Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm and Jim-Jim ticked off by BCC

• 10-08-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From IT
    RTÉ reprimanded over Boyzone sketch

RTÉ 2FM was today reprimanded by the broadcasting watchdog for allowing foul and offensive language be aired on a morning chat show.

On the Colm and Jim-Jim Breakfast Show last May an actor posing as popstar Ronan Keating asked his Boyzone bandmate how he would tackle itchy nether regions after a waxing.

During the sketch the pair also talked about wanting to violently beat a third member of the group Mikey Graham, repeatedly using the ‘f’ word.

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission (BCC) said the station failed to exercise due care as children could have been listening to the programme, aired at 8.55am.

In the DJs’ defence RTÉ said the show was sometimes ‘zany’, aimed at over 25s and known for its risque humour.

But the BCC said: “The use of the ‘f’ word has a strong potential to cause offence,” the BCC said. This fact is widely known and accepted by society at large. Further, the Commission noted that the humour was based on aggressive behaviour.”

The BCC said the tone and manner of the humour was not what most parents would want their children to hear.

RTÉ claimed listeners would have expected the language and subject matter in a 2FM comedy sketch and the programme was aimed at the 25 to 44 age group. However the broadcaster conceded families could have tuned in.

I know some here are "relaxed" about foul langauage on radio but fcuk is deffo too much at breakfast. Amused at the idea of the programme being aimed at over 25s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

There is only one real solution. Close down 2fm completely and save us all from the trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Quite possibly the worst show on radio.... and that tw*t girl they have on early on is a bigger dickhead than they are.... it makes me sad it's so bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Over 25's my hole. More like u-15's and to have an older gentleman like Colm is very disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

They are about as funny as a cup full of AIDS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

mike65 wrote: »
    I know some here are "relaxed" about foul langauage on radio but fcuk is deffo too much at breakfast.

I listened to it. It was hilarious.

The Curses were bleeped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean they didn't even say, ahem "frak"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

Zany?

Yeah...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

RTE have described the Gollum and DimDim show as Zany and Wacky.

Since when did RTE hire Timmy Mallet to be there spokesman?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Lost their touch the minute they signed the contract to move to 2fm

At least on FM104 they seemed to have a connection to the city of Dublin providing some great banter and well remarked comments on the city itself.

On 2fm its just 2 oul' fellas trying to be funny...oh dear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They are about as funny as a cup full of AIDS

A cup full of AIDS is hillarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When are the people of Ireland going to assassinate "colm and limpgimp". I have never in all of my life come across a greater pair of f*ckwits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The BCC annual report is alway good for a laugh. It usually consists of multiple reports from a handful of cranks who should get out more.

Kids will say and hear worse in the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

These guys are just not funny !
    but they think they are ! ! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mike65 wrote: »
    Amused at the idea of the programme being aimed at over 25s.
    Me too! Teenage 'humour' if ever I heard it!
    Over 25's my hole. More like u-15's and to have an older gentleman like Colm is very disturbing.
    Exactly.
    Lost their touch the minute they signed the contract to move to 2fm
    They never had it to begin with. I gave their show a chance a couple of times on FM104 and it was absolute crap then. It's just as bad now.

As for using the word fcuk on early morning radio, well I'd rather never hear it used unless it's for a drama piece on an arts show to be honest and even that should be post-watershed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If the show is pitched at a 25+ audience then put these muppets on air at 2am on a friday night when people are coming home buckled and might actually find them funny, not at 6-9am.

Advertisement