Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did people ever think the earth was flat?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

asdasd, your questions been answered and this conversation is dragging the thread ever more off-topic. I suggest if either of you have more to discuss you start a new thread. Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Just out of curiosity, if anyone has come across any evidence to suggest that some people did believe the earth was flat, I'd love to know about it. My interest has been piqued :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just out of curiosity, if anyone has come across any evidence to suggest that some people did believe the earth was flat, I'd love to know about it. My interest has been piqued :)

In that case the book you need to read is "Inventing the Flat Earth" by J.B. Russell. It looks at ancient, medieval and modern ideas. I haven't read it myself, but I'm assured by one 'in the know' that it's the best study of the subject.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Wiki says that China believed that the Earth was flat until Jesuits spread the idea of a spherical earth though China has always had a history of some thinkers dismissing this idea and stating that the Earth was in far round.*

* Science and civilisation in China By Joseph Needham, Ling Wang (P498, available on Google Books)

IMHO 99% of the people who have ever lived have had more important things to worry about then if the world was round or not, so asking "What people thought?" should be translated as "What did the learned people of period x think about the flatness or lack of of the Earth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Furet wrote: »
    In that case the book you need to read is "Inventing the Flat Earth" by J.B. Russell.

Thanks Furet. Must look out for that book so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement