Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with optimising picture and sound quality...

• 10-08-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Heya folks. I just need a bit of advice on a couple of things. I'm not big into technology, so help would be appreciated!

First off, I'm after buying a 50inch Samsung Plasma TV recently, and while its the business, I feel the picture could be improved. Can anyone recommend any decent cables or leads that I can connect from the Chorus box/DVD Player to my TV?

Secondly, I have my stereo system hooked up to the TV, but sound isnt as good as it should be. Again, I'm sure there are good quality cables which might help, but I just dont know where to start looking!

Also, I'd like to hook up the laptop to my TV. What leads do I need for this, and whats best?

Last but not least, the TV is HD Ready. Would I notice a massive difference in picture quality if I was to buy a blue ray player?

I'd really appreciate some help in these matters as me and technology dont really go hand in hand! :P It'd be helpful if I could get links to where I can get these too, so if I could get links to the Amazon site or whatever.... I dont ask for much, do I!!?! :p

Thanks in advance folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Undertow wrote: »
    Heya folks. I just need a bit of advice on a couple of things. I'm not big into technology, so help would be appreciated!

First off, I'm after buying a 50inch Samsung Plasma TV recently, and while its the business, I feel the picture could be improved. Can anyone recommend any decent cables or leads that I can connect from the Chorus box/DVD Player to my TV?

Secondly, I have my stereo system hooked up to the TV, but sound isnt as good as it should be. Again, I'm sure there are good quality cables which might help, but I just dont know where to start looking!

Also, I'd like to hook up the laptop to my TV. What leads do I need for this, and whats best?

Last but not least, the TV is HD Ready. Would I notice a massive difference in picture quality if I was to buy a blue ray player?

I'd really appreciate some help in these matters as me and technology dont really go hand in hand! :P It'd be helpful if I could get links to where I can get these too, so if I could get links to the Amazon site or whatever.... I dont ask for much, do I!!?! :p

Thanks in advance folks!

In my opinion its a waste of money buying monster,or any other big name cables or leads,
    Head over to www.avforums.com and put in your model number and setting and somebody on there will probably have the setting already up....

For your laptop you probably need a DVI to DVI cable

And yes a blueray on a HD ready TV would give you a beautiful picture

Can I recommend this - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=443342

Hope this helps

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Legend! Thanks a million. Yep, its definitely a starting point anyway! :D

Nice recommendation re: Blue Ray dvd player. Seems reasonable enough for a top machine. Might look into buying it in the not to distant future!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bilbert55

Don't go for monster cables as said but def get a good quality lead! This will bring up the pic quality a fair bit. because you've gone for a 50", the picture quality will seem worse than the 42 or 37 etc....

Connecting audio? using expensive leads for stereo seems pointless. If its a good surround system then yea but for stereo you prob wont notice much of a difference.

Theres loads of posts here about connecting laptops to tv.
    Usually, there is an hdmi output, which is handy, just connect using hdmi to hdmi lead. If not that, then use the vga output or s-video.

And Blue-Ray! a must for a high def junkie like me!!

Bilbert55 wrote: »
    Don't go for monster cables as said but def get a good quality lead! This will bring up the pic quality a fair bit. because you've gone for a 50", the picture quality will seem worse than the 42 or 37 etc....

Connecting audio? using expensive leads for stereo seems pointless. If its a good surround system then yea but for stereo you prob wont notice much of a difference.

Theres loads of posts here about connecting laptops to tv.
    Usually, there is an hdmi output, which is handy, just connect using hdmi to hdmi lead. If not that, then use the vga output or s-video.

And Blue-Ray! a must for a high def junkie like me!!

But would you notice much difference compared to a DVD Player on a HD Ready tv?

What would you recommend as a good quality lead to optimize picture quality then?

And yeah, its a 5.1 surround system (toshiba). I splashed out £800 on it 3 years ago so I'd consider it a good surround system! The sound is good, but if I could get it better with the right cables, do educate me! :D

Aye, I'm slowly learning bout cables for connecting laptops to TV's. DVI-DVI cables seem to be the way to go, but whats the difference between a cable for 50euro and 5euro? Is it really a case of you get what you pay for?

Cheers for the help folks. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks in advance folks!

Hi,
    Regarding the NTL box, for your normal tv viewing a good scart lead is going to yield good improvments in picture quality but make sure that you select RGB output on the NTL box and that its connected to a RGB enabled input. You don't need to spend crazy money on a scart lead €20, €30 is plenty and don't buy Monster cables totally overpriced and Monster should be done for fraud if you ask me.

Settings on your plasma are important too. I would turn off all picture processing e.g sharpness, dynamic contrast etc. And use the cinema/movie preset as this is usually the most accurate.

One thing to keep in mind is that viewing SD content on a 50" is going to show up digital compression artefacts but thats the comprimise you have to make by have a "big screen". HD sources and content will make up for that though.:)

Get yourself a bluray player. When connected via HDMI your DVDs and Bluray discs will look great. A must have if you have a big HD screen. You will notice a massive improvement.

Also give some thought to buying a Freesat HD box. This will give you access to BBC HD and ITV HD as well as all the free channels i.e all the BBC channels , ITV, Channel 4, E4 etc.

You will need a satelite to receive this though but it's a one off payment and well worth it. This will be connected with HDMI cable to your TV so improved SD also.

Good luck,
    Moo

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Regarding the NTL box, for your normal tv viewing a good scart lead is going to yield good improvments in picture quality but make sure that you select RGB output on the NTL box and that its connected to a RGB enabled input. You don't need to spend crazy money on a scart lead €20, €30 is plenty and don't buy Monster cables totally overpriced and Monster should be done for fraud if you ask me.

Settings on your plasma are important too. I would turn off all picture processing e.g sharpness, dynamic contrast etc. And use the cinema/movie preset as this is usually the most accurate.

One thing to keep in mind is that viewing SD content on a 50" is going to show up digital compression artefacts but thats the comprimise you have to make by have a "big screen". HD sources and content will make up for that though.:)

Get yourself a bluray player. When connected via HDMI your DVDs and Bluray discs will look great. A must have if you have a big HD screen. You will notice a massive improvement.

Also give some thought to buying a Freesat HD box. This will give you access to BBC HD and ITV HD as well as all the free channels i.e all the BBC channels , ITV, Channel 4, E4 etc.

You will need a satelite to receive this though but it's a one off payment and well worth it. This will be connected with HDMI cable to your TV so improved SD also.

Good luck,
    Moo

Cheers for those recommendations, I must check out those settings on my Chorus box when I get home. Is there much of a difference in quality between your bog standard scart lead, and one you'd spend 20/30e on?

Interesting bout the blueray player too. It seems to be that it would be a worthwhile investment then. Originally I wasnt too sure if there would be much difference, especially as the TV is HD Ready as opposed to Full HD. By the way, how could the DVD'S look better? Is it because of the HDMI cable you speak of? I assumed the HDMI cable is one which links the blueray player to the TV, and wouldnt have anything to do with DVD players....

Can you recommend any cables in particular which would make a big difference, or where I can buy these from?

Apologies for the stupid questions by the way, I'm really only learning when it comes to all this craic... :o

Cheers for those recommendations, I must check out those settings on my Chorus box when I get home. Is there much of a difference in quality between your bog standard scart lead, and one you'd spend 20/30e on?

Interesting bout the blueray player too. It seems to be that it would be a worthwhile investment then. Originally I wasnt too sure if there would be much difference, especially as the TV is HD Ready as opposed to Full HD. By the way, how could the DVD'S look better? Is it because of the HDMI cable you speak of? I assumed the HDMI cable is one which links the blueray player to the TV, and wouldnt have anything to do with DVD players....

Can you recommend any cables in particular which would make a big difference, or where I can buy these from?

Apologies for the stupid questions by the way, I'm really only learning when it comes to all this craic... :o

The scart leads that come free with dvd players, sat boxes etc are usually very poor quality, I throw them away, they really are pure rubbish. Some of them mightn't even be able to carry a RGB signal.
    Get yourself a half decent one, doesn't have to be expensive (some nutters pay hundreds) and feed your TV a RGB signal and if you don't see an improvement I'd be amazed.

A bluray player will make your DVD player redundent as it will play both formats. Bluray players will also upscale your DVDs to HD resolution usually with great results. You will notice the difference on a HD Ready set too.

The scart leads that come free with dvd players, sat boxes etc are usually very poor quality, I throw them away, they really are pure rubbish. Some of them mightn't even be able to carry a RGB signal.
    Get yourself a half decent one, doesn't have to be expensive (some nutters pay hundreds) and feed your TV a RGB signal and if you don't see an improvement I'd be amazed.

A bluray player will make your DVD player redundent as it will play both formats. Bluray players will also upscale your DVDs to HD resolution usually with great results. You will notice the difference on a HD Ready set too.

Excellent stuff Moolers. Would you be so kind as to recommend a Scart lead then? Off Amazon or Komplett or whatever. Scart-Scart is what I'm looking for yeah?

And ta for explaining that about bluerays/dvds... I didnt realise blueray players played both formats! :o I think I might invest in the Panasonic one recommded earlier in the thread- seems reasonably priced for a very good machine! :)

Excellent stuff Moolers. Would you be so kind as to recommend a Scart lead then? Off Amazon or Komplett or whatever. Scart-Scart is what I'm looking for yeah?

And ta for explaining that about bluerays/dvds... I didnt realise blueray players played both formats! :o I think I might invest in the Panasonic one recommded earlier in the thread- seems reasonably priced for a very good machine! :)

Yeah scart to scart. Amazon have a 1.5m Thor scart which is very highly regarded for the money. Its fairly heavy and chunky though. And for a few quid more they also have a 1.5m IXOS which should be very good too.

You cant go wrong with either to be honest but if it was me I'd get the IXOS.
    Good choice with the Pansonic. Grab yorself a HDMI cable too, anyone will do.
    Good luck.

Yeah scart to scart. Amazon have a 1.5m Thor scart which is very highly regarded for the money. Its fairly heavy and chunky though. And for a few quid more they also have a 1.5m IXOS which should be very good too.

You cant go wrong with either to be honest but if it was me I'd get the IXOS.
    Good choice with the Pansonic. Grab yorself a HDMI cable too, anyone will do.
    Good luck.

Fair play to ya. Excellent advice, much appreciated! A cyber pint is winging its way to you! I'll let you know how I get on! :)

• Advertisement

Right I have the Thor Cable sorted, and in my shopping bag on Amazon! £22. I've seen this HDMI Cable for £1.93, and its got great reviews! Seems to be no difference between this one, and one worth £100+.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250082079&sr=1-1

What do ye think?

Should I connect the DVD player and the TV with the Scart, or the Chorus box and the TV? And even though I dont have a blueray player at the mo, would I notice a fair difference in quality if I hook up my DVD Player to my TV with the HDMI cable?

Right I have the Thor Cable sorted, and in my shopping bag on Amazon! £22. I've seen this HDMI Cable for £1.93, and its got great reviews! Seems to be no difference between this one, and one worth £100+.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250082079&sr=1-1

What do ye think?

Should I connect the DVD player and the TV with the Scart, or the Chorus box and the TV? And even though I dont have a blueray player at the mo, would I notice a fair difference in quality if I hook up my DVD Player to my TV with the HDMI cable?

I'd normally avoid real cheap cables of any kind but as long as it works it's fine. Can't argue with the price.
    Use the scart for your NTL box, I assume you watch TV more than your DVD player.
    Does your dvd player have a HDMI output? If so use the HDMI cable. What's the make/model of your DVD player?

Also do not forget to set up your TV correctly. This is probably the biggest mistake people make with TVs. Factory settings are usually terrible. And getting them rightish is a free upgrade.
    Let me know make/model of TV too.

Get a bluray player for yourself as soon as you can. You have a HDTV and no HD sources......!!! Crazy!!!

I didnt actually think there would be a big difference because my TV was HD Ready, and not Full HD... :o

Right, my DVD Player doesnt actually have a HDMI slot but have no fear, I have this Blueray player ordered! http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=443342 I also have an Xbox 360 which I hardly ever use. Those HDMI cables are meant to make a big difference to that too, I believe!

As I said, I've ordered that Thor Scart label and have a HDMI cable sorted. There's a HDMI cable in Argos for £35quid too, looks ok. Might get that if the other one is crap! Shouldnt be though, it got great reviews and I've been told there's no difference between the ones going for 5e and 50e so we'll see!

The make of my TV is Samsung and its 50". Dont ask me the Model number, but its really nice. I'll try find that out for you. Got it in Electrocity for £1000 at Xmas....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Just for your information, they guys over in the Richersounds forum often do 'silly' deals on cables to clear stock. Might be worth an ask?

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Just for your information, they guys over in the Richersounds forum often do 'silly' deals on cables to clear stock. Might be worth an ask?

Aye, cheers man! Do ya reckon I need anymore, apart from the Scart-Scart and HDMI cables?

Heya folks. Just to let y'all know that my Panasonic Blue Ray Player was delivered yesterday, as well as my HDMI Cable and Thor Scart-Scart.

First off I hooked up the Scart-Scart from my Chorus box-TV and have to admit, I didnt see a massive difference, certainly not as good as what I was expecting. But maybe I was expecting too much!

Then I hooked up my Blue Ray Player and all I can say is WOW! The picture is really stunning, and thats just playing normal DVD's! I can imagine how good it is with blue rays in it! So I'm pretty much sorted now. Very tempted to sign up to Sky Sports & Movies HD after seeing such a huge difference.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me along and who gave sound advice! ;)

Advertisement