Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan show - gaming addiction

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Doing anything that much is not good for you. Balance is required. Gaming can also be very social - get friends over, go to LANs. Also, to be honest and quite blunt, CS did not mess up your, or your friends', A-Levels...You did. If you played soccer every night of the week instead, is it soccers fault? Or should you have said 'no'?

And yes (for now hopefully) those playing competitively could do better (perhaps) by stopping...But this is something that they love. Major sports were treated as a joke of a career years ago and look where we are now. There are also the handful that are doing very well from "playing a game".

Without a doubt m8, i mean there were times when i'd play cs for 6/7 hours in a row... and think nothing of it. You really cant compare it to sports in any way tho... i dont think you'd find anyone that plays football for 40hours a week.... and you really cant compare friends you meet on the internet to RL m8's you'd have from playing a sport...

I donno tbh, i just know alot of ppl play these games far too much that it has to be affecting them socially and probably in other ways. Its never too late to turn it around tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bpbraz

Hi nice writeup,

Id just like to clear a few things up, Firstly

"The slippery slope gets worse, as her son has moved from the highly addictive environment of CS to playing online poker with real money, spending all night online betting money on other people?s credit cards."

This is not the case, my brother topped my account up with 10 dollars, and the quote "he is getting people to stake him" some dude saw potential and offered to pay my entry feee into a tourney which if i won id give him a percentgae back, nothing to lose

Secondly, i live quite an ordinary life, spending time on my computer only when im at home, i will by no means reject friend or family activitys to spend time on my computer, im an outgoing young man, and have recenlty got out of a long term relationship.

i did come to my senses a few months ago, when i realised i had been spending excessive times on counterstrike, i made the decision to quit.

my online time now consists of reading ebooks, downloading music interacting on msn/facebook and playing a little poker, the hinderess i do face is i usually start my online time at 11pm goin through sometimes to 4 am, but in daylight hours im usually out with friends, or meeting my brother to play snooker,

ill go clubbing at weekends or just chill with my mates.

i did have a counterstrike addiction which is no longer existant.

The leaving cert issue is a completly different story, i had missed a lot of 5th year due to lazyness and illness, i got complaicent in 6th year and began to get anxious as the exams drew closer, id felt id missed too much and there was nothing i could do to pass my leaving.

This was why i went to see my councilor, for some guidance.
    Yes when i was not in school i played counterstrike, but that was not the reason i was not in school.

i hope i have worded this correctly, im a little tired, if you guys have any questions dont hesitate to ask, the subject interests me immensley, and id like to set the board straight :)

Thank you

Brian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i presumed as much. yeah lots can screw up the leaving cert, i wouldnt worry. my mate got a free gaff 5 mins from school when i was in 6th year... needless to say i repeated :D
    you could tell by the wording used that this was all overblown. gl anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bpbraz

Yeah i have been saying sinxe may jazzy that i plan to go back in september to repeat,

my mother portrays this on the radio as " he is just full of pormises he says he will go back but we dont believe a word he says, we have lost faith"

Hard to have hope when no1 els does, but i guess ill prove them all wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

bpbraz wrote: »
    Yeah i have been saying sinxe may jazzy that i plan to go back in september to repeat,

my mother portrays this on the radio as " he is just full of pormises he says he will go back but we dont believe a word he says, we have lost faith"

Hard to have hope when no1 els does, but i guess ill prove them all wrong :)

Should have guessed as much.. Shame on the child getting addicted to Runescape though.
    Parents can exaggerate, just prove them wrong on LC.
    I have my LC coming up and i've gained a slight addiction to Fallout 3, gotta prepare for withdrawal symptoms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shaneomad

CSS > LIFE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

http://2fm.rte.ie/show/get_epg_schedule_item/11/2009-08-10

A mother rang in and talks about her son who's always playing cs, hes 17, lives in dublin and moved from england ! so who is it! it also mentions that he wanted to go to the i series, so id say someone will know who it is? Anyways its a fairly interesting show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Shaneomad wrote: »
    CSS > LIFE

Quake & starcraft 4 lyfe
    css 4 nabs tbfh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What is never mentioned is the addictive personalities these children or people actually possess.

You dont just pick up counter strike source, especially, one of THE most repetitive games going, and get addicted...

I didnt pick up wow and get hooked for 5 years, on a whim, I was always playing game,s to the best of my ability. I played golf to the hilt, analysing every part of my swing and courses, in football I analysed my gameplay and technique to a hilt, in airsoft I am anal in my preperation and command on the field and fine tuning my kit

These people, who get addicted, have addictive personalities, if you told them stacking 2cent coins was the best thing ever, they would spent the next 72 hours doing it, then the next 72 hours learning whats the best way to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

I love it near the end when gerry starts taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

at the end of the day..... things that you enjoy become "addictive". get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pringles95

hey, im his son my gamertag is
    pringles95

Advertisement