Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Advice for a tv?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi there, I have a lcd tv that this year I want to bring up to college. Im wondering could anyone tell me how an insurance that I could get insurance on the TV with?

Its just the TV i need insurance on cause Ill be bringing it up to student accomadation for the year?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

You'll need to talk to your landlord, or you will need all-risks on your current policy

And dont forget the TV license...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Your landlord, or his insurer, will not have any interest in you TV or your general belongings. You need to take out a Contents Only policy in your name from any of the major insurers. You will not be able to take out a policy on the TV itself in isolation and most insist on a minimum sum insured of around €15k. It should be affordable. Remember though, if you are sharing a place, without a lock and key to your own apartment/zone, it might be dear and wouldn't cover theft by a fellow tenant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

Thanks so which insurance company should I ring up?? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It really is a bit of shopping around. I assume you will be moving out of the family home place, so the insurers who look after your folk's insurance is a good starting point

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If you're only renting a room as opposed to a flat, you might have trouble getting contents insurance. How much is your TV worth? If your parents have an all risks home insurance policy, get them to ring their provider and see if they will cover it while you're living in college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement