Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Test Experience (Tallaght)

• 10-08-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Put this on biker.ie but some here might find it useful...

Following on from the other few threads about test experiences I thought I’d put up mine..

First off, before the test I didn’t get a pretest but I did do the Quinn Assessment and was confident enough that the assessment would help me pass the test. What I did do was about 6 hours of practice broken into 3 days – basically the practice was driving around urban areas, practicing lifesavers on every turn (even tho you know it is not physically possible for something to be beside you – they still have to be done)

My main fear was the turnabout, I kept putting my foot down while practicing but I kept at it, tried a few different techniques and finally mastered it, ended up counting in my head to 10 through the turn – this kept my concentration up and really helped.

So the test day came (today) and I arrived in the test centre about 5 mins early after reversing my bike into a space so I could drive out. Tester called me into the room, took my licence and done some paper work – then into some questions;

1. What can cause poor traction on the road (forgein objects/substances)
    2. Who can give you directions on a road (garda, pointsman, roadworkers)
    3. What safety precautions should you use when making a turn (lifesaver)
    4. What does a amber light mean when approaching it (stop if safe to do so)

Then roadsigns, contraflow buslane, traffic lights, pedestrians only and a few other obvious ones

Then we get the radio hooked up and out to the bike – helmet & gloves on.

Then he askes me a few questions about the bike;
    1. How to check brake fluid
    2. How to know when a tyre is bad
    3. How to check oil levels
    4. Minimum tyre depth

Then basic controls checks (indi’s, front lights & brake lights)

So, off on the road - done my test in tallaght and know the area pretty well so kinda knew the road layouts etc. Things I done while driving;

1. Checked mirrors every time I slowed, changed position on the road, when I seen a hazard and BEFORE using indicators
    2. Lifesaver before committing to each turn, when moving off and when exiting roundabouts
    3. Look into every junction / petrol station entrance and make him see that you are looking
    4. Put your foot over the brake lever when you see potential hazards eg. School nearby signs or children playing signs
    5. When moving off, entering roundabouts or going through traffic lights don’t wait for enough room for 2 – go yourself! I lost him twice on the test and had to wait for him to catch up but it’s better than failing for not making progress.
    6. I kept pretty much to the speed limit, going a few kmph over for most of the time (52 in 50’s and 62 in 60’s – keeping with the flow of traffic)

Done my brake test, slow ride and turn about without issue and then headed back to the centre.

I had one dodgy moment on the test, was coming up to a set of lights near tallaght hospital, tought to myself these are going to change, and yes they did, I was in that no mans land point of should I stop or keep going?!? So I stopped, back wheel locked up and skid about 8 or 9 feet. All I was thinking is fail fail fail. He brought me back into the room in the centre, said it was good news and I started laughing and said even after my skid?! He said yeah, that was well dodgy, said it was nothing to do with my control, there must have been something on the road and said well done for keeping it up!!!

So thats it really, I went off to clondalkin and applied, didn’t even have to pay or the licence because I had a full cage one already and it’s just an amendment...

Here is a rough map. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,0.077162&z=14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Fair play on passing, I'm guessing your SV650 is restricted then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Fair play on passing, I'm guessing your SV650 is restricted then?

Yuppers - but I have the ECU restricted so I just pop the full power one in when I'm going on long trips ;)

jameshayes wrote: »
    Yuppers - but I have the ECU restricted so I just pop the full power one in when I'm going on long trips ;)

Nice, how is the power when restricted? Want to get an SV650 myself but not if its gonna be slower than my Super4.

Great, I drive it in and out of the city centre everyday so I dont really get much use for the full power, the restriction only kicks in at about 8K revs so she's full power up to that. I had the airflow restrictors in before I had the 33bhp ecu and I could only get 134kmph out of her but now with the ECU i get 160~ (got the ECU from ebay for 60 quid - wasted 200 euro on the poxy washer restricters!)

Off the line I can match the speed of my mates full power sv but my other mates cbr600 toasts me..

I'll be selling mine in the winter (getting a SP2), she's a beaut - very well looked after...
    Nice, how is the power when restricted? Want to get an SV650 myself but not if its gonna be slower than my Super4.

I get to 100kmph in about 5 seconds, and thats no where near redline - I dont think it'll be slower that the S4!

jameshayes wrote: »
    Great, I drive it in and out of the city centre everyday so I dont really get much use for the full power, the restriction only kicks in at about 8K revs so she's full power up to that. I had the airflow restrictors in before I had the 33bhp ecu and I could only get 134kmph out of her but now with the ECU i get 160~ (got the ECU from ebay for 60 quid - wasted 200 euro on the poxy washer restricters!)

Off the line I can match the speed of my mates full power sv but my other mates cbr600 toasts me..

I'll be selling mine in the winter (getting a SP2), she's a beaut - very well looked after...

I get to 100kmph in about 5 seconds, and thats no where near redline - I dont think it'll be slower that the S4!

Nice, I wouldn't buy your bike though.

It's far too nice I'd be afraid of damaging it :D

• Advertisement

Nice, I wouldn't buy your bike though.

It's far too nice I'd be afraid of damaging it :D

Ha-Ha - their a great bike tho - cant find a bad thing to say about them. The V-Twin engine is amazing, and they say once you've had a VTwin you wont have anything else (thats why i'm going for the SP2!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Well done jameshayes!

Now the two year count down begins. :D

When did you book for your test?
    I am just trying to get an idea of waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Congrats man!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

COngrats dude. Looks like the test has changed a great deal since when I did it!

Advertisement