Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half marathon as part of long run...

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

I am planning on running the Dublin Marathon this year and i'm hoping to run the Dublin Half as part of my 20 mile long run.

Should i run the extra 7ish miles before or after the race?

I reckon before might be easier but i dont want to arrive at the start too early and have to wait around...

Is anybody else doing the same thing? Or is it even a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

I did this in DCM training in 2007 but changed the plan last year and didn't.
    First time around I made up the miles after the race but it didn't work for me. I was worn out after the race so the rest of the training miles were v v slow. Also, mentally I was drained and seeing everyone else eating and heading for home was horrible : (

Last year and this year I modified the plan so that I only go the race distance on race day and get the longer miles in on other days. All depends on if you want to 'run' or 'race' the half marathon. You won't do your best possible race if you do 7 miles beforehand. However, if it's just a training run then go for it afterwards. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What about a 3 mile easy jog warm-up and the same after?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It can be difficult to do a race as training. It takes a fair bit of self-control and experience not to get your "race face" on and to do the training race at the correct pace. Like you say, it's easier to do the extra miles first but you have to time it very well.

Another alternative (if you've been running a while) is to do your 20 miler midweek and swap your longest midweek run for the half marathon? Of course this depends on the mileage of the plan you are following. It's not very useful if your longest midweek run is 7 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

If you do a half as a race I would count it as a long run. 13.1 raced will bring you on more than a 22 mile LSR. I wouldn't get too hung up on the miles as if you properly race 13.1 you'll be pretty sore and might be better off recovering than trying to plod out 7 miles to keep some spreadsheet happy.

My advice: do the race with a normal warm-up, enjoy it. Do a slightly longer warm-down if you're up for it but do a longer than normal midweek run on the week following (e.g. if you normally do 8 on wednesday do 14-16).

I definitely would not do the 7 miles before the race as the potential to get injured would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Hi guys, thanks for the fast replies!

think your right hunnymonster, not sure if i can hold back and run my training pace so think i'll follow your advice mrak and just run the half at marathon pace and up the mileage on my midweek run.

Hopefully i can get to October injury free!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

cphowlin wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for the fast replies!

think your right hunnymonster, not sure if i can hold back and run my training pace so think i'll follow your advice mrak and just run the half at marathon pace and up the mileage on my midweek run.

Hopefully i can get to October injury free!

Hi

Another possibility which I'm toying with myself is running 10 miles steady before the half (not immediately before) and trying to run the half at goal marathon pace.

This might replicate miles 7 - 20 ish of the actual marathon. Running at goal pace would be made a lot easier in the race environment.

Advertisement