Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there cheaper childcare out there?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Like everyone at the moment, I'm seriously trying to cut my costs and after the mortgage, my biggest pay-out is my childcare. I have a 7yr old who is going into 2nd class and I live in Dublin. I'm currently paying 120pw for his afterschool care - this includes collecting (at 2.30) from school/homework/hot meal/playtime and I pick him up at 5.45 each evening. So it's for 3 and a quarter hours per day..

Over the summer months, when he's been there for the full week, I've been paying 200pw. I had him in some summer camps and a/school dropped & collected him from there - these weeks I paid 100pw plus the cost of the camp, so no real savings there!

Anyway, I'm aware that my childcare is my biggest hurdle (financially) and any time I ask around, people always say would you not see if you can get it somewhere else a bit cheaper (like a sahm perhaps) etc. I haven't really actively looked for another place for him but am seriously considering it, as he's not very happy in the current place anyway.

So just wondering if other people have found a much cheaper alternative to afterschool, at a cheaper rate or if you could offer some advice?? Or is that about the average price in Dublin at the moment??
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm paying 15euro a day for a similar service and I'm also in dublin...your afterschool care does sound pretty expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

That seems like a reasonable price, I can't see you getting after school care any cheaper tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I take it that's for a creche afterschool for that price. A recession always brings in a black economy. There's more and more people out there doing child minding for cash. Check you local supermarker notice boards. Ask neighbours if they know someone. There'll always be someone for cheaper than that, but you'll obviously have to be comfortable with the person

I've my 10 month old in a creche at the moment for €937 a month and are trying to trim a few bills too, but there's no sign of any reduction in fees coming our way :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacksmam

Yes it's for afterschool..I was paying something similar for his creche when he was younger - it's funny because you think when they start school it'll be cheaper, but you've every day off and every summer holiday to pay double for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

I know its not for everone, but the cheapest form of childcare is an au pair. Or maybe a sahm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,
    Def a bit on the steep side.I'm a montessori and childcare owner,I charge €100 a week for afterschool care collection and dinner etc included.I charge it as a flat rate so its €100 every week through holidays days off etc. I charge €150 for a fulltime child under5 that includes food montessori etc.Try puting the word out in your childs school,often mums out there who could use the extra money at a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AMK

I was paying 190 pw to my childminder and looked for a reduction earlier this year. My child is 10 so it was afterschool care and full time during the holidays. I wanted to reduce it to 150 pw but she didn't agree. So I left. I now have a lovely childminder in the same area. I pay her 150 for a five day week or a minimum of 120 for a four day week or less. It is the same in the holidays as during the school term. And I don't have to pay her when I'm off work myself. After 190 pw I think this is great value. Plus she minds other kids and my child is much happier there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

:confused: OP-Why on earth would you put your child into a place he is not happy with?
    I'm a Montessori teacher and every year I'm amazed when parents come to my school to transfer children to my service when their children have clearly been attending inferior services for months. They had told their parents from day one they were unhappy and yet the parents continued to send them in and pay the fees. I do not understand why parents do this to their children-you don't get a second shot with your childhood experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jacksmam

I do appreciate what you're saying - but I've changed his childcare 3 times (one CM moved house and I wasn't happy with 2nd place) since he started school and had hoped he would eventually settle in to this a/school place. but it appears not...

I have since found a CM (a neighbour) who is going to mind him from next month - we havent agreed a price yet - what do you think would be a fair price for collect at 2.30 and then I'm home at 6? So that's 3.5hrs per day...have already discussed the fact that I'd like not to pay when I'm off work and she's happy with that - her little fella is in the school right next to my sons and they play together anyway...Any ideas of a price? I'm hoping to offer her 90pw...is that VERY low?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

is she a qualified childminder?i am fully qualified and would be looking to work those hours for around 90-100 euro so i think its a fair price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

jacksmam wrote: »
    Like everyone at the moment, I'm seriously trying to cut my costs and after the mortgage, my biggest pay-out is my childcare. I have a 7yr old who is going into 2nd class and I live in Dublin. I'm currently paying 120pw for his afterschool care - this includes collecting (at 2.30) from school/homework/hot meal/playtime and I pick him up at 5.45 each evening. So it's for 3 and a quarter hours per day..

Over the summer months, when he's been there for the full week, I've been paying 200pw. I had him in some summer camps and a/school dropped & collected him from there - these weeks I paid 100pw plus the cost of the camp, so no real savings there!

Anyway, I'm aware that my childcare is my biggest hurdle (financially) and any time I ask around, people always say would you not see if you can get it somewhere else a bit cheaper (like a sahm perhaps) etc. I haven't really actively looked for another place for him but am seriously considering it, as he's not very happy in the current place anyway.

So just wondering if other people have found a much cheaper alternative to afterschool, at a cheaper rate or if you could offer some advice?? Or is that about the average price in Dublin at the moment??
    Thanks for reading.
    does the minder pick the child up in her car if so i think the price is ok.a fiver an hour is the norm.another thing ive noticed with a lot of parents is the fact that they dont want to pay up when they themselves are sick.a parent wouldent like it if they dident get there sick pay.why should the minder suffer.its not the minders fault

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

jacksmam wrote: »
    I do appreciate what you're saying - but I've changed his childcare 3 times (one CM moved house and I wasn't happy with 2nd place) since he started school and had hoped he would eventually settle in to this a/school place. but it appears not...

I have since found a CM (a neighbour) who is going to mind him from next month - we havent agreed a price yet - what do you think would be a fair price for collect at 2.30 and then I'm home at 6? So that's 3.5hrs per day...have already discussed the fact that I'd like not to pay when I'm off work and she's happy with that - her little fella is in the school right next to my sons and they play together anyway...Any ideas of a price? I'm hoping to offer her 90pw...is that VERY low?

I've no idea if it's high or low, but I pay my mother €100 to mind my son from 1.45 - 5.15 (or earlier) for 4 days a week.

At breaks, I also put him in camps etc as he's very active and I don't think it's fair for my 67 year old mother to mind him all day. (that's my opinion, my son is extremely active, as is my mother, but he's too much for her 9-5 and I don't want to lose her as his minder!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thread is years old. Please try not to drag up threads that are too old. If you have a question, post it in a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement