Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C+H Sports Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

jumpguy wrote: »
    This is like...the second time in a week I've said something and missed a salient piece of information in a post. :o

I'd like to see some substituitions...namely O'Gara for Sexton and Stringer for O'Leary. Has Stringer gotten any time in the 6 Nations this year, yet? Don't think so, which is a pity, he plays rather well most times he comes on.

Ha, good work! :P

O'Gara/Stringer is always an excellent combination, so there'd be no harm in bringing Stringer on if O'Gara is brought on. O'Leary had an excellent game last time out though and he is the better player of the two these days though.. But Stringer *could* make a huge impact. Tough call, hopefully Kidney makes the right ones.. An early try after the restart would be great. We have the players to do it, so hopefully they can just keep it together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I miss Stringer, always thought he was a great player and then one day he just wasn't playing anymore? I agree though O' Gara needs to come on, if we are going to win! Exciting match though :)

Ugh, Sexton! Way to fluff another kick. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭msbrightside

Ok, i'm getting worried now.
    Bring on O'Gara!

This really isn't how I thought the match was going to turn out, i'm pretty surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I actually feel sorry for Sexton...this kick is crucial...the ref won't allow a sub...

EDIT: Oh thank God...how the man didn't care under that pressure...

At last! Well done Sexton.

Oh, O'Gara is on now!

Yeah i feel very sorry for Sexton aswel, it's a lot of pressure on him. Glad he got the last penalty or he'd have been kicking himself for months!
    Scotland are running circles around us atm, we need to stop giving them all these frees and win our lineouts.

I now believe in a God, his name is Tommy Bowe.

Oh, and excellent conversion by O'Gara.

\o/

I have mentioned this before, but Tommy Bowe you are some man!
    And yay for Ronan O'Gara's conversion!

• Advertisement

That was such a hard kick and he made it look simple.

Tommy Bowe :D He's also winning as the peoples favourite rugby player, it said it earlier. I completely agree.

Pfft who cares about that french guy whose name i can neither pronounce nor spell..Tommy Bowe for player of the tournament!

I get waay to nervous while watching rugby matches..:o

Ugh! This game is really irritating me. Fair enough, France beat us - they're clearly the best team of this championship. But Scotland. Scotland?! Knowing we have the better team and still somehow not winning (yet anyway) is frustrating me no end.

O'Gara bringing it level again.. now for a tense 5 minutes.. >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ronan o gara, whata man :D

This going to be a nerve-wracking 5 minutes.
    Please, Ireland, win this!!

Oh oh, ****ing too slow on the ball to kick it away. Here's a Scottish penalty...

Dan Parks better be careful coming out of Croke Park...there's an angry 60/70,000 Irish fans with him waiting so long.

Goodbye triple crown..

:(

Ahh, well this is annoying :( 40 seconds left.

Sexton must be kicking himself, the poor lad. He's definetly has got a place on the pitch, but as kicker? I don't think so...

• Advertisement

I think what makes this loss all the more disappointing is the fact it was our last match in Croke Park. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I now believe in a God, his name is Tommy Bowe.

Oh, and excellent conversation by O'Gara.

\o/

What was he talking about?

:pac:

If O'Gara was on for the whole match I think the results would have been different but Scotland were the better team :( Ah well there's always next year!

I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with how our pack have played. The backs, when they got a chance, did alright, but our scrum, our line-out.. These are supposedly our strengths according to previous stats. Where were they today? WTF was going on?

John Hayes had a woeful tournament. O'Connell was poor for him. Our back row of Wallace, Heaslip and Ferris have been mostly decent, but meh. Of the backs, Sexton needs to learn a lot. Our games could have been a lot better for having O'Gara in them The highlights of the tournament were, for me, Keith Earls and Tommy Bowe. Both of them were unreal at times - involved in every positive play, every try. But it's not enough. We need a fresh pack it seems. Time to start taking some of the U20s who've done so well this year? :pac:

Ugh. Just ugh. Lessons to be learned from this year. There's an awful lot of whats, whys, whos and WTF-were-you-thinkings that Kidney needs to address. We may well still finish second if England lose to France, but it'll be a very poor second.

Must do better next year.

Edit:
    Jako8 wrote: »
    What was he talking about?

:pac:

Duly edited. How'd I manage that? >.<

I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with how our pack have played. The backs, when they got a chance, did alright, but our scrum, our line-out.. These are supposedly our strengths according to previous stats. Where were they today? WTF was going on?

John Hayes had a woeful tournament. O'Connell was poor for him. Our back row of Wallace, Heaslip and Ferris have been mostly decent, but meh. Of the backs, Sexton needs to learn a lot. Our games could have been a lot better for having O'Gara in them The highlights of the tournament were, for me, Keith Earls and Tommy Bowe. Both of them were unreal at times - involved in every positive play, every try. But it's not enough. We need a fresh pack it seems. Time to start taking some of the U20s who've done so well this year? :pac:

Ugh. Just ugh. Lessons to be learned from this year. There's an awful lot of whats, whys, whos and WTF-were-you-thinkings that Kidney needs to answer. We may well still finish second if England lose to France, but it'll be a very poor second.

Must do better next year
    Aye, well said. As sad as it makes me to say it, I'd say the Bull will probably be announcing his retirement soon enough. What is, 40 something now? The fact his gotten this far is an admirable achievement in itself, but the scrum will need a serious shake-up.

Kidney put too much faith in Sexton imo. I think he gave too much chances. Kidney seems like a nice guy, but this is professional rugby and if you need to break someone's heart by replacing them, then the player would have to get over it.

I'll definetly be taking more of an interest in the U20's Six Nations next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

:(.I don't understand why O' Gara wasn't on from the start.Sexton nearly threw away the Welsh gameby putting 4 or 5 wide and if he'd scored those kicks that he missed today we would have won.I kinds feel sorry for him now though, poor lad.At least he scored that last one.

I love the commentary on RTÉ after the match.

Hook 'We have the worst scrum in the world!' - such an exaggeration, brillant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Last year was the only year I decided I was going to really follow the 6 Nations. This year I haven't even watched the Ireland matches.

So clearly, it's my fault we did so shite this year.

Apologies.

I hope Sligo Rovers win now! I need to be cheered up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The U20's forwards are nowhere near ready. We've an ageing front 5 and not much to replace them. It'll be tough to get the youngsters up to speed after the world cup.

On a positive note the rugby forum makes for some hilarious reading at the moment.

I love the commentary on RTÉ after the match.

Hook 'We have the worst scrum in the world!' - such an exaggeration, brillant.

Sadly he's not exaggerating.

The U20's forwards are nowhere near ready. We've an ageing front 5 and not much to replace them. It'll be tough to get the youngsters up to speed after the world cup.

On a positive note the rugby forum makes more some hilarious reading at the moment.
    Woah, so much locked threads. O_O

On a positive note the rugby forum makes for some hilarious reading at the moment.

Oh, I know that, unfortunately! Hopefully there's a few provincial players who can step up and form a decent pack with whoever we have left. I'm keeping everything crossed! :)

Sadly he's not exaggerating.

They wern't great today but in general they're really good. George Hook is hilarious, he always speaks his mind.

They wern't great today but in general they're really good. George Hook is hilarious, he always speaks his mind.

They're good players but not good scrummagers. If every team was fully fit with all players available, Ireland would have the worst scrum out of all the rugby playing nations.

I love listening to Hook though. He said his prediction of Scotland being dark horses was proven right... after they won one match:pac:

• Advertisement

Ohh Johnny Wilkinson 5 points behind ROG in the all-time 6 Nations scoring list...makes this match all the more interesting.

They're good players but not good scrummagers. If every team was fully fit with all players available, Ireland would have the worst scrum out of all the rugby playing nations.

I love listening to Hook though. He said his prediction of Scotland being dark horses was proven right... after they won one match:pac:

I thought Ireland was known for it's good scrums?
    Yeah Hook's usually right even if he does go a bit overboard sometimes, love listening to him after a match. Scotland were so close to getting the wooden spoon!

England just scored a try. :eek: This could be good...

Ireland are known for their good line outs, no so much their scrums...

Ireland are known for their good line outs, no so much their scrums...

My bad, always thought our scrums were great though. My mam has now taken over the tv so I can't watch the rugby but it'll be interesting to see who wins, it's been a good match so far anway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Just realised I'll be on the school trip to Cologne during the 1st leg of United - Bayern.

Might have to organise a de-tour to Munich and pick up a ticket outside the Allianz Arena :D

I went to London with my school last year to see King Lear. It just so happened to be on the same day as the last rugby match of the season to see if we would win the championship. My P.E teacher was there too and he was not happy he missed it. We were listening to the match in the taxi on the way to the play and got the results in the middle of it. My P.E teacher stood up half way through and threw his hands in the air and shouting to let everyone else know we had won, the actors wern't too happy. Epic night though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

jumpguy wrote: »
    Ohh Johnny Wilkinson 5 points behind ROG in the all-time 6 Nations scoring list...makes this match all the more interesting.

actually ROG is 1 point ahead of J Wilkinson...O'Gara's 5 points today put him back on the top of the list (or so RTE tells me)...and judging on how Toby Flood is doing so far id be surprised if we see Wilkinson on the pitch today :)

on a plus note, as of this afternoon, we now know who is in our group for the Rugby World Cup next year...we got Australia, Italy, Russia and the USA...lets just hope we can do them all in and take the French down somewhere along the way too :) will make up for all our misadventure in this year's 6 Nations :cool:

kev_s88 wrote: »
    actually ROG is 1 point ahead of J Wilkinson...O'Gara's 5 points today put him back on the top of the list (or so RTE tells me)...and judging on how Toby Flood is doing so far id be surprised if we see Wilkinson on the pitch today :)

on a plus note, as of this afternoon, we now know who is in our group for the Rugby World Cup next year...we got Australia, Italy, Russia and the USA...lets just hope we can do them all in and take the French down somewhere along the way too :) will make up for all our misadventure in this year's 6 Nations :cool:
    Apart from Australia, not a bad group at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Just realised I'll be on the school trip to Cologne during the 1st leg of United - Bayern.

Might have to organise a de-tour to Munich and pick up a ticket outside the Allianz Arena :D

That would be some detour when munich is 350 miles from Cologne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I haven't even seen the match and I can tell you he should have taken off sexton at half time[he's just not up to scratch yet for international rugby]

I really miss stringer,he was proportionally the strongest rugby player in the world for ages.The first day he stepped on to the pitch he was first choice scrum half for years after,he never was dropped for a mtach apart from injury of which he had very few and then one day TOL takes his place and he's only been back on the pitch once since[internationally]

I thinks it's a sham he's not put on late second half more often,he's the one player,garaunteed to make the team work harder and get a visible shift in the game,just by being there.

as for the pack,we need a more solid front row[hayes isn't good enough,from a rugby point of view] as for second rows I think we're a bit fúcked as far as that's concerned we have one of the best guy sin the world in Paul O'Connell and donnacha isn't to be laughed at either.replacement wise it'll almost certainly be a downgrade.

^^This is why I like to stay out of the rugby forum.It takes too long to leave it

The limerick lads played well today. Was really happy to clap them off the pitch :)

And with dublin losing to galway today, relegation play-off in parnell park in 2 weeks. DUN DUN DUN!

I haven't even seen the match and I can tell you he should have taken off sexton at half time[he's just not up to scratch yet for international rugby]

I really miss stringer,he was proportionally the strongest rugby player in the world for ages.The first day he stepped on to the pitch he was first choice scrum half for years after,he never was dropped for a mtach apart from injury of which he had very few and then one day TOL takes his place and he's only been back on the pitch once since[internationally]

I thinks it's a sham he's not put on late second half more often,he's the one player,garaunteed to make the team work harder and get a visible shift in the game,just by being there.

Stringer was dropped for Reddan long before TOL came along. Granted it was at a stage when Reddan was playing quite well. He doesn't get selected any more because his pass, the one thing he had over the other scrumhalves, has gone to crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

And with dublin losing to galway today, relegation play-off in parnell park in 2 weeks. DUN DUN DUN!

Up the dubs.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Up the dubs.

haha, yea.
    Well the league can go anyway.
    I'd favour the dubs buuut the league is so unpredictable.
    Offaly turned ye over.
    We could too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement