Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan show - gaming addiction

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Anyone listening to gerry this morning ?

Some1's ma was on talking about how their 17 year old son was addicted to cs, was on for a good hour or so, pretty funny and yet pretty sad.

I bet it was menengroth's mawwww !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Oh nice, I'll have a quick browse on their site to if it's been podcast.

edit: not up yet, probably tomorrow.

Edit2: http://2fm.rte.ie/previously_played << click on "I want to listen to a recording of the show" and you can listen to today's show. It starts at 25:16. Podcast will be available for download tomorrow.

I have to actually commend Gerry Ryan as he has some knowledge in gaming as his son plays on Xbox Libe (no he didn't give out his gamertag). The first person on actually realised that it was the son that had the issue but the later parent was blaming the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I have to actually commend Gerry Ryan as he has some knowledge in gaming as his son plays on Xbox Libe (no he didn't give out his gamertag). The first person on actually realised that it was the son that had the issue but the later parent was blaming the game.

thats the problem with parents today ...... always blaming the game (looking for someone to blame/sue).... it was never my little johnnys fault ... must have been that evil game that polluted his mind..... that darn interweb thingy made him do it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It's always been a theory that games will remain a scapegoat for society until all parents and politicians are people who played games themselves or are at least at an age that gave them some exposure to games growing up.

But it's getting to the stage now were most people who have kids would've grown up with games themselves. Even a 17 year old (born in 92) would have parents that should have had some exposure to games. Yes games are are bit different these days but people really shouldn't be claiming not to have any understanding of them.

So it looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer.

Don't forget, it wasn't that long ago when movies like The Exorcist, Texas chainsaw massacre and driller killer were banned and considered video nasties that could corrupt our fragile little minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Joe Duffy had a big segment about gaming addiction too recently....although it was heavily focused on WoW. One person that rang in wanted a study conducted to compare games to hardcore drugs! Idiots!

Yet idling away time watching TV is fine (other comparisons to "useful" hobbies but requires explanation rather than back and forth messages....and would probably come across like I was attacking the hobbies. I'm ok with people thinking I'm trashing TV :pac:)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I was listening to it in work. Sent in an e-mail, but I went for lunch so don't know if they read it out.

The parent was completely ignorant, over-protective and blaming her child's ills on videogames instead of obvious bad parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I was listening to it in work. Sent in an e-mail, but I went for lunch so don't know if they read it out.

The parent was completely ignorant, over-protective and blaming her child's ills on videogames instead of obvious bad parenting.

I wouldnt go as far as to claim bad parenting..... but definately ignorant and over-protective.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Well what would you call being ignorant, over-protective and incapable of disciplining your child if not bad parenting? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest, while blaming videogames on the criminal behaviour of an individual is absolutely ridiculous I do think that videogame addiction is a big issue in particular for online games. I know a few people that took CS very seriously during school. One of the guys is extremely intelligent and could have done a lot better if it wasn't for CS, he'll admit that himself. He's doing great for himself now but I can see it really affecting people a lot worse. WoW in particular and other MMO's can affect people pretty badly. There was an excellent documentary on TG4 a few years back about online game addiction and one person in particular who was a big everquest addict stood out. She had a group of mates that she hung out with on it and they decided to meet up but they all pulled out because they thought that meeting up would spoil the illusion and they wouldn't treat each other the same. She even gave up her job to play more. I think it's a pretty serious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

but thats only a small minority of people who take it that serious. I was listening to gerry today, he was the only person who kinda stuck up for games.
    At the end of the day, id rather sit in and play cs all evening that hanging around the street. The mother was sayin that her kid was getting into debt n all playing alot of online poker, that dosent mean every kid is gonna start doing that.
    ITS A GAME!!! Its not the game that ruins peoples lives, they ruin it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fracture wrote: »
    The mother was sayin that her kid was getting into debt n all playing alot of online poker, that dosent mean every kid is gonna start doing that.

Erm... Don't you need a credit card to do that anyway?
    That has bad parenting written all over it imo... I'm not sure how old this kid was, but nobody should be allowed to have a credit card until they're totally independant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I totally agree that gaming can be addictive. Not necessarily blaming the game since it's the individual who is at fault as the individual has the ultimate choice of whether they play the game or not

During summer between 2nd and 3rd year of my degree I discovered Quake2 multiplayer. for nearly 2 years my free time pretty much revolved around the game and I nearly bombed out during my 3rd year exams. Thankfully it had no detrimental effect on my final year result.

Do I blame Quake2 for nearly failing my 3rd year exams ? No.
    Do I blame my parents ? Of course I don't.
    Do I regret playing Quake2 for all those many hours every day of the week ? No.
    Do I blame myself for allowing my studies to take 2nd place ? Yes.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To be honest, while blaming videogames on the criminal behaviour of an individual is absolutely ridiculous I do think that videogame addiction is a big issue in particular for online games. I know a few people that took CS very seriously during school. One of the guys is extremely intelligent and could have done a lot better if it wasn't for CS, he'll admit that himself. He's doing great for himself now but I can see it really affecting people a lot worse. WoW in particular and other MMO's can affect people pretty badly. There was an excellent documentary on TG4 a few years back about online game addiction and one person in particular who was a big everquest addict stood out. She had a group of mates that she hung out with on it and they decided to meet up but they all pulled out because they thought that meeting up would spoil the illusion and they wouldn't treat each other the same. She even gave up her job to play more. I think it's a pretty serious issue.

But you could say that there is a breed of people who do constantly look for a escape or a second life away from their own as they aren't happy with it.

It takes two to become addicted the person and the game. The game alone won't suck a person into for 24 hours, more then likely the person has some sort of vulnerability to it. Most gamers will be able to distinguish between real life and their own gaming life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I got addicted to Gears of War multi player and did horrible in the junior cert. Completely my fault and my addictive personality.

1) I highly doubt epic games gathered for a board meeting and decided to make a game that can harm people, its not the games fault.

2) Not my parents fault, I had them convinced i was studying and I played for 2hrs everyday before they both came home from work at 5.30.

Now on Wednesday we will find out whether Team Fortress 2 addiction eff'd up my leaving cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

I wouldnt blame the parents.... neither would i blame the games... its a difficult situation tbh, i know... cs more or less ****ed up my Alevel's.... it really did, i know it did the same for quite alot of other ppl that i was playing with.

I dont care what anyone on here says, playing cs or wow for 5hrs+ a day is not healthy and it WILL have a negitive effect on your life. I know some people that play wow from 4 or 5 when they get home, to 2 or 3 at night, and from morning to morning on weekends... most wow players are the same tbh.... the game can really **** your life up.

I think alot of people on here are probably in denial aswel, just dont want to admit they play games far too much. I'd say that the majority of people that play wow + cs ( Competively anyway ) are not doing nearly aswel in life as they could if they stopped playing altogether.

Just type /played on your toons..... see how that makes you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

tman wrote: »
    Erm... Don't you need a credit card to do that anyway?
    That has bad parenting written all over it imo... I'm not sure how old this kid was, but nobody should be allowed to have a credit card until they're totally independant

He was getting friends to do it for him or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Heard it myself and fair fracks to Gerry he got to the root of the issue quick enough, I think basically the parents were way too lenient in the beginning and by the time they realised there was a problem it had all gone arse-ways.

And in fairness to the lad they moved from England only two years ago, which he didn't want and would be tough on anyone never mind a teenager! this was probably his way of rebellion :rolleyes:

That and his obvious addictive compulsive personality:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

magilly wrote: »
    I wouldnt blame the parents.... neither would i blame the games... its a difficult situation tbh, i know... cs more or less ****ed up my Alevel's.... it really did, i know it did the same for quite alot of other ppl that i was playing with.

I dont care what anyone on here says, playing cs or wow for 5hrs+ a day is not healthy and it WILL have a negitive effect on your life. I know some people that play wow from 4 or 5 when they get home, to 2 or 3 at night, and from morning to morning on weekends... most wow players are the same tbh.... the game can really **** your life up.

I think alot of people on here are probably in denial aswel, just dont want to admit they play games far too much. I'd say that the majority of people that play wow + cs ( Competively anyway ) are not doing nearly aswel in life as they could if they stopped playing altogether.

Just type /played on your toons..... see how that makes you feel.

Doing anything that much is not good for you. Balance is required. Gaming can also be very social - get friends over, go to LANs. Also, to be honest and quite blunt, CS did not mess up your, or your friends', A-Levels...You did. If you played soccer every night of the week instead, is it soccers fault? Or should you have said 'no'?

And yes (for now hopefully) those playing competitively could do better (perhaps) by stopping...But this is something that they love. Major sports were treated as a joke of a career years ago and look where we are now. There are also the handful that are doing very well from "playing a game".

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Some1's ma was on talking about how their 17 year old son was addicted to cs, was on for a good hour or so, pretty funny and yet pretty sad.

She is a sad sad person. It is not her fault as a parent of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

its not called Hardcore E-Sports Gaming Action just to pull into 2nd place behind rl dont ya know. play hard, go pr0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Sabre0001 wrote:
    There are also the handful that are doing very well from "playing a game"

Baby handfuls unfortunatley :(

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Anyone listening to gerry this morning ?

I bet it was menengroth's mawwww !

lmao, fu steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bpbraz

You Found my Thread :) +1

Hi Brian, first thing, fair play for posting that up. Secondly, NO UNPROVOKED FLAMING FROM ANYONE TOWARDS BRIAN. If you break that rule you'll be banned from this forum for a week. I'd like us to have a mature discussion on this, if at all possible.

You gave a brief overview of the topic on SGL, would you like to go in to more detail?. We've heard your mother's side of things at this stage.

Is she making stuff up because she doesn't know the full story or what? What did you say to your mum afterwards, should of settled it classic style, knives on dust winner doesn't go to therapy :P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zaKed

Personally I have to say that Gerry Ryan and the boys mother seem totally clueless about 'gaming' and that part of the modern youth culture. Fair enough, they are older and from a very different generation, noone is expecting them to have a good understanding of it, however, if you don't understand something, then you shouldn't jump to conclusions based upon steriotypes. You should do a bit of research, talk to the kid about it properly.. not phone up a radio show.

I played games competatively like the guy they're talking about, and I will admit that it is very easy to ignore other responsabilities etc, because at the end of the day, playing games is more fun. I've done worse at school because of it, but I still did well enough to do what I wanted to do, and the fact is, it's my choice how well I do at school, not my parents.

Instead of trying to stop him from spending time on the computer, they should be supportive of him doing something that he really enjoys, but at the same time encourage him to also put focus into his studies.

Spending time on the computer playing games, involves lots of talking and interacting with people (using microphones etc) from all over the world, and somewhat experiencing different cultures without having to go there, which is something that Gerrys generation never had the luxury of. I personally have made many good friends in different countries through playing games, many of whom I have met up with several times and got on really well with.

There's nothing wrong with playing games, it's no different to reading/watching TV etc. All you need is a bit of balance to make sure it's not the only thing you do.

bpbraz wrote: »
    There was a lot more to the story on TheSgl forum however ive had all my posts deleted following the link being posted on here, being a totally different envoirment.

Ill put my entire side of the Story together Later, gotta head out now :)

Don't lie your addicted get back practicing for ED.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Anyone too lazy to listen in can read what it's all about here

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

"It turns out he went to his friends’ houses to play CS. His parents saw the improvement without knowing what he was doing and gave him a computer again, without an internet connection. He, once again, hacked into his neighbours wifi connection, and played CS."

nice :D

Advertisement