Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

honda hrv

• 10-08-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi there, i'm a newbie so hope i'm posting in the right place.
    can any of you tell me where i'd get a cheap gear box knob for my honda hrv? honda dealers are quoting me 62 e and halfords and general car part shops don't do knobs for honda hrv's. my one has 2 little clip thingys at the end that fit into the silver ring over the leather cover. hope that makes sense!!! any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try a few scrap yards maybe. Rare enough car so might be tough. www.traynors.co.uk could be worth a shot, so could fleabay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

ya think thats what i'l do, all the car shops say they'r universal gear knobs but they ain't!!! cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There seems to be alot of them for sale on eBay though my gut feeling is that most are universal:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=honda+hr-v+gear+stick+knob&_sacat=See-All-Categories

problem is that all the so called universal ones don't have the double clip thingy at the end. seems that my only option is to buy new or from scrap yard...will try scrap yard first. ta for your replys

tried here already to find out where to get a gear knob for my honda hrv...bar buying a new one (62e) i've tried car ass' shops and scrap yards to no avail. can anyone please tell me if theres another type of gear knob that will fit a hrv ( the current 1 is unusual in that it has a double clip thingy at the base that the silver ring fits over). can't afford the 62e for a new one so would love to find an alternative. (someone took a screw driver to the current one!!!) please help!!!:confused:

• Advertisement

oh if it were only that easy....see heres the prob, that link you posted shows a gear knob identical to the ones for sale in halfords....theres a million of those types on e-bay and they all say honda hrv but in actual fact are the "universal" variety which will not fit my Feckin gear stick. that type will screw on the to gear stick but don't have the clips at the end to hold the silver ring ( attached to the leather glove) in place!!!!aaarrrgggg!!
    thanks so much for posting the link and taking the time....but surely to god theres a feckin knob:D out there somewhere that will fit my car!!!
    (i'm sure you've guessed i'm a girl:o and blonde...so that doesn't help;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

a good resin like tiger seal would hold that all together ,bit messy but in the right hands it could be done right and tidy.

what i might do is go to halfords and get the guys there to fit a universal one and get the tiger seal and bring that to my local machanic and see if he can make it look presentable!!! might be worth the 30e or so euro i'l save.thanks:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

best thing to do is get one with a lip at the bottom, then remove the gaitor and tuen inside out, cable tie the gaitor around the knob, then turn the right way round. roll some insulating tape around the shaft under the cable tie so it doesn't slip down screw the knob in, then click the gaitor back in.

I hate aftermarket gearknobs though, they're never of a comparable quality to originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

^ Colm's method is satisfactory. When used with a sold metal gearknob the result can be surprisingly good.

I had one like this once, backlit and all. Cost about €15 shipped.

SK-CV88-TYPER-CHR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Type R gearknob JHMEG?

Backlit, how does that work?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Type R gearknob JHMEG?

Backlit, how does that work?
    Two small wires come out the bottom. Run them inside the gator to the backlight wire in the loom for the stereo. Backlighting on mine was pale blue. In a mate's 05 Accord now, used by me in my DA6 before that.

You'd like them. Would go well in your car too, in red tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Any chance you could post a link to where you got that JHMEG? Looks interesting. Cheers

Sorry, got it on ebay maybe 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

No worries. At least I know they exist now. :)

lads yer full of info'.....thanks a million, tried a universal 1 2day and was going to use the tiger seal as suggested previously but the knob wouldn't fit right at all!!!!! so will keep trying the scrap yards and if that fails i'l try get one like the one you've shown on ebay. thanks again:o

Advertisement