Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to.....

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

...sell two RTM copies of windows 7? A friend of my dads in microsoft gave him three copies of windows 7 64 bit ultimate to install on the home computers. Literally all they are, are 3 burned dvd's of the OS and 3 serial codes that we can register to ourselves. Its all legit however, he only needs one so I was considering selling the other 2.

Normally I wouldn't second guess it but theres something inside of me saying there should be something wrong with this.....

Opinions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

It's just selling something that you have and don't need,

just like anything else except you got it for free(which is quite a bonus)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

requiem1 wrote: »
    ...sell two RTM copies of windows 7? A friend of my dads in microsoft gave him three copies of windows 7 64 bit ultimate to install on the home computers. Literally all they are, are 3 burned dvd's of the OS and 3 serial codes that we can register to ourselves. Its all legit however, he only needs one so I was considering selling the other 2.

Normally I wouldn't second guess it but theres something inside of me saying there should be something wrong with this.....

Opinions please

I am using such a fine product that I procured off adverts a few months ago.
    1991 Computer Software Directive (EU)

The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the distribution right within the Community of that copy, with the exception of the right to control further rental of the program or a copy thereof.

Not renting it or selling copies of it so fair game. Clearly Microsoft would say it is only a license for use (blah blah etc.).

Grey area to be honest but 100% legit in my book (Disclamer: My opinion may be worthless in a court of law :p)

Discussion at theregister.co.uk here (OEM Copies, not essentially full retail ones like you have so the principles apply even moreso in that case)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/08/selling_oem_windows_copies_you/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Nice one how much did you pay for it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

requiem1 wrote: »
    Nice one how much did you pay for it?

I Paid 70 + a tenner afterwards to M$ send a 64bit disk. Same story in a sleve with a serial number printed on it. I think it was an decent enough price for a full retail version in all fairness.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I Paid 70 + a tenner afterwards to M$ send a 64bit disk. Same story in a sleve with a serial number printed on it. I think it was an decent enough price for a full retail version in all fairness.

Yeah i think what got to me about it is because its a normal dvd and a serial written down it seems so fake but I know its legit cause I registered one of them to my dad and all is working fine with updates etc. I presume its like that cause they're volume licences they're issueing? i.e they don't put the fancy wrapping on them for the manufacturers?

Anyways it works and its legit so I guess its up to the buyer in the end. I just haven't a clue what to sell it for cause unlike the retail you can't do an upgrade using the disk its only fresh install like an OEM. The retail is going for 250 so will I say half that and call it quits for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭JDxtra

€125 for software with potentially dubious origins and burnt onto a standard blank DVD? Sure MS could flag it as a pirated copy after a month. €20 is a more realistic price IMO. Any more than that and if it stops working the seller will be looking for a refund from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭JDxtra

marco_polo wrote: »

Err, a disc in a sleeve is NOT the full retail version. And how could you have bought Windows 7 months ago when is was only released to manufacturers recently?

JDxtra wrote: »
    €125 for software with potentially dubious origins and burnt onto a standard blank DVD? Sure MS could flag it as a pirated copy after a month. €20 is a more realistic price IMO. Any more than that and if it stops working the seller will be looking for a refund from you.

Well its not a pirate copy I know that much given the guy works in microsoft and i doubt he needs to get pirated copies. I think it comes from an MSDN subscription cause thats the way they were released. I don't think it'd worth my while to sell it for 20 euro and if it registers originally it can't get flagged as a pirated copy. Believe me mate i'm not in the piracy game.
    JDxtra wrote: »
    Err, a disc in a sleeve is NOT the full retail version. And how could you have bought Windows 7 months ago when is was only released to manufacturers recently?

It wasn't 7 he said it was vista in the previous post, and i got a full retail version of ms office pro and all i got was cd in a sleeve with the code and the handbook thing and warranty. If you order it off software for students all they do is send you a cd and the code and thats it. Once again I think thats cause they sell off volume licences.

Advertisement