Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D60 or Canon EOS 1000D?

• 10-08-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,
    I'm just stuck between Nikon D60 or Canon EOS 1000D? when coming on nikond60..I'm thinking about live-view and 3 focus pts etc., where as canon 1000D..! has non IS lens..! and separate IS lens are bit pricey..! :)
    Do reply

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

If you want a good implementation of live view a DSLR isn't the answer, take a look at the Panasonic G1 instead. Better viewfinder and decent fps as well.
    The 1000d has a fps of 1.5 in RAW which is dreadful.

If you're interested in IS maybe the Sony a230 or an Olympus E520 or Pentax K-m which all have IS in the camera body and therefore on all lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Ihave the Pentax K-M myself and I find it a great camera. Plenty of features plus it'll work with any Pentax K-mount lens which is very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

really not too much differance between the two cameras to recommend one over the other, other than whats been mentioned, live view on the canon, Nikon can take faster burst of raw photos 3fps vs1.5fps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

had the same dilema when I bought my first camera. ended up going for the d60 once I picked them up and got a feel for them. D60 just felt much nicer in the hand and 1000d felt cheap and plasticy in comparison. Do consider what makes others have though, as lenses are where you'll probably spend most of your money. So if you friends have canon or nikon and are willing to let you borrow lenses that might help you choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I agree with WillyWonka (so many jokes, not enough time :D). If I was buying again I might have gone Canon, and only because I found out afterwards that a lot of the guys I work with use Canons. They are constantly borrowing lenses off each other. So I would find out what most of your friends use (if any are in to photography) and then decide if you'd like to stick with that brand.

Apart from that, I own a Nikon D60, and I've had a play with the Canon and to be honest I didn't really notice any immediate difference to make me like one over the other. Both are really good cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

WillyWonka wrote: »
    had the same dilema when I bought my first camera. ended up going for the d60 once I picked them up and got a feel for them.

+1, same story - on paper i prefered the Canon, i ended up picking the d60 after 'feeling' both .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

at that level, there's precious little between the cameras.

Nikon does generally do nicer ergonomics and quality feel - but you pay for it.

TBH, it's all about the lenses. You'll work your way through a series of bodies over the years, but generally you'll keep your glass.

If you're looking to general 'tography - a bit of portrait, a bit of sport maybe a landscape or two - then both camps have all you need. It's only when you need to focus on a niche that either one side or the other has a unique feature, but to be honest, nowadays it'd have to be a fairly narrow niche.

A few years ago, Canon did have a noise advantage over Nikon. Now they're even-stevens most of the way up the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Historically Canon had AF advantage and Nikon had advanced flash. Things have gotten a lot closer nowadays (many sport shooters using a D3 and I believe Canon has wireless flash too?)

But it's like apples and oranges - some like one, some like the other.

Nikon D40 shooter here - it really does depend on what the photographer puts into it too ;) "cheap" and "old" equipment can still produce very good images.

Advertisement