Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising - Hardcore Mode Video

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

New developer video released literally minutes ago.

Been looking forward to this game for maybe 8-9 years lol. I predicted months back that this will be game of the year, and even though I have no audio in work right now (will have to wait until lunch to hear it), I still stand by my prediction! :)

Enjoy.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact that there's a hardcore mode as an option and not as default is worrying for me. I really hope they don't go all open world call of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The fact that there's a hardcore mode as an option and not as default is worrying for me. I really hope they don't go all open world call of duty.

I know what you mean. I think one of the devs was quoted in saying something along the lines of 'having the same sim level of the original simply would not have worked when introducing it to the multi-platform society".

As much as this quote scared me, I can understand what he means. I think they had no choice but to do a normal/hardcore setup, to appeal to the masses (I know OFP appealed to them as a sim on PC). If they had simply kept the high sim content of the original, it may not have appealed to the new console market. If they had decided to go the way of a more arcadey game, they would have infuriated their original fan base.

Having waited so long for a decent update of where this game is at, this footage is very pleasing! Imo. :) Roll on Oct 9th.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I really hope it lives up to expectations. If it manages to be a true OPF sequel despite the console anchor, I'll be very impressed.

Personally, I think Arma2 will be the better game in the long run. It's been a long time since I've been as gripped by a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Operation Flashpoint 2 is to Operation Flashpoint what FarCry 2 was to FarCry, ie absolutely nothing to do with the first. Have a look at this E3 developer walkthrough of OFP2. The game even looks like FarCry 2, its a run and gun FPS, watch him run through like Rambo. Having an added Hardcore option just says it all, its a console game, its being deveoped for consoles and ported to pc.

If you want realism get ARMA 2. If you want Battlefield/FarCry/COD get OPF2

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Operation Flashpoint 2 is to Operation Flashpoint what FarCry 2 was to FarCry, ie absolutely nothing to do with the first. Have a look at this E3 developer walkthrough of OFP2. The game even looks like FarCry 2, its a run and gun FPS, watch him run through like Rambo. Having an added Hardcore option just says it all, its a console game, its being deveoped for consoles and ported to pc.

If you want realism get ARMA 2. If you want Battlefield/FarCry/COD get OPF2

Pog....i'd like to think you'll be eating your words in a few months (and I'll quote your post in my sig :)). Just out of curiosity, have you been monitoring the development OFP? (I assume you haven't).

The developers have been interacting with fans on the Codemasters forum for the past year or two, and actively listening and implementing ideas that have arisen. There will be genuine uproar in that community (it's a fairly substantial one) if this turns out like Far Cry 2 (shudder.......I played 3 hours of it and got my money back).

For this reason alone, I think CodeMasters will have been very careful in creating a more than acceptable console port.

Oh, and to touch on the E3 link you provided.....it was discussed in the forums as the point you made regarding the 'run and gun' nature worried a lot of viewers. It was pointed out that it was shot at the lowest difficulty setting, because dying every 4 seconds wouldn't have made for a very good reel to be fair. Plus the AI was nowhere near 100% at that point.

Fair enough if you reckon this'll be a shoddy FC2 replica, but i'd like to think that the 3-4 year delay this game has suffered will be for something with a little more substance.

(Oh and for what its worth, I'm pondering the purchase of Arma2 :)). I just have to decide whether or not I enough time right now that is necessary to commit to the game to get the most out of it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fizman wrote: »
    Pog....i'd like to think you'll be eating your words in a few months (and I'll quote your post in my sig :)). Just out of curiosity, have you been monitoring the development OFP? (I assume you haven't).

The developers have been interacting with fans on the Codemasters forum for the past year or two, and actively listening and implementing ideas that have arisen. There will be genuine uproar in that community (it's a fairly substantial one) if this turns out like Far Cry 2 (shudder.......I played 3 hours of it and got my money back).

For this reason alone, I think CodeMasters will have been very careful in creating a more than acceptable console port.

Oh, and to touch on the E3 link you provided.....it was discussed in the forums as the point you made regarding the 'run and gun' nature worried a lot of viewers. It was pointed out that it was shot at the lowest difficulty setting, because dying every 4 seconds wouldn't have made for a very good reel to be fair. Plus the AI was nowhere near 100% at that point.

Fair enough if you reckon this'll be a shoddy FC2 replica, but i'd like to think that the 3-4 year delay this game has suffered will be for something with a little more substance.

(Oh and for what its worth, I'm pondering the purchase of Arma2 :)). I just have to decide whether or not I enough time right now that is necessary to commit to the game to get the most out of it).

You do know that Codemasters didnt make Operation Flashpoint 1?

crap just watched the movie, you can get shot and not die :|

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You do know that Codemasters didnt make Operation Flashpoint 1?

I'm aware that Bohemia made it. Did I imply somewhere that they didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

crap just watched the movie, you can get shot and not die :|

You can get shot and not die in ArmA II.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm aware that Bohemia made it. Did I imply somewhere that they didn't?

No you implied Codemasters might make a good game :D would be the 1st in a long long time.

Cant see them making it anyway good tho, will still buy it tho. Gets shot at 1:30 in and keeps on running :(

Fizman, I'd love nothing more than to be eating my words, Tactical Shooter is actually my favorite genre and I'll be rushing to try this when its first released (if they don't release a demo I'll try it by other means) but they're not getting a cent my cash till I see its worth it. I've not seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.

See another thing is, console port, therefore obviously dumbed down graphically and made much easier for use with a controller. Hence the reason I like Arma 2, cos graphically its lovely and best of all its hard, very hard, You use every key on the kb.

Arma 2 is the best spent €30 I've had in years, 90+hours in 3 weeks. Get it, You'll enjoy it

• Advertisement

Cant see them making it anyway good tho, will still buy it tho.
    I like you're reasoning. :)
    Gets shot at 1:30 in and keeps on running :(

Adrenalin. :D

In fairness though, lets say for example you were to get shot in the arm/hand/arse/etc. There are several places were it's acceptable to stay on your feet. Torso/leg/head now is another thing.

Fizman, I'd love nothing more than to be eating my words, Tactical Shooter is actually my favorite genre and I'll be rushing to try this when its first released (if they don't release a demo I'll try it by other means) but they're not getting a cent my cash till I see its worth it. I've not seen anything yet to convince me otherwise.

See another thing is, console port, therefore obviously dumbed down graphically and made much easier for use with a controller. Hence the reason I like Arma 2, cos graphically its lovely and best of all its hard, very hard, You use every key on the kb.

I entirely understand where you are coming from regarding the console porting. This is my biggest fear for the game. I have to admit though I think the graphics in this vid look particularly promising. The lighting is very impressive imo.

This vid is actually shot from a PC. It isn't a monster rig either. The PC version is the only platform that will contain the Mission Editor as well.

I'm really torn between getting this for the PC or PS3.
    Arma 2 is the best spent €30 I've had in years, 90+hours in 3 weeks. Get it, You'll enjoy it
    Again, this is my point. I'm pretty sure if I got it and got stuck into early, I'd probably fall in love with it. The original OFP (along with the hard ass add-ons) was one of my favourite games of all time. It consumed me lol. I don't have as much time to play ultra-sim style games I used to play a few years back.

In saying that, i'll probably end up ordering it later on tonight when I find a good deal :).

For what its worth, apparently you can pre-order the pc version of OFP:DR for 17.99. Could maybe do a search for the link later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just watched pogmothoins video and I'm not impressed at all. It's nothing like a tactical shooter, it's just a run of the mill FPS. In the first 10 minutes the developer starts going on about 'red barrels' that explode when shot :rolleyes: very realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah, "we all know what red barrels do"... *sigh*

"I've taken a hit to my head...it's nothing serious"

It looks nice, but so does Arma II on full whack. Hopefully there'll be a demo when it's released like there was for Arma.

Yeah, "we all know what red barrels do"... *sigh*

"I've taken a hit to my head...it's nothing serious"

It looks nice, but so does Arma II on full whack. Hopefully there'll be a demo when it's released like there was for Arma.

Apparently there is going to be a demo 2-3 weeks prior to the release date. It should go a long way in getting rid of (or confirming) the fears that it could be 'run n gun'.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I hope OpF2 surprises us all but Fizman, if you like tactical shooters, how on earth have you not bought Arma2 yet? It's simply brilliant.

Maximilian wrote: »
    I hope OpF2 surprises us all but Fizman, if you like tactical shooters, how on earth have you not bought Arma2 yet? It's simply brilliant.

Like I was saying Max, if I had the amount of time necessary to properly enjoy the experience I would have bought it on release day. My gaming over the past few months has been limited to 30 min sessions or thereabouts, here and there. I would have only tormented myself if I had a copy of it, only to be playing it in short bursts.

In saying that, I downloaded the demo last night so will see how that goes. Seeing as its 23 euro on Play, I might just give in to it!

Still running and gunning, no use of cover, didn't see him crawl once and he's getting shot all they way through and didn't die. Its a FPS

How many times did He say "one thing we're proud of......."? One thing they should be proud of is of copying all Bohemia's ideas and making out they're their own

Gotta admit the graphics engine looks lovely

In saying that, I downloaded the demo last night so will see how that goes. Seeing as its 23 euro on Play, I might just give in to it!

Forget the demo, its unpatched and runs badly. Just buy it, honestly, whats stopping You?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Still running and gunning, no use of cover, didn't see him crawl once and he's getting shot all they way through and didn't die. Its a FPS
    I wonder how much of that is down to it being a demo for publicising the game to a general audience though. ARMA doesn't have the funds, or need to promote the game the way a big developer would. They have a large fan base that's growing steadily as it is. Operation flashpoint franchise lost all it's fanbase to ARMA and is basically starting from the ground up again.

All these videos are being playing on a controller too, it might be a different kettle of fish when we see it being played with a keyboard and mouse and your not moving around like a stonned tourist. I have to admit though, he was wide open in most of the game I wouldn't even play CoD the way he did, at one point he was being suppressed behind a wall and was able to stand up while shots hit all around him without getting hit.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder how much of that is down to it being a demo for publicising the game to a general audience though. ARMA doesn't have the funds, or need to promote the game the way a big developer would. They have a large fan base that's growing steadily as it is. Operation flashpoint franchise lost all it's fanbase to ARMA and is basically starting from the ground up again.

All these videos are being playing on a controller too, it might be a different kettle of fish when we see it being played with a keyboard and mouse and your not moving around like a stonned tourist. I have to admit though, he was wide open in most of the game I wouldn't even play CoD the way he did, at one point he was being suppressed behind a wall and was able to stand up while shots hit all around him without getting hit.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. You wouldn't last 5 seconds in Arma2 under that kind of fire, playing the way he did. Still it does look like a lot of fun. There's no question I will be buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

This looks good. Arma 1 & 2 are dog****, and i hated op flash 1, so i couldnt care less if this isnt being made by the original team.

Advertisement