Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao offer and college transfer

• 10-08-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

ok, so i've read the cao booklet like a million times, but what if i refused the offers given to me in round 1(both lvl 7 & 8), will they still offer me something in round 2?
    another question, if i'm in a certain college, can i transfer to another college doing different course without repeating leaving cert? coz i think i wanna do a year or two in cork then move to dublin, but would hate it if i have to do the lc again:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

You have to apply to the college and meet with the admin of the one you want to transfer to. It's quite easy to transfer to the same course but in different colleges. Say you did engineering in Cork for 1st and 2nd year, you could transfer to Dublin and cmplete just years 3 and 4 of the course there.
    You don't have to do your leveing cert again.
    To change courses you would possibly have to reapply through the CAO but not do the leaving cert again. Loads of people do it, but the thing is you would have to pay repeat fees of around 5000, and beacuse you would be starting college again, you have the possibility of being hit with college fess on top of that! Not a great option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ok, so i've read the cao booklet like a million times, but what if i refused the offers given to me in round 1(both lvl 7 & 8), will they still offer me something in round 2?
    Only if a higher choice than the one(s) you have already been offered in Round 1 becomes available in Round 2 ... it could happen, but there's no guarantee.

If you accept an offer in Round 1, and a higher choice becomes available in Round 2, you will still be offered it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

another question, if i'm in a certain college, can i transfer to another college doing different course without repeating leaving cert? coz i think i wanna do a year or two in cork then move to dublin, but would hate it if i have to do the lc again:(

you can transfer after obtaining 60 credits and matching the GRADE requirements (like for engineering u do still need a c3 in math at h level, but it wont matter if you scored lower points), (usually by passing 2 semesters or 1 year of a level 8 course you are awarded 60 credits) its somewhere in E.U's educational charter that credit hours are transferable in similar courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

sorry to butt in on thread but could someone tell me, ifff i was offered midwifery in dundalk it, passed the first year,could i transfer to ucd or tcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

leesmom wrote: »
    sorry to butt in on thread but could someone tell me, ifff i was offered midwifery in dundalk it, passed the first year,could i transfer to ucd or tcd

if they are all level 8, and you meet the subject requirements from LC, then probably but they still might look at your grades, you if your borderline then they might refuse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

maybe if i work my ass off they might let me:o
    hopefully ill get college in dublin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stace_face

hi just wondering if anyone knows if i could transfer to dundalk IT next year, im in my first year in university of limerick doin midwifery?? hoping to do the same course but in DKIT 2 b closer to home..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Just wondering how to get the cao handbook this year (2010) as I took a gap year? (in paper now)
    Thanks to anyone who replys
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just wondering how to get the cao handbook this year (2010) as I took a gap year? (in paper now)
    Thanks to anyone who replys
    :rolleyes:
    I doubt very much if the 2010 CAO handbook is available yet ... certainly the most recent one on their site is the 2009 version.

They've barely finished shepherding this year's lot along to college, let alone started to think about next year's lot! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 conallsmyth

i was just wondering im a arts student and if i complete my year here in ucd and then can i transfer to st pats drumcondra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i was just wondering im a arts student and if i complete my year here in ucd and then can i transfer to st pats drumcondra?

Contact St.Pats is my advise, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Advertisement