Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Goods from China

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I've been studying in China for the last 5 months and leaving in September and I'm looking into the possibility of importing some heavy goods into Ireland that retail here at around 130 including import,delivery and Vat and retail in Ireland at over 600.
    I'm not yet a registered business but can easily go about this if required.
    I'm curious to what I do when the goods reach Dublin port? Do they deliver and offload at your home?
    Also my uncle owns a container, is it possible to send this to China, to load the goods?
    I know Rudy de Groot is quite knowledgable in this field so hopefully I will hear an answer soon!
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

When they are delivered in Dublin, you need to pay a second company to collect and bring to your house/warehouse. As for the container im not so sure. There are ways to get door to door delivery but it can cost a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Patrickmce,

A couple of points to bear in mind ;

1) If you intend to make a regular business out of this, you might wish to consider registering for VAT. The legal threshold at which you are obliged to register for VAT is Eur 75000. However, if you are not registered for VAT you can not claim the VAT back you pay on imports. Even though you indicate a very healthy margin, leaving 21.5% on the table - in favour of the government - is extremely generous .........

2) I would not recommend to ship an empty container to China. The cost of it would be prohibitive, it could possibly lead to complications on importing the container into China and there is no financial benefit (i.e. the shipping lines are unlikely to quote you a lower rate for a "shippers owned" container). Aswell, it would take between 4 and 5 weeks before the container would arrive in China. I would counsel against it.

3) I can help you make arrangements through my partners in China regarding the booking, loading, shipping and export formalities. Upon arrival here in Ireland I can assist you in the customs clearance and delivery to your nominated address. I can extend that even further by arranging distribution throughout the 32 counties of your product.

I would suggest to send me a PM with the following information ;

1) Port / Point of origin in China
    2) Type of container required (e.g. 20'/40' or 40' Hicube)
    3) Commodity. Please be as specific as possible and include the Customs Tariff nr so I can advise you on the rate of duty payable
    4) Value of the goods (recommend Marine Cargo Insurance)

Based on the above information I will be able to issue a quotation for your shipment from origin to door in Ireland.

If you include an e-mail address I will send you a document that may give you an insight in what the requirements are to import from outside the EU.

Best regards
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ipad

sent you a pm patrick

Hello Patrickmce,

I received your PM, will revert later today with futher info.

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aces2Ashes

Hi
    I'm interested in importing goods from China into Ireland and would be most grateful for any and all info on this subject.

I want to import products used in the Autobody repair industry,e.g fillers,primers and lackers.
    I have been in contact with a company in China for the last month or so.They have been extremely helpful.
    They can organise cert of origin,commerical invoice legalized by the Irish Embassy in China.They also organise shipping from China to Dublin port.

Is there any other paper work i require to clear customs in Dublin?
    My order is on 1CBM pallets,can i collect these myself from the port?If not what is the procedure?
    Where is the best place to find info on Duties and VAT on such products
    ?At pressent i am not registered for VAT.

Guys and girls i'll really appreciate any info or advice you can give me.I read some post from Rudolf289 ,who seems to be on the ball regarding this subject.

• Advertisement

Aces2Ashes wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm interested in importing goods from China into Ireland and would be most grateful for any and all info on this subject.

I want to import products used in the Autobody repair industry,e.g fillers,primers and lackers.
    I have been in contact with a company in China for the last month or so.They have been extremely helpful.
    They can organise cert of origin,commerical invoice legalized by the Irish Embassy in China.They also organise shipping from China to Dublin port.

Is there any other paper work i require to clear customs in Dublin?
    My order is on 1CBM pallets,can i collect these myself from the port?If not what is the procedure?
    Where is the best place to find info on Duties and VAT on such products
    ?At pressent i am not registered for VAT.

Guys and girls i'll really appreciate any info or advice you can give me.I read some post from Rudolf289 ,who seems to be on the ball regarding this subject.

Hello Aces2Ashes,

first and foremost, happy to assist.

Secondly a word of warning. Do not let your chinese supplier make shipping arrangements unless you are aware what the landing / arrival charges here in Ireland are. Chinese exporters get heavily discounted seafreight rates for groupage / less than container load shipments. However, that means you will end up paying the difference in the form of a "Chinese Import Service Fee". You are also likely to pay over the top for local charges such as agency fees, handling/unloading, carrier security and a few more items that will drive up the costs significantly.

My recommendation would be to ask your chinese supplier to quote you an FOB Chinese Port and a C&F or CIF Dublin price for your order. Ask him to detail the number of pieces, weight and dimensions per piece (need length, width and height). Ask your supplier to confirm the name and contact details of the Irish agent of the carrier / consolidator he proposes to use.

I suspect that some of the items you are indicating, will be hazardous. So in addition please check ; UN number, Proper Shipping Name, Hazard Class and Flashpoint (where applicable).

Once you have those details check out prices here locally with the carrier's agent for the local charges. Also check with a number of Irish agents what their rates would be. I certainly would be happy to give you a second opinion.

The best place to find the rates of duty is to check with the Customs Classification Unit in Nenagh (see attached document for full details).

Make sure the Marine / Cargo insurance is covered, either by your supplier or get quotes here locally. Again, I can help you source rates for same.

I would recommend to use a customs agent to handle the import formalities for you. The average charge is € 60.00 per customs entry, maybe a tenner per additional customs tariff number. They can do the entry electronically and settle the duty / VAT with customs. You have the option of transferring the duty / VAT due directly to the TAN account the agent has with customs. Alternatively you can pay the money to the agent (less secure) and they usually charge a fee for handling the money and lodging it to customs.

If you are not registered for VAT you can not claim the VAT paid on importation back. Eventhough the threshold for registering for VAT is € 75,000, I would suggest, if you intend to import on regular basis to register for VAT. Obviously you would then be obliged to charge VAT on your sales.
    I would recommend to speak to an accountant. If you are in the Cork area, let me know, I can refer you to upto 5 accountants (including my own) who can give you advice in this area.

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information or assistance

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2 azegele

RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    Hello Aces2Ashes,

first and foremost, happy to assist.

Secondly a word of warning. Do not let your chinese supplier make shipping arrangements unless you are aware what the landing / arrival charges here in Ireland are. Chinese exporters get heavily discounted seafreight rates for groupage / less than container load shipments. However, that means you will end up paying the difference in the form of a "Chinese Import Service Fee". You are also likely to pay over the top for local charges such as agency fees, handling/unloading, carrier security and a few more items that will drive up the costs significantly.

My recommendation would be to ask your chinese supplier to quote you an FOB Chinese Port and a C&F or CIF Dublin price for your order. Ask him to detail the number of pieces, weight and dimensions per piece (need length, width and height). Ask your supplier to confirm the name and contact details of the Irish agent of the carrier / consolidator he proposes to use.

I suspect that some of the items you are indicating, will be hazardous. So in addition please check ; UN number, Proper Shipping Name, Hazard Class and Flashpoint (where applicable).

Once you have those details check out prices here locally with the carrier's agent for the local charges. Also check with a number of Irish agents what their rates would be. I certainly would be happy to give you a second opinion.

The best place to find the rates of duty is to check with the Customs Classification Unit in Nenagh (see attached document for full details).

Make sure the Marine / Cargo insurance is covered, either by your supplier or get quotes here locally. Again, I can help you source rates for same.

I would recommend to use a customs agent to handle the import formalities for you. The average charge is € 60.00 per customs entry, maybe a tenner per additional customs tariff number. They can do the entry electronically and settle the duty / VAT with customs. You have the option of transferring the duty / VAT due directly to the TAN account the agent has with customs. Alternatively you can pay the money to the agent (less secure) and they usually charge a fee for handling the money and lodging it to customs.

If you are not registered for VAT you can not claim the VAT paid on importation back. Eventhough the threshold for registering for VAT is € 75,000, I would suggest, if you intend to import on regular basis to register for VAT. Obviously you would then be obliged to charge VAT on your sales.
    I would recommend to speak to an accountant. If you are in the Cork area, let me know, I can refer you to upto 5 accountants (including my own) who can give you advice in this area.

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information or assistance

Best regards,
    Rudolf289

Oh dear... so there is no way the regular jobseeker with couple hundred euro savings could start making money importing goods from china for resale reasons. Well, good to know, I spent a lot of time searching for some info, this one is the clearest answer of them all. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 freeda mchugh

Hello Rudolf 289

I found your post very helpful. I am in the early stages of trying to import a porduct from china can you recommend any reputable companies to me please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Arjuna4

Hello Patrickmce,

A couple of points to bear in mind ;

1) If you intend to make a regular business out of this, you might wish to consider registering for VAT. The legal threshold at which you are obliged to register for VAT is Eur 75000. However, if you are not registered for VAT you can not claim the VAT back you pay on imports. Even though you indicate a very healthy margin, leaving 21.5% on the table - in favour of the government - is extremely generous .........

2) I would not recommend to ship an empty container to China. The cost of it would be prohibitive, it could possibly lead to complications on importing the container into China and there is no financial benefit (i.e. the shipping lines are unlikely to quote you a lower rate for a "shippers owned" container). Aswell, it would take between 4 and 5 weeks before the container would arrive in China. I would counsel against it.

3) I can help you make arrangements through my partners in China regarding the booking, loading, shipping and export formalities. Upon arrival here in Ireland I can assist you in the customs clearance and delivery to your nominated address. I can extend that even further by arranging distribution throughout the 32 counties of your product.

I would suggest to send me a PM with the following information ;

1) Port / Point of origin in China
    2) Type of container required (e.g. 20'/40' or 40' Hicube)
    3) Commodity. Please be as specific as possible and include the Customs Tariff nr so I can advise you on the rate of duty payable
    4) Value of the goods (recommend Marine Cargo Insurance)

Based on the above information I will be able to issue a quotation for your shipment from origin to door in Ireland.

If you include an e-mail address I will send you a document that may give you an insight in what the requirements are to import from outside the EU.

Best regards
    Rudolf289

Hi Rudolf!!

You are a good entrepreneur and here a full details of your business and its quality mentioned here, which i like a lot..

I will ping you very soon...

Hello Rudolf 289

I found your post very helpful. I am in the early stages of trying to import a porduct from china can you recommend any reputable companies to me please?

Hello Freeda,

I will send you a PM

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 amg_heating

Hi Rudy,

I am considering ordering some showers in from china bur I would only like to order a couple in 1st to see what they are like before ordering in bulk. Also for the more expensive shower I would like to order in demand for them. Is there a lot of excess money I will have to pay. They are advertising them as ' sets' or 'units ' .. What's the difference? They are also advertising them for say between $400-$800, so if I purchased 5 units what kind of extra payments am I talking about? And how long is the wait for them to get here?
    Also is India a dodgy place to purchase from, am I better off sticking with china?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Aaron

Hello Aaron,

There are a number of Less than Container Load services from China, so in principle it is possible to ship from 1 shower unit upwards.

If you have some idea of the port of shipment, the cubic measurement (Length x Width x Height), weight and port of shipment, I can price that for you. I would recommend to agree FOB Chinese Port of Shipment. We can than quote from FOB to your door in Ireland.

In principle you are liable for import duty of 3% (assuming the panels in the shower units are made of glass). This is calculated over the invoice value of the product and the freight costs. In addition you will be liable for 23% over the combined total of the invoice value, plus freight, plus duty. If you are a VAT registered trader you are entitled to claim the VAT paid on imports, back in your periodic VAT return.

Feel free to contact me or post again if you need any further information

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amg_heating

Size: 170*85*215cm
    port : Ningbo
    shipping terms : FOB
    price : $284 usd / pieces

It doesn't show the weight, is this enough info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

I've been quoted US$1150 + €600 handling for June for a 20' China - Ireland, is there any site where I can verify that this is a good rate, rather than have to get quotes from multiple agents each time?

Is there anywhere that the shipping lines actually post up their rates (the US$1150 bit) each month?

relaxed wrote: »
    I've been quoted US$1150 + €600 handling for June for a 20' China - Ireland, is there any site where I can verify that this is a good rate, rather than have to get quotes from multiple agents each time?

Is there anywhere that the shipping lines actually post up their rates (the US$1150 bit) each month?

Hello relaxed,

Current rate levels ex China for June are actually below that. From Mainports China (Yantian/Xiamen, Ningbo, Shanghai, Ningbo) rates would be Us$ 1000.00 per 20' (NB : there is talk of an increase on 01JUL, but whilst the lines are looking for Us$ 750 to Us$ 1000 per 20' increase, they are unlikely to achieve that given current market conditions)

Local charges in Ireland are ;
    THC € 130
    ISPS € 17
    Customs Clearance € 60
    Delivery would depend on where in Ireland it needs to be delivered.

I am not aware of any website that would post all the rates from all the carriers / shipping lines and agents. If there was such a website, at best they would file their "tariff rate" on such a site for fear of giving away information to the competition. I am afraid the real deals are done in negotiation between the carrier / agents and the clients.

By the way, if you are a VAT registered trader you can structure your imports in such as way as to defer the VAT on imports to your periodic VAT return. I am sure you are currently paying VAT out on clearance and then claiming it back as a deductible input in your VAT return. There is an opportunity to structure your imports differently and improve your cashflow.

I would be happy to elaborate on same

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Size: 170*85*215cm
    port : Ningbo
    shipping terms : FOB
    price : $284 usd / pieces

It doesn't show the weight, is this enough info?

Hi amg_heating,

It would be helpfull to have the weight also, but based on above can offer the following rate, valid upto 30JUN13

Oceanfreight Us$ 295.00
    Terminal Handling € 55.00
    Agency fee € 50.00
    Customs Clearance € 60.00

Duty would be 3% over the cost of the product plus freight cost, converted @ 1.2923 (Customs rate of exchange for June) = € 13.44.

VAT @ 23% over combined total of Cost and Freight and Duty = € 136.26 (NB : VAT registered traders will claim the VAT back in their periodic VAT return)

Trust this helps.

Note of caution : Your supplier is likely to be able to get a far better Ocean freight rate. However, you will end up paying a China Import Service Fee and a lithany of other charges on arrival that would make the overal costs of shipping significantly more expensive. (Suggest to search the term : China Import Service Fee on Boards.ie and see some of the horror stories by people who have been caught out)

Let me know if you need anything else

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Hi guys,

I'm looking to import goods from China. I'm currently self-employed, but not VAT registered.

If I set up an online shop, do I need to register as a sole trader? Is this business separate from my day job? Is there any advantage to register for VAT, given that I wouldn't need to charge the customer VAT on the sale of good, or am I legally obliged to do so?

Any help is appreciated and I'm sure I'll have a few more. Thanks.

PS. The goods are not bulky (to start with) and will be sent via courier.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to import goods from China. I'm currently self-employed, but not VAT registered.

If I set up an online shop, do I need to register as a sole trader? Is this business separate from my day job? Is there any advantage to register for VAT, given that I wouldn't need to charge the customer VAT on the sale of good, or am I legally obliged to do so?

Any help is appreciated and I'm sure I'll have a few more. Thanks.

PS. The goods are not bulky (to start with) and will be sent via courier.

Hello The Pontiac,

Just in reply to your queries.

- Registering as a sole trader really depends on the level of activity. Bear in mind that if you register as a soletrader then your tax status is likely to change from PAYE to Soletrader. That is a more complicated tax return and you would be best to work with an accountant in that case.

- Registering for VAT again depends on your activity. The threshold after which you have to register for VAT is € 75K. If you are likely to do more than € 75K of Vatable sales you are obliged to register for VAT (have a look at this link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/index.html) If you are registered for VAT, you can claim the 23% paid on imports back through your periodic VAT return and collect VAT on your sales. Personally, depending on the level of activity and bearing in mind you are paying VAT on imports, which you can not claim back unless you are registered for VAT, I would seriously consider registering for VAT.

I would recommend to have a word with an accountant (usually the first consult is free) and go through the options you have to ensure you do things right and minimise your taxes on profits. Certain expenses may be allowable against your tax, the accountant will put you right on that.

In relation to shipping, courier is fine. As soon as you are considering shipping larger quantities by saeafreight, be sure to make arrangements through an Irish based freight forwarder. Do not leave the seafreight shipping arrangements to your supplier. He will get a very sweet deal on the seafreight, but you will end up paying well over the odds on this side. Agree FOB Chinese port of shipment terms with your supplier and get Irish based forwarders to quote you from FOB to delivered your door. That will ensure you know exactly - in advance - what you will be paying, and cut out any unexpected (expensive) surprises.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Hello The Pontiac,

Just in reply to your queries.

- Registering as a sole trader really depends on the level of activity. Bear in mind that if you register as a soletrader then your tax status is likely to change from PAYE to Soletrader. That is a more complicated tax return and you would be best to work with an accountant in that case.

- Registering for VAT again depends on your activity. The threshold after which you have to register for VAT is € 75K. If you are likely to do more than € 75K of Vatable sales you are obliged to register for VAT (have a look at this link http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/index.html) If you are registered for VAT, you can claim the 23% paid on imports back through your periodic VAT return and collect VAT on your sales. Personally, depending on the level of activity and bearing in mind you are paying VAT on imports, which you can not claim back unless you are registered for VAT, I would seriously consider registering for VAT.

I would recommend to have a word with an accountant (usually the first consult is free) and go through the options you have to ensure you do things right and minimise your taxes on profits. Certain expenses may be allowable against your tax, the accountant will put you right on that.

In relation to shipping, courier is fine. As soon as you are considering shipping larger quantities by saeafreight, be sure to make arrangements through an Irish based freight forwarder. Do not leave the seafreight shipping arrangements to your supplier. He will get a very sweet deal on the seafreight, but you will end up paying well over the odds on this side. Agree FOB Chinese port of shipment terms with your supplier and get Irish based forwarders to quote you from FOB to delivered your door. That will ensure you know exactly - in advance - what you will be paying, and cut out any unexpected (expensive) surprises.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Hi Rudolf,

Thanks a million for for your reply. Yes I will need to speak to an accountant alright. Good advice. I also sent off an email to the inland revenue.

I have already imported imported a small amount of goods to start off with, and paid VAT @ 20% in that country. I have checked the rate of VAT for those products here and it's the standard rate of 23%.

It's hard to get my head around this. If I register for VAT, then I claim back the 20%, but then have to charge my customers 23%. If I'm not registered, then I don't charge my customers anything, thus will have a higher profit margin.

I can indeed see the general advantage of businesses being VAT registered - they can claim VAT back on diesel, cost of services etc.

But my business is only a small start-up at present, so maybe not a great advantage at this stage? If I cross the threshold, then obviously I will register.

Thanks also for your advice re. shipping. Will keep you in mind if ordering larger quantities.

Hello The Pontiac,

if you are not registered for VAT the 23% becomes a cost on top of the price you pay for the goods and the shipping costs. So by registering for VAT, you reduce your costs by 23%. If you are selling to consumers, then having to add VAT @ 23% to your selling price increases the cost to the consumer. However, if your cost base is 23% lower, then you can consider reducing your sales price to reflect a lower cost and add VAT to a lower sales price. Obviously if you are selling to VAT registered businesses (who will be able to claim the 23% back) it would really make sense to register for VAT.

In any event, sitting down with an accountant will no doubt help to crystalise the issues for you and enable you to make the decission that is right for you.

Best of luck

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement

Rudolf,

Just to clarify. I have imported the goods from an EU country. They asked me for a VAT number and I said I wasn't VAT registered. The rate of VAT there was 20%. I paid this.

Do I have to pay another 23% VAT rate when the goods arrive in Ireland. Or does this only apply when importing from non-European countries?

Thanks gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Rudolf,

Just to clarify. I have imported the goods from an EU country. They asked me for a VAT number and I said I wasn't VAT registered. The rate of VAT there was 20%. I paid this.

Do I have to pay another 23% VAT rate when the goods arrive in Ireland. Or does this only apply when importing from non-European countries?

Thanks gain.

No, the VAT is now paid.

Cheers Relaxed. Was worried there.

Rudolf,

Thanks gain.

Hello The Pontiac,

because you are not registered for VAT, your supplier was obliged to charge you VAT at the level applicable in the EU member state you bought the goods in. You would only be liable for VAT once per transaction. So if you paid your supplier VAT in another EU country, you will not have to pay VAT again. If you are VAT registered, he can issue you with a zero rated invoice and you will then need to account for the transaction in your periodic VAT return. The principle of VAT is that it is cost neutral until the final consumer.

In Ireland the rate of VAT is 23%. If you import from a non EU country that is the level VAT is levied at on imports. It is also the level at which you would need to charge your customers, if you were registered for VAT.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Thanks for the clarification Rudolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tanya_2983

Hi Rudolf289,

thanks for all the information you have posted.

I am interested in importing goods (kids stuff) from china to Ireland and wondering if you could give me some information regarding some cheap freight from china to Ireland. weight would vary from 40 to 100 kgs. I also needed help with custom clearance in Dublin. Goods from Yiwu city or shanghai airport or else from Hangzhou city.
    Hoping to hear from you soon and thanking you in anticipation.

Good morning,

have sent you a PM.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Timepiece

Hello, Rudolf289, I have read through a number of your posts on shipping from China. All very informative.

I am in a similar position to Tanya_2983. I will starting out shipping product in the weight range 50 to 100 kg's.

My first consignment is for five cartons 41*31*28cm each carton with a gross weight of 13 kg's coming from Xiamen city, Fujian province to Dublin.

I guess given the weight and size this will go by air.

Regards
    Timepiece

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reginafisenko

Hi Rudolf!

My name is Regina.
    We want to buy furniture in China, in Foshan and glass mosaic too.
    The furniture will made from birch and fabric/leather.
    Do you know how much will cost custom charge, if all furniture will cost 1000-2000 usd.
    What have we pay else here in Ireland before we will get it?
    Can we avoid use broker?
    Where is the best way to find LCL from China?
    All what we plan to buy are about 10 m3.

Regards,
    Regina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is rudolf still around?

😎

Advertisement