Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for a prescription

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Is it normal for a doctor to charge for a repeat prescription?

Would you expect to pay full 50 or 60eur to queue for an hour to spend 30 seconds with the doctor while they fill out the prescription? A prescription which is a repeat of the previous one which there was no doubt over? (i.e. There was no actual consultation required)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

My doctor charges €20 for a repeat prescription. If I call in advance he'll leave it with the receptionist or see me before the next patient goes into him given that it's only a couple of minutes of his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

I could understand the charge if there were things he had to check before giving out the repeat prescription but if all he did was write it out when you went in I don't think you should be paying full price.

At my GP I think it's about €30 for a repeat prescription. Usual call in advance and he leaves it with receptionist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I called the receptionist the day before the last time, she told me it was going to cost me twenty euros. Went in the next morning to pick up my prescription, only had a 50 on me, so she left me off without paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

In my GPs if you give 24 hours notice or more you get it free, if you walk in and want one it's 20euro. 60 is mad for one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks for the feedback lads ... €20 seems more reasonable ... but still expensive .. I guess you're paying for the doctors expertise / time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I always email my request in and they post it our to me free of charge. I don't think I have ever paid for a repeat prescription and I have to get them twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was always charged the 50. Will check the advance-notice idea, to see if I can get it cheaply...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I think it depends from surgery to surgery, however they are supposed to review your prescription etc, even if they don't actually do this :rolleyes:. Last time I went for a renewal for my inhalers (for asthma), he didn't check my blood pressure, peak flow etc, whereas another doctor I had in the past always did this

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I pay €60 every 6 months to get my prescription for the pill and the doctor does nothing except write the script. It is very frustrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

I really do wonder how they justify charging you for writing down a few words on a piece of paper. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe those prescription pads are very expensive so they need to charge you for using up a sheet.

I was once charged by a doctor €60 for a visit and €20 for writing out a prescription even though it was a repeat prescription. Then had to pay €15 for the medicine and another €15 to get it injected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

most GPs will charge a reduced fee for repeat prescriptions.

you're not just paying for someone to write few words on a sheet of paper - you're paying for the expertise of the doc. this isnt something that anyone could do.

there's no reason why the gp shoul dprovide a service for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sam34 wrote: »
    most GPs will charge a reduced fee for repeat prescriptions.

you're not just paying for someone to write few words on a sheet of paper - you're paying for the expertise of the doc. this isnt something that anyone could do.

there's no reason why the gp shoul dprovide a service for free.

If they all charged reasonable fees in the first place, folks wouldn't be complaining to the degree that they are at the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

litup wrote: »
    I pay €60 every 6 months to get my prescription for the pill and the doctor does nothing except write the script. It is very frustrating!
    Then ask for a check up as well.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they all charged reasonable fees in the first place, folks wouldn't be complaining to the degree that they are at the moment.

i'd imagine there would always be a few who would complain about having to pay for a repeat prescription.

whether GP fees for regular consultations are reasonable or not is for another thread really

you're not just paying for someone to write few words on a sheet of paper - you're paying for the expertise of the doc.

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I went to the doc to ask him to write a prescription for XXXX. I told him what the medicine was, he didn't need to diagnose me or anything. He didn't need to test me for anything as it was a repeat prescription of something I was already on. All that was required was to write a couple of words on a piece of paper for the pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Your doctor should be checking your blood pressure also.

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I went to the doc to ask him to write a prescription for XXXX. I told him what the medicine was, he didn't need to diagnose me or anything. He didn't need to test me for anything as it was a repeat prescription of something I was already on. All that was required was to write a couple of words on a piece of paper for the pharmacist.

irrespective of that, you're paying for his qualification and expertise.
    nobody other than a doctor could write that script for you.
    it is a service he is providing and as such he is entitled to charge for it.

granted, i dont think its reasonable to charge full consultation fees for a repeat script, but a reduced charge is entirely reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I pay 25 and that includes a blood pressure check.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

granted, i dont think its reasonable to charge full consultation fees for a repeat script, but a reduced charge is entirely reasonable.

I had to go to the doc today to get a cert renewed for work, was out all last week with back problems and rang this morning, said no prob just pop in and I'll do a new cert for you, can do it between patients, while i was there I mentioned that my ankle was slightly swollen,and because he looked at it, poked it and said stay off it for a few days i got charged,should have just kept my mouth shut all he did was tell me something I already knew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My doctor never charges for a repeat prescription. I get it twice a year for the pill. She sometimes asks to check my blood pressure and I am charged for that, but when I call in advance for the piece of paper, its free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Maybe, the other issue is - whether it safe practice for a doctor to be prescribing without actually seeing the patient?

GP practice is a cash business - and how many people look for receipts for these GP expenses as these can be of-set against your taxes.

krudler wrote: »
    I had to go to the doc today to get a cert renewed for work, was out all last week with back problems and rang this morning, said no prob just pop in and I'll do a new cert for you, can do it between patients, while i was there I mentioned that my ankle was slightly swollen,and because he looked at it, poked it and said stay off it for a few days i got charged,should have just kept my mouth shut all he did was tell me something I already knew

so, you had an arrangement with the GP to pop in for a minute for a cert renewal, he was fitting you in because it was something which should only take a few seconds, and while there you effectively changed that arrangement, and mentioned a new physical complaint, which you wanted checked out there and then, thereby delaying the GP, pushing back his scheduled appointments.

of course he charged you - you had a full consultation!
    do you think this should have been free?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so, you had an arrangement with the GP to pop in for a minute for a cert renewal, he was fitting you in because it was something which should only take a few seconds, and while there you effectively changed that arrangement, and mentioned a new physical complaint, which you wanted checked out there and then, thereby delaying the GP, pushing back his scheduled appointments.

of course he charged you - you had a full consultation!
    do you think this should have been free?

It took all of 30 seconds, its not that I was charged its the fact we are ripped off when it comes to GP fees over here, there's a campaign to charge people £20 a visit in the UK which is being met which huge disapproval, i got charged 50 euro for having my foot poked twice and told "yeah thats swollen, stay off it for a few days and it'll be grand", thats not exactly a massive medical consultation now is it, nothing prescribed, nothing fixed,nothing updated on my medical record

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

In my docs there is a repeat pres request form you fill in and leave with them, then you can collect pres next day after lunch.

A repeat visit and pres is 25

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your doctor really should check your blood pressure everytime they write you a pill prescription as well as asking how you're getting on with it, if you have any history of blood clots etc. I wouldn't actually go to a doctor for the pill prescription unless they did this.

krudler wrote: »
    It took all of 30 seconds, its not that I was charged its the fact we are ripped off when it comes to GP fees over here, there's a campaign to charge people £20 a visit in the UK which is being met which huge disapproval, i got charged 50 euro for having my foot poked twice and told "yeah thats swollen, stay off it for a few days and it'll be grand", thats not exactly a massive medical consultation now is it, nothing prescribed, nothing fixed,nothing updated on my medical record

thats not the point.

you presented with a new problem and asked his advice/opinion. thats a consultation. just because it didnt require intervention or treatment doesnt mean it wasnt a consultation.

he may well have updated your records after you left the room.

try going to your solicitor to collect a letter from him,which you had agreed to do, and while you're there ask him to have a quick look at a new contract you got to see if it's Ok, and see how far you get.

He charged me for writing out the prescription. Did I not mention that? There was a charge for writing a prescription and a charge for a "doctors visit".

He charged me for writing out the prescription. Did I not mention that? There was a charge for writing a prescription and a charge for a "doctors visit".

oh sorry, i didnt pick up on that the first time i read your post.

to be honest, that seems ridiculous to me.
    i odnt see why you should have to pay separately for a prescription when you've had a consultation - bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

Next time send a copy of your prescription to <snip>
    They'll give you repeats after that nice and cheap. You'll be able to order your prescription off them too for a fraction of the price here.

When you need a checkup go to your own doctor and while you are there get him to write a repeat for you while hes at it. If he charges extra for the prescription then get another GP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement