Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studio Lighting question

• 10-08-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I'm about to buy some studio flashes, looking at a 400w set. Just wondering what is the light difference between a 400W set and a 200W set ? Is it one stop ?

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I'd check the guide number (GN) to see what it says. It usually measures in Meters. The 200 watt-sec refers to the amount of power stored in the units capacitors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are referring to Studio Stobes then they are rated in Watt/seconds (same as Joules)

The Guide number will vary depending on the accessory placed in front.

Each doubling or halving of the power will change one F Stop.

So the 200W light will be one f Stop dimmer than a 400W light in the same situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thank you kindly sirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I have a set of lights
    they are 180w
    my studio is the living room of my 3 bed mid-ter house
    the lights never go over 1/4 of power, usually lower than that
    even when taking at f/8
    I don't see the point of bigger lights unless you shot your lights at over 5 metres from the subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Elinchrom's D-Lite heads (D-Lite 2 is 200W/s and D-Lite 4 is 400W/s) are a good bet at a good Price / Quality point. The conrtols allow the power to be reduced in 1/10th stop settings. There are three kit options:
    Two D-Lite 2 heads & Softboxes, stands and cases etc.
    Two D-Lite 4 heads & Softboxes, stands and cases etc.
    or One of each head with reflectors and Umbrellas with stands and cases.
    Most serious Irish Dealers stock them and they are also available from the distributors Barker Photographic in Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement