Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postage

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭

Its so bloody dear in Ireland!

I post alot of Nintendo DS Lites and up to quite recently the prices to post a ds lite in a standard padded envelope (bit less than half the size of an A4 page in size i think) was €3.75 for standard and €5.75 for registered. I've now noticed that the price has increased to €6.75 for registered (not sure if standard has raised)

About 3-4 weeks ago I recieved a package from the UK of an xbox 360 controller, which is a similar size and weight to a DS. It was sent in a similar sized padded envelope to what I use. Price stickier on the outside read £2.19, which is roughly €2.60.

So If you compare that to the Irish price there is a €1.15 which is makes the irish price just under 50% dearer than the Uk price

Am I the only one who thinks its crazy that it is cheaper for someone in England to send me a package then it is for someone in Ireland to send me one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I know exactly what you mean..i have a sister who lives in northern ireland who uses the royal mail...so much cheaper compared to an post...even with registered mail...and also the free deliveries she gets with play.com!

That and the fact shes uses virgin media broadband...she gets 30mb speed easily...the republic barely scrapes 1mb...hate Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that OTT postage isn't just limited to stuff being sent to the UK, as some of their suppliers are also taking the piss where delivery charges are concerned.

One supplier, Aria computers, charges a minimum of £26.95 to send up to 5kgs here, with £2.30 for each kg above that. Dabs charge the equivalent of £10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Yes its cheaper in the UK to post things because there are 65million people there and volume = cheaper to operate.

As for sending ds lites - they should be classified as large envelopes if they are under 25mm thick and therefore a rate of €1.90 applies within Ireland.

Also, service differs - all small packets / large envelopes go airmail from ireland to UK (stupid) whereas royal mail has a surface option that costs £2.14 to Ireland, but takes up to 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Aria computers, charges a minimum of £26.95 to send up to 5kgs here, with £2.30 for each kg above that.
    The place in my sig link do up to 26kg for £6.95! 26kg would be £75.25 with your place!

It can depend on the product, some electronics places only deal with good couriers who have a reputation for never breaking stuff, but they might not have calculated it right, i.e. if they went cheaper the added sales might offset the losses from breakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rubadub wrote: »
    The place in my sig link do up to 26kg for £6.95! 26kg would be £75.25 with your place!

It can depend on the product, some electronics places only deal with good couriers who have a reputation for never breaking stuff, but they might not have calculated it right, i.e. if they went cheaper the added sales might offset the losses from breakage.

I use the people in your sig link, but unfortunately they don't sell computer bits and electronics, or I'd probably use them a bit more.:D

The only time that I ever bought anything from Aria was when they happened to have a cheap lcd monitor, so my brother also decided that he wanted one, so we split the postage.

I've tried to explain to some of these companies that, if they found a cheaper courier, they would increase their turnover here, but they're obviously not that desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

darc wrote: »
    Yes its cheaper in the UK to post things because there are 65million people there and volume = cheaper to operate.

Well obvioulsy there is economies of scale, but i was more bothered because half of the work was taking place in Ireland anyways.

As for sending ds lites - they should be classified as large envelopes if they are under 25mm thick and therefore a rate of €1.90 applies within Ireland.

I wish, the DS is 2cm on its own, add bubble wrap, or a bubble wrap envelop and your over the limit.
    Also, service differs - all small packets / large envelopes go airmail from ireland to UK (stupid) whereas royal mail has a surface option that costs £2.14 to Ireland, but takes up to 7 days.

That is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Funny thing is its the same to UK as 'rest of europe' but they still list them separate. And in fact its cheaper to the 'rest of world' for larger items due to having to pay VAT on items sent within EU, I don't really understand this but it pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dafdara

My Garage sends a lot of post from Ireland to the Uk with a company called Wiseloads,saving us a lot of money.Don't know much about their domestic and worldwide rates as we only use their UK service.Might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I wish, the DS is 2cm on its own, add bubble wrap, or a bubble wrap envelop and your over the limit.

a bubble envelope is not more than 5mm.

get a pack of 10 bubble envelopes & measure them in theri pack. Divide this by 10 and you have the net thickness of a bubble envelope - about 3mm.

Instead of going into the PO and getting them to weigh it and guess the measurement, just put a €2 stamp on the envelope and drop it into the post box. A 82c & 55c stamp if it is under 250g (€1.35)

I've been doing this for about a year and not one item has been delayed or returned.

Advertisement