Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store wont honour credit note

Options
  • 10-08-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for a bit of help on this one. I'll try be brief

Bought item which was faulty, returned it,got a credit note to the value of €50 instead of a replacement.
    I spend €20 within a week and put the note in the drawer at home and forgot all about it until the other day.

Went in to use it and they told me that they cannot find my details on file for the sale and upon checking on their database they claim that the credit note now contains the value of only €10.
    Furthermore that this credit note is not in my name and the transaction in question had taken place in the UK and not on Henry Street where it actually did. They also maintain i used €40 from the note on the day i first used it and not the €20 i had but cannot tell me what was purchased to the value of €40

I have spoken to their customer care number with no satisfaction and went back to the store this morning for one final try. The guy was most helpfull but couldn't do anything for me.

Now the original transaction was just before Christmas so i'm a little hazy as anybody would be but i'm sure i just used €20 from the credit note. And whats confirming it in my mind is that when i went to the store to use it the first time they took the €50 credit note from me and issued me with a new reciept with the value of the new credit note at the bottom of €30.
    If i had used it again i wouldn't still have this piece of paper as general practise in the store is to take the old and give out a new credit note.

My questions are:

Do i have a case for the Small Claims courts for my €30?
    Is it a very time consuming process using the small claims court?
    What are the costs involved?

I know its only €30 but its the principal of it, thats like taking €20 from my pocket.

Any help appreciated, Thanks

Stiofán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And whats confirming it in my mind is that when i went to the store to use it the first time they took the €50 credit note from me and issued me with a new reciept with the value of the new credit note at the bottom of €30.

If you have a credit note that says €30, then they owe you €30. Get them to prove otherwise, which they obviously can't since they refuse to give you any details, otherwise tell them you'll bring them to court.

Note that it will cost €15 for small claims, so you stand to only get €15. The threat of action might make them back down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Ok i can deal with that. Its not really about the money just the principal of the thing.

I know i won't but if i were to loose the case is all i stand to loose €15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I know i won't but if i were to loose the case is all i stand to loose €15?

Yes.

You have been very helpful thanks Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Colin_M

Dublinstiofan,

Best thing to do is probably give the National Consumer Agency a call on 1890 432 432, they should be able to help you.

Cheers,

Colin.

• Advertisement

I rang them there and they told me to send a written complaint to the head office before persuing the issue in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Bought item which was faulty, returned it,got a credit note to the value of €50 instead of a replacement.

they were out of order in the first place as you were entitled to a full refund or replacement if the product was faulty - not a credit note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I rang them there and they told me to send a written complaint to the head office before persuing the issue in the courts.
    if taking action in the small claims court a written formal complaint should first be sent to the company involved giving them ten working days to reply as this is required to proceed with your claim

Advertisement