Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethal paint being used on Blanchardstown roadworks.

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Alright guys,

The road works going on around the Blanchardstown and M50 round about have left some amount of lethal black paint covering up the old road markings. As soon as it starts to rain they become as slippery as ice. Now I'm coming from a motorcyclists perspective but I can hardly imagine anyone would want to be involved the accident when a biker loses traction on one of these patches.

Anyone else run into difficulty on these?

Can everyone contact F.C.C and voice their concerns? Call them - 01 890 5000

Also, new road layout markings are terrible in some parts. Nearly been run off the road by people not knowing where their lane is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Sounds serious. Might not be noticed until something bad happens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If they thought they used it to cover up the road markings then they're kidding themselves...the road markings are a mess and I am amazed there haven't been more accidents already. It's impossible to work out which markings actually are the borders of the lanes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think it's backpaint, they burn the markings off so I'm guessing it's just melted tar that has been smoothed over by vehicles.

As for the road markings showing the new lanes, I think they're fine, it's morons that don't follow them that are the problem, I see it every morning, people crossing over 2 or 3 lanes because they don't want to make the extra effort in steering.

Jip wrote: »
    As for the road markings showing the new lanes, I think they're fine, it's morons that don't follow them that are the problem, I see it every morning, people crossing over 2 or 3 lanes because they don't want to make the extra effort in steering.

Are you serious? I drive in the middle lane and there are three sets of markings on each side!! In daylight and clear weather it's tough enough but in the rain you haven't a chance of seeing the right ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

A lot of the problem is idiots in my opinion. Some people just don't look at the road markings or the signs that are up.

Another issue is the road markings though. Some of them are a little misleading with a mix of black paint, faded white, solid white, yellow, etc.

• Advertisement

I certainly do look at signs and road markings...one of the few in the D15 area who do :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Well there's cause of the problem so - you get one maverick who observes lane markings, follows the rules of the road, and in some instance may even know how to use a roundabout, and they just muck it up for everyone else! Bet you even use those little yellow lights at the side of your car when you're planning to turn. For shame, you shouldn't be allowed on the road!!
    :)

Seriously though, the markings do get slippery. Back in the day when I had a motorbike the only bad fall I had was caused by wet & slippery road markings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Completely serious. I was out of the country when they made the change and when I came back I managed to follow them easily enough. Have been able to do the same every morning since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Random wrote: »
    A lot of the problem is idiots in my opinion. Some people just don't look at the road markings or the signs that are up.

Another issue is the road markings though. Some of them are a little misleading with a mix of black paint, faded white, solid white, yellow, etc.

Totally agree. Smart asses are also a problem - like those coming from town on the N3 in the evenings through the M50 roundabout who stay in the right-most (temporary M50 northbound) lane and then push their way into the other lane to go straight on at the last minute in an attempt to beat some of the traffic.

People need to take extra care around there at the moment and not be so aggressive. There was what looked like a nasty accident there on Thursday evening involving a motorbike of some sort.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Jip wrote: »
    Completely serious. I was out of the country when they made the change and when I came back I managed to follow them easily enough. Have been able to do the same every morning since.

Ditto, but I do think the lane markings leave a lot to be desired in terms of the old ones that have been covered up. When they're wet or the sun is low it's difficult to make out which of the mess of lines is the current valid set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

Those lane markings are a shambles. Whilst most people should be able to follow them in the daytime, they can be particularly tricky for someone unfamiliar with the road on a rainy night. Don't get me started on the lane hoppers, most of which blatantly use the m50 lane and cut in at the end:mad:, inbound AND outbound !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement