Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy fishing

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Saw this story in todays Indo, didn't know whether to post it or not for fear it would turn into an Eastern European bashing thread, but in light of the recent death of the father and son while fishing you'd think people would have more sense? Seems like crazy risks to take for the sake of a bit of fishing:

fishing1_indo_380048t.jpg

fishing2_indo_380049t.jpg
    THESE eastern European fishermen are oblivious to the danger they're in. The fishing party is perched dangerously on an outcrop of rocks as the waves crash around them.

Another group is positioned above the first group, fishing from the top of a sloping cliff in Kilkee in Co Clare - with just a gust of wind required to send them toppling into the sea 150 feet below.

Both groups were spotted by Kilkee Coast Guard unit, who were on a training mission along the coast last week.

"The Coast Guard Unit intervened with the fishermen, warning them of the dangers of their location and advised them to move back from the edge of the cliffs to a safer location," a spokeswoman said.

The initial fishing position of the men was described by the Irish Coastguard service afterwards as "absolute insanity". It comes as the Coastguard service is warning that an average of two eastern European fishermen are drowning here every year due to their lack of knowledge about the dangers of the Atlantic.

Last month, Polish-born Piotr Latek (40) was drowned alongside his 13-year-old son Matteus after falling into the sea during a fishing trip to Castletownbere in west Cork. Irish Coastguard director Chris Reynolds said there was a major difference between fishing in the Atlantic Ocean and the Baltics.

"There's very little tide in the Baltics. If you pick a rock and go to fish on a rock, in three or four hours time, the water level won't have moved much around that rock. That rock is safe for you. If you do that in Ireland, even half an hour later, that rock is isolated and cut off and you get caught out," he said.

Mr Reynolds said another issue was the lack of local knowledge among eastern Europeans.

"If they'd spoken to locals, they would say not to fish there, it's too dangerous. They're actually fishing over a sewage outlet. Fish love sewage. You are eating what they are digesting," he said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i'l keep my opinions to myself, in the interest of not getting banned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I saw it too, cazy stuff. And not very long after that guy and his son drowned down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Soon to be Darwin Award candidates if they keep that up... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Zzippy wrote: »
    Soon to be Darwin Award candidates if they keep that up... :rolleyes:

To be honest people that stupid dont deserve to be in the gene pool.
    Ive done some stupid things myself fishing but thats plain rediculous.

The guy on the rocks has a total death wish one rogue wave and hes swept in and good luck getting out fully clothed and in cold water.

The other fools are but the length of a piss away from a fatal drop all for a few fish morons.

Not sure if there eastern europeans but having worked on building sites with many eastern europeans and seen first hand there lack of safety and awareness and common sense too id not be surprised.

Im sure the guys on the cliffs are gonna return all fish they catch too:rolleyes: as long as they can survive the 150foot drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

in fairness if they fall off that cliff they will be swimming with the fishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

NilByMouth wrote: »
    in fairness if they fall off that cliff they will be swimming with the fishes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not being locals, they probably looked at a map, saw that thay could drive to X, walk across a field and arrive at the water's edge! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Stupidity pure and simple. Some people just ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

The only things the guys on the rocks are catching are waves and the guys on the edge of the cliff ,try fishing Moher its a lot safer.::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

when i find myself up to the seam in my waders fighting trough through thorney bushes with numb hands and a 10k walk back to the car i ask myself the same question. the things we do for fish:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

I hope the muppets in the bottom picture have a drop net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i see it all the time here. some of the foreign folk will be fishing but they'll have the wife or girlfriend and often the kids sitting on the rocks with them. the amount of amateurs the mackerel brings out, and the amount of lead flying around, people tangling lines, snap offs, its unreal. but sure if you say anything you get accused of discrimination. i wont fish on rocks when they get that crowded, its asking for trouble, but people bringing kids to sit in the middle of it i cant get my mind around.
    i think one of the polish newsletters ran an article on it a couple of years back, but it was largely ignored. and every summer a case like that a few weeks ago. and the shitty thing about it is its easily avoidable.

Advertisement