Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need adveice on which rc plane

Options
  • 10-08-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Im kinda new to remote control airplanes, but i have a feeling ill be posting here a bit in the future.

I'm interested in getting myself an RC plane of some sort for general fun and a bit of learning.

I've had a nitro rc car in the past, and i loved it. loved the noise, the smell, the speed, and the upkeep. I'm looking to try rc planes but dont really know what to go for, i was looking at one of the three on top here (the ww2 birds). although, theres no real logic backing up my choice here, anyone any experience with these?

also, id love to go straight to nitro planes....bit too big of a step? maybe...

by budget is anything that seems "worth it"... within reason

thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Don't get a warbird if you can't already fly, and if smashing it within 60 seconds will make you feel unwell, or if you don't feel yoi will enjoy gluing the pieces together before you can have a second flight!

You really need a highwing plane to learn on, with generous wing area relative to the flying weight. So should be thinking Cessna, Cub, Daisy, Mini Mag, Eligo and the likes.

I'd also suggest you stay away from planes weighing less than 650g and more than 1.2kgs during the learning process, for Irish conditions 750g is a good self teach flying weight in electric models, and for nitro models weight of about 2 1/4 kgs but also with instructor doing the takeoffs and landings.

Finally, if it has working ailerons, you will need an instructor. Three channel (fixed or non-aileron) wings are far more suitable for self teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I'd reccommend a simulator first, such as FMS or ClearView. You can crash as much as you like and it don't cost you a thing. I use clearview and I find it great. It gives you a very good sense of what the control surfaces do and how the aircraft reacts. It will save you lots of €€€ in the long run!

You can get the "transmitter" cheap enough on ebay which connect via USB ~~€30 incl postage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ_hHoHcAY&feature=related

Advertisement