money in their pockets is the only way the FAI and their overpaid overhyped prima-donnas will get the message.
    You have no business going to games. Do us all a favour and stay at home. Pot calling kettle black too
    RonMexico wrote: »
    Not everybody has the privilege to afford to go to matches and the fan sitting in front of the tv cheering them on is just as much of a fan as anyone.
    No he isn't. Plenty of tickets are available for most games while the senior team are playing in Croke Park, and the ticket prices are fair, you don't have to be privileged at all. The armchair fan just couldn't be arsed, that's the truth. Armchair supporters are not "as much of a fan as anyone" and they showed it in Thomond with pathetic booing. They stood out like a sore thumb. If you think you qualify as a football fan by just watching tv and not going to any live games, well then that says it all really
    This team displays everything that is wrong with this country as a whole - overpaid, over-rated, underworked and with a ****ty attitude to boot. The governing body, just like our own government, is incompetant, greedy and out of touch with reality. They lack credibility, organisational skills and foresight. They treat the public like mugs.

As for the team - they may be average at best but average teams can accomplish great things when they care to put in a hard graft. Too many of the players looked like they couldn't give a toss. Friendly or not you are representing your country and you should aim to give 110%, otherwise stay at home in your mansion counting the cars in your garage. People pay good money to come out and see them and the least they could do is give them a good display. If the had actually tried last night people wouldn't be so quick to criticize them, everybody has to lose sometime but at least go down fighting, not with a shrug of the shoulders.
    The team is second in their group behind the current world champions and having their best qualifying campaign in years. They lost a poxy friendly, how dare they do so the one time you actually go to a game. You're talking complete and utter s***e. Whatever sport it is you are normally into, stick to it, cos you know nothing about football

wylo wrote: »
    I cant believe people are acting shocked with last nights overall performance including the atmosphere, it was a pre-season friendly at thomond park ffs. It was a novelty match for kids and grannys to go to. Did you honestly expect the team to give it their all.

Friendlies never have and never will have a bearing on how a team is performing imo. Look how we played against Italy, granted Italy were sh1te but we still took ownership over a world class team and probably should have beat them too.
    Anyway if I go on Im only gonna be repeating everything Limerickdude said.

The only thing I have to admit though was that the ticket prices were a joke. 55euro ??? no wonder the atmosphere was sh1t , your surrounded by office middle management types who are "going down for the gander".Unless they seriously drop those ticket prices for the SA match the stadium will be empty. 15euro for terrace,and 30 for the stand is what I say.
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

As I said already, the stadium was full of people who were never at either a live football or Ireland game before and a fair proportion of them were gob$hites, thus the booing.

I though the booing was for the kids at the half-time penalty shootout when it was announced which premiership team they supported, "fans" of the rival team launched into a chorus of booing at the eleven-year-old ManU/Liverpool supporter as the case may be...

Dunno which is worse though, booing your own team or booing a kid at a half-time show.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I though the booing was for the kids at the half-time penalty shootout when it was announced which premiership team they supported, "fans" of the rival team launched into a chorus of booing at the eleven-year-old ManU/Liverpool supporter as the case may be...

Dunno which is worse though, booing your own team or booing a kid at a half-time show.

Some booing was of who the kids supported and was utterly lighthearted in every way. The "real" booing was of the team at half and full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

You have no business going to games. Do us all a favour and stay at home. Pot calling kettle black too

No he isn't. Plenty of tickets are available for most games while the senior team are playing in Croke Park, and the ticket prices are fair, you don't have to be privileged at all. The armchair fan just couldn't be arsed, that's the truth. Armchair supporters are not "as much of a fan as anyone" and they showed it in Thomond with pathetic booing. They stood out like a sore thumb. If you think you qualify as a football fan by just watching tv and not going to any live games, well then that says it all really

The team is second in their group behind the current world champions and having their best qualifying campaign in years. They lost a poxy friendly, how dare they do so the one time you actually go to a game. You're talking complete and utter s***e. Whatever sport it is you are normally into, stick to it, cos you know nothing about football

Who the fcuk do you think you are telling other people to stay at home? Just because you regularly go to games doesn't mean you can talk down to other fans. You come across as a know it all who thinks that the amount of games you went to = knowledge of the game. Sorry but you can attend all the games you want but that doesn't mean you know anything except maybe the price of a prawn sandwich. Is that what qualifies someone as a "real fan" these days? Games attended :rolleyes: I guess the thousands of fans who have never attended a game count for nothing in your eyes?

Again you fail to realise why people who fork out €55 are pissed off at the teams LACK OF EFFORT. A friendly is no excuse - England Vs Holland on the same night was a cracker of a game as were a lot of the other friendlies.

There is being unfit on the one hand and being a lazy bollix on the other. It was obvious which of the two turned up at Thomond Park. They wouldn't have been booed off the park if they had shown an ounce of actually giving a **** out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Again you fail to realise why people who fork out €55 are pissed off at the teams LACK OF EFFORT. A friendly is no excuse -

Tbh, I think your wrong here, a pre-season friendly is every excuse not to play your hearts out getting injured just to chase some meaningless novelty victory in thomond park. Fair enough there might have been other cracking matches on that night, but thats just luck of the draw, if Ireland had equalised ,that might have improved things but they didnt and they werent going to kill themselves trying to claw back a victory.

People wouldnt even care about this match only for it was on in thomond park. If your paying to see a friendly expect nothing, count yourself lucky you saw the full squad actually playing ffs. People were going there expecting this "magical" night as if they were going seeing Munster All blacks or something. Dont expect special treatment just because it was on in Thomond park because you probably wouldnt have even bothered going if it was on in Dublin.

If you wanted to pay 55euro just to see the team play , then fair enough, each to their own. Alot of people did. But if your paying that kinda money expecting some sort of competitive clash 3 days before the premiership where the team were gonna give it their all then you must be having a laugh. Your being very naive in your post in fairnes. You have to get it into your head that friendlies mean nothing, unless its Ireland England of course.

If you wanna give out about ticket prices, blame the FAI, stop buying them and they may start dropping prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

To be honest, Thomond Park should just stick to rugby.

No to foreign sports! lol :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

To be honest, Thomond Park should just stick to rugby.

No to foreign sports! lol :D:D:D

Shamrock rovers played in the park in 1960. A bit late for that really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Maybe John Delaney will be kind enough to reduce the stand ticket to 54.99. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Where did the post that was here from Eamonn666 go?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eamon666

I deleted the post after I put it up as it's more related to Aviva Stadium ticketing than Thomond Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

eamon666 wrote: »
    I deleted the post after I put it up as it's more related to Aviva Stadium ticketing than Thomond Park.

Cool. It was an interesting story though!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 eamon666

OK, here goes again so. I'm not allowed post on the soccer forum yet so here's as good as anywhere.

I’m on the FAI’s block booking list for Republic of Ireland home games since they started their series of games at Croke Park in 2007. I buy eight tickets @ €50 each for myself, friends and family for every home game including friendlies. I was telephoned yesterday by the FAI to tell me that unfortunately I wouldn’t be getting to see the boys in green playing any time soon at their fabulous new stadium on Lansdowne Road. Due to supply and demand I’m roundabout position 1,200 on the waiting list. That’s fair enough. I only signed up relatively recently and though the Aviva has more capacity (50,000) than the old Lansdowne Road (36,000 fully seated) it is a lot smaller than the cavernous Croke Park (82,300). What gets me though, is that once the bad news had been broken, the chat turned into a sales pitch for premium level Vantage Club tickets. My caller was ringing all the block bookers on the waiting list, who regularly buy six or more tickets for RoI home games, to try and sell the “prawn sandwich” tickets that cost €12,000 for ten years. I simply can’t afford that and told him so. Then his tack changed to “well, if you bought a couple of premium tickets on direct debit, we might be able to get you a couple of general admission tickets as well”. Now hang on... I thought they were all allocated. Hmmm... Apres Match once described the FAI as the best run football association in Merrion Square. They’ve moved offices but some things never change. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

eamon666 wrote: »
    OK, here goes again so. I'm not allowed post on the soccer forum yet so here's as good as anywhere.

I’m on the FAI’s block booking list for Republic of Ireland home games since they started their series of games at Croke Park in 2007. I buy eight tickets @ €50 each for myself, friends and family for every home game including friendlies. I was telephoned yesterday by the FAI to tell me that unfortunately I wouldn’t be getting to see the boys in green playing any time soon at their fabulous new stadium on Lansdowne Road. Due to supply and demand I’m roundabout position 1,200 on the waiting list. That’s fair enough. I only signed up relatively recently and though the Aviva has more capacity (50,000) than the old Lansdowne Road (36,000 fully seated) it is a lot smaller than the cavernous Croke Park (82,300). What gets me though, is that once the bad news had been broken, the chat turned into a sales pitch for premium level Vantage Club tickets. My caller was ringing all the block bookers on the waiting list, who regularly buy six or more tickets for RoI home games, to try and sell the “prawn sandwich” tickets that cost €12,000 for ten years. I simply can’t afford that and told him so. Then his tack changed to “well, if you bought a couple of premium tickets on direct debit, we might be able to get you a couple of general admission tickets as well”. Now hang on... I thought they were all allocated. Hmmm... Apres Match once described the FAI as the best run football association in Merrion Square. They’ve moved offices but some things never change. :(
    Everyone on the BB list was offered this, I think I've had about 3 letters/shiny promo packages through the door already.

Regarding BB for Lansdowne, in all fairness to the FAI this was stated quite clearly before the move to Croke Park - it was always the case that only BB's from the old Lansdowne plus a certain number from the top of the waiting list could only be catered for in the new Lansdowne. A lot of the extra seating in the stadium has been made premium/corporate - a joint decision by the IRFU/FAI. I'm a BB but I have mates on the BB waiting list who are getting tickets now but might not make the cut for the Aviva. At 1,200 you could still make it yet though, they could just be chancing their arm with the Premium tickets.........
    Who the fcuk do you think you are telling other people to stay at home? Just because you regularly go to games doesn't mean you can talk down to other fans. You come across as a know it all who thinks that the amount of games you went to = knowledge of the game. Sorry but you can attend all the games you want but that doesn't mean you know anything except maybe the price of a prawn sandwich. Is that what qualifies someone as a "real fan" these days? Games attended :rolleyes: I guess the thousands of fans who have never attended a game count for nothing in your eyes?

Again you fail to realise why people who fork out €55 are pissed off at the teams LACK OF EFFORT. A friendly is no excuse - England Vs Holland on the same night was a cracker of a game as were a lot of the other friendlies.

There is being unfit on the one hand and being a lazy bollix on the other. It was obvious which of the two turned up at Thomond Park. They wouldn't have been booed off the park if they had shown an ounce of actually giving a **** out there.
    Lol. I'm talking about the moaning idiots who call the players 'muppets' to stay at home. 'Fans' like this are not wanted, by any team in any sport. What business has anyone going to 'support' a team if this is the attitude? Stay at home/in the pub. And in any case, any 'fan' who has this attitude quite frankly hasn't a bulls notion about what they're talking about or about football as a game. Most probably an armchair or a rugby supporter who thinks friendlies are played at the same level as competitive games like test matches are. Not so unfortunately, welcome to reality. The Thomond Park friendly was exactly the same as every other friendly that Landsdowne Road/Croke park has held over the years. No different at all. The only one's complaining are the one off supporters. See wylo's post below for some common sense ;)

And by the way, a match going fan is more of a fan than the tv fan every day of the week, and yes, would have more knowledge of the game as you can see a lot more play/tactics wise from the stands than you can from your tv (off the ball running/work etc) - and you don't need some gob$hite pundit to tell you what's what either. If you think the opposite I'd suggest you start going to live games. You might understand then.
    wylo wrote: »
    Tbh, I think your wrong here, a pre-season friendly is every excuse not to play your hearts out getting injured just to chase some meaningless novelty victory in thomond park. Fair enough there might have been other cracking matches on that night, but thats just luck of the draw, if Ireland had equalised ,that might have improved things but they didnt and they werent going to kill themselves trying to claw back a victory.

People wouldnt even care about this match only for it was on in thomond park. If your paying to see a friendly expect nothing, count yourself lucky you saw the full squad actually playing ffs. People were going there expecting this "magical" night as if they were going seeing Munster All blacks or something. Dont expect special treatment just because it was on in Thomond park because you probably wouldnt have even bothered going if it was on in Dublin.

If you wanted to pay 55euro just to see the team play , then fair enough, each to their own. Alot of people did. But if your paying that kinda money expecting some sort of competitive clash 3 days before the premiership where the team were gonna give it their all then you must be having a laugh. Your being very naive in your post in fairnes. You have to get it into your head that friendlies mean nothing, unless its Ireland England of course.

If you wanna give out about ticket prices, blame the FAI, stop buying them and they may start dropping prices.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

<EDIT>
    Lol. I'm talking about the moaning idiots who call the players 'muppets' to stay at home. 'Fans' like this are not wanted, by any team in any sport. What business has anyone going to 'support' a team if this is the attitude? Stay at home/in the pub. And in any case, any 'fan' who has this attitude quite frankly hasn't a bulls notion about what they're talking about or about football as a game. Most probably an armchair or a rugby supporter who thinks friendlies are played at the same level as competitive games like test matches are. Not so unfortunately, welcome to reality. The Thomond Park friendly was exactly the same as every other friendly that Landsdowne Road/Croke park has held over the years. No different at all. The only one's complaining are the one off supporters. See wylo's post below for some common sense ;)

And by the way, a match going fan is more of a fan than the tv fan every day of the week, and yes, would have more knowledge of the game as you can see a lot more play/tactics wise from the stands than you can from your tv (off the ball running/work etc) - and you don't need some gob$hite pundit to tell you what's what either. If you think the opposite I'd suggest you start going to live games. You might understand then.

Heard this conversation on the Bus the day before Ireland Versus* Australia.

* Is "versus" the right word? Should that just be Ireland were on the same pitch as Australia for 90 long, boring, irritating, shameful minutes.

Hey Dad are we going to the Soccer match on Saturday for my Birthday?!!!!
    Kids Dad wrote:
    Son I told ya - its not a Soccer match its a friendly
    Oh. Will Robbie Keane be playing?
    Kids Dad wrote:
    I told ya son, its a friendly - there'll be nobody playing
    Is Uncle Kevin going?
    Kids Dad wrote:
    No son - tickets prices are ludicrous - he needs to get a second job first
    Will the crowd be going mad and singing and stuff Dad?
    Kids Dad wrote:
    Son! How many times do I have to tell you? Its a friendly! They'll watch the mindless back-passing in silence and leave 20 minutes early
    Aw Dad - I know its my Birthday treat and all - but I'd like to catch up on homework instead on Saturday.
    Kids Dad wrote:
    You know nothing about live soccer you dumb kid - I'm not even sure you're mine. A real soccer fan would appreciate seeing girls play like they've never even seen each other before. You're an ungrateful little bóllocks
    Well you're a brainwashed Moron Dad - I wish you had a clue about real, entertaining, exiting, professional, competitive sport, I'm going to start telling the other kids at school you're my Stepdad out of shame.

Advertisement