Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pick a name?

• 10-08-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I thought when I got pregnant that picking a name would be the easy fun part :confused: Its turned out to be harder than I expected.

Myself and my partner have very similar taste but I change my mind every week and I seem to be picking names are on in the most popular on the cso!
    I like: Jack, Sean, Fionn, Rian and Tadhg
    Emma, Emily, Caoimhe, Saibh and Maebh

How do I pick!!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Naming a child is one of the most important things you will ever do. I'm not going to say what you should call your child, just give it plenty of thought. Remember that the child will have to go through it's life with this name so think how the name will work when he/she is an adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

for boys i like ben, connor, matthew, eoin, james, jack, shane, dean, dylan
    for girls, i like , lauren, lorna, rachel, megan, tanya, emer, shauna, avril

dunno what il do if i ever have kids, i wont be able to choose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

chughes wrote: »
    Naming a child is one of the most important things you will ever do. I'm not going to say what you should call your child, just give it plenty of thought. Remember that the child will have to go through it's life with this name so think how the name will work when he/she is an adult.

+1
    Our 2 wee ones were nameless for about a week after being born while we decided which names seemed to suit them the best. Don't forget to say the full name (first and surname) out loud yourself - just in case the combination sounds funny, to avoid an 'Annette Curtain' :p Apologies to anyone actually going by this name by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

I wanted to call mine Hallelujahjordan, but my wife wouldn't let me :D so we have Isobel & Lucy . . Maybe if I were famous I could get away with it ??

Funny how it works. . On both pregnancies we never knew what we were having but could only agree on girls names . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

A few things to bare in mind....if you go with a longish name,it will most definatly be shortened,so make sure you like any short versions also!!if you pick a short name most people will put an 'e' sound on the end,example my son is luke,but now known as lukie to everyone.iv went for 4 letter names for all my kids,it just sort of started that way and by the 3rd i didnt want to stick a long name into the mix...maybe thats just my wierdness!!!!!
    I find it hard to find a name that will be suitable for tiny cute baby but also suit when they are adults!
    but you will know when the right name comes along,its usualy when you see the baby and can pick one that suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Were in the process of picking out a name for our next bundle due in 4/5 weeks. What we did was research online picked all the ones we like wrote them down I gave himself the list, got our daughter to say them out loud...shes 4, so anything she wasnt able to say clearly got booted off the list. Then if himself didnt like one he crossed it off.We then said our surname with the names, and I have 3 of each picked, so when bubba is born we'll get to know which name suits them and go with that. My lil one is Sheila but we had Hannah and Amy in contention for her, and David or James if she was a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

do you think its true that when you see the baby you'll know which name to pick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

yup, our little boy had no name until he was a day or so. i had spend hours of days written down every name from lots of books and websites, made deviations and shortened them and still no name was perfect enough, until he was born and i realized there was some lovely names and a name is important but not as important as the persons personality and soul and so we picked one of the nice names and are still happy with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Something i came across by mistake:

Do a Facebook search for your surname...

Some amazing names that maybe you wouldn't have thought of! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

janbaby wrote: »
    I thought when I got pregnant that picking a name would be the easy fun part :confused: Its turned out to be harder than I expected.

Myself and my partner have very similar taste but I change my mind every week and I seem to be picking names are on in the most popular on the cso!
    I like: Jack, Sean, Fionn, Rian and Tadhg
    Emma, Emily, Caoimhe, Saibh and Maebh

We found it really hard too, soooo many things to factor in, including Cultural identity, Meaning, Sound, Abbreviations, Pronunciation, Initials, & much more too > We chose a Christian name that can only be spelt one way, it is pronouncible to all (even abroad), it travels well, it sounds light, but not too light, it also fits our Surname very well, and it also sounds good with the middle name, which is an old family name.

We read somewhere that a three cyllable first name goes better with a two sylable surname! (Jessica Parker) for example, so we took that advice on board also.

Good luck to you, and remember to check the initials when you have the full name sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Whatever you do don't pick Aaron for a boy - as it indicates laziness in the parents - it's the first name in the book of boys names ha ha ha...

Advertisement