Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammer drill V SDS drill

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Having endured no end of hassle trying to drill into paving stones with a hammer drill I bit the bullet and bought a SDS drill and a few SDS bits, unbelievable, what took an hour and a number of destroyed bits with the hammer drill, the SDS did in seconds.

Is there anything better than having the right tools for the job? Happy days!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Yeah if you have a big job to do like breaking up paving slabs then the SDS is the way to go. My 15 year old Bosch hammer drill died when I tried to use it to drill a 40mm diametre hole through a wall with a core bit. I then hired a sds drill with a 40mm bit and the job was done in seconds. I had the drill returned to the hire shop 20 mins after I hired it!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Yep an SDS drill is the business.

I believe it has something to do with a piston but know almost nothing else about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Lads this feels like a my [EMAIL="d@ck"]d@ck[/EMAIL] is bigger than your thread :D but yes if I were doing it all again i would go SDS. it is the dogs.

In fact for the amount of time a drill is used at home you can buy a cheap SDS in argos which if lasted you 10 yeas would be better than paying 3 times the price for a dear one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I'd go a bit further and say if you are drilling a lot of holes then buy really good quality SDS bits to go in your SDS drill. I must have drilled THOSANDS of holes with one 10mm hilti bit I had before I finally wore the shaft so thin it broke. If I can afford them I find that hilti bits drill even quicker clear the holes better and and last longer than any other bits I use, but having said that when they have them the LIDL/ALDI sets are still good value ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Bosch make a good SDS bit too and you can get them for reasonable money online. Before I bought a good SDS (years ago) I had a cheapie from Argos which did lots of hard work before the hammer action wore out but even then I was able to put in a mixing paddle it was still great for mixing up tile adhesive and mortar. Best £60 I ever spent. Using a good quality tool that's designed for the job is always a pleasure and gives me a buzz everytime- one I never tire of!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Having endured no end of hassle trying to drill into paving stones with a hammer drill I bit the bullet and bought a SDS drill and a few SDS bits, unbelievable, what took an hour and a number of destroyed bits with the hammer drill, the SDS did in seconds.

Is there anything better than having the right tools for the job? Happy days!
    Not having to do the job in the first place: telly/beer/hurling semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Not having to do the job in the first place: telly/beer/hurling semi final

+1

Advertisement