Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"No Overnight Parking"

• 10-08-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a brief history ... I had a transit camper for the last 10/12 years or so and have been out of the scene for the last 2 years due to work commitments and the transit was aging and really needed a replacement..
    So this year I bought a 98 6 berth Hymer and we are delighted with it..

In general I don't use campsites as I need nothing... I am completely self sufficient and find the B&B rates of some campsites way too much for a parking spot.. If I had children with me it would be different but our lad has flown the nest and now it's just the 2 of us...

To my dismay I am now finding many of the excellent spots I used to use over the years now with "No Overnight Parking" signs or with height restrictions fitted... In particular parking near beaches seem to have a lot of these and in most of the tourist areas..

Some have even gone as far as "NO Motorhomes and NO caravans"

My questions are

have you also noticed the increase in these signs?
    who puts them up?
    Who decides where they go?
    are they enforcable?
    are we that bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Macspower wrote: »
    Hi All,
    have you also noticed the increase in these signs?

Not as much as I've noticed MH's parked up at spots which used to be quiet.
    who puts them up? Who decides where they go?[ /quote]

The councils I'd imagine.
    are they enforcable?[ /quote]

maybe by the local gardai, if they were bothered.
    are we that bad?[ /quote]

Yes and No, the village where i live often has vans parked up quay side and there are generally no issues. However, I could see it becoming a problem if there was lots of vans at once (the most we have would be 5/6 vans over a busy weekend). That said, maybe it wouldn't.

I could see a couple of busy weekends --> some not so happy locals --> phone call to local councilor --> No overnighting signage.

I'm hoping the recession will curb it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I've also noticed the increase in motorhomes as well of course.. good point

Cross posted from another forum.... Applies to scotland as far as I can see

Dear All, GOOD NEWS

As you may be aware I have been in contact with ScotlandTranserv whom maintain the Trunk road network in Scotland for the Highland Council regarding the increase in No Overnight Parking signs
    here is their reply I am supprised by the outcome

this is the Email received

Dear Mr Barker:

In regards to: No Overnight Parking signs on the trunk road network

Following the initial correspondence which had been received on the 3rd August 2009, Scotland TranServ has fully investigated the details of your correspondence and is pleased to report our findings which are noted below.

Since your initial correspondence has been received, a detailed investigation has taken place and I am pleased to confirm that the signs are not legally enforcable and act as a detterent to ensure the safety of the travelling public is not compromised with large numbers of traffic potentially leaving and entering onto the trunk road network.

I trust that I have been able to answer your query sufficiently, however if you have any further questions or wish to report any further information please contact me using the methods shown below.

To report defects please telephone 0800 028 1414, this service is available on a 24 hour basis and is operational 365 days a year.

Alternatively, you may wish to report defects using the web page shown below. Please note this is only monitored during 9am to 5pm each work day.

Scotland Transerv - Defect Reporting

If you have a general enquiry the web address below is available and is checked during 9am to 5pm each work day.

Scotland Transerv - Contact Details

In addition to these methods, I can be contacted during 8am to 4pm each work day on the contact details shown below. Alternatively please phone 0800 032 2520 out with these hours for general enquiries relating to the trunk road.

Regards

xxxxxxx xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

A friend of mine who is quite high up in the town council where I live has told me that these signs are put up to give the council some clout if the more undesireable of the travelling community decide to settle in an area. If the signs are not there it leaves them in a difficult situation when it comes to trying to move them on. Its also something to do with insurance in case someone makes a claim, the council have some kind of fall back as in "you shouldn't have been there". Apparently the garda could enforce it if they where pushed, I've been staying in places with these signs since I got my van at the beginning of the year with no problems, The garda have come around but have never approched me. It actually made me feel better to know that they patrolled the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i was gonna ask if the travellers may have been the cause.
    macspower what transit did you have and what happened to it?we have a mk2 camper.

• Advertisement

bugsntinas wrote: »
    i was gonna ask if the travellers may have been the cause.
    macspower what transit did you have and what happened to it?we have a mk2 camper.

Mine was a mk3 high roof LWB camper van.. converted from a minibus... this van owes me absolutely nothing!!

It has done everything asked of it over the years without missing a beat and is now back in use carrying materials for my new self build house... engine doesn't seem to have an end to it...

Advertisement