Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casey Stoner to miss next three races

• 10-08-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

massive news
    taken form mcn
    Former world champion Casey Stoner will miss at least the next three MotoGP races with the on-going health issues that have dogged the factory Ducati rider in recent weeks.

An official announcement due to be released later today by Ducati is expected to confirm that the 23-year-old will definitely miss this weekend’s Czech Republic GP in Brno. But MCN sources in Australia have confirmed Stoner will miss the Brno, Indianapolis and Misano races.

Stoner has struggled since the Catalunya GP with chronic fatigue but the precise cause of his physical problems remained a mystery after he underwent extensive tests in California immediately after the American GP at Laguna Seca in July.
    Details of further medical tests Stoner underwent during the summer break in Australia have not yet been released.

His shock withdrawal kills off his world title aspirations and leaves what was a thrilling world championship fight now effectively a two-horse race between Fiat Yamaha duo Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo.

Stoner won the opening race of the season in Qatar and further boosted his title credentials when he won the Italian GP in Mugello for Ducati, ending Rossi’s golden run on home soil. But since that race, Stoner’s health has suffered, and as a consequence so has his results.

He hadn’t claimed a podium in the previous three races and his title hopes took a massive dent at the recent British GP when he opted to run wet tyres in what was a curious gamble.

Ducati is not expecting the 2007 world champion, who has been the lynchpin behind Ducati’s MotoGP assault, to be back until the Estoril GP in Portugal next month.

Finnish rider Mika Kallio will be promoted from the Pramac satellite team to race next to American Nicky Hayden in Brno this weekend. And factory World Superbike rider Michel Fabrizio will fill Kallio’s GP9 slot next to rookie Niccolo Canepa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

some more quotes
    CASEY STONER, Ducati Marlboro Team (3rd in the championship on 150 points):
    "After five extremely difficult races due to my health, I returned to Australia to visit the sports doctors who have looked after me for many years. We have taken the difficult decision not to contest the next three rounds of the championship, to allow my body time to recover from the recent stress. The doctors believe that during the Barcelona race I was suffering from a virus, and, that I subsequently pushed my body too hard, leading to problems that have caused my fatigue since then. The doctors are continuing with many tests to try to understand these problems and make sure it does not happen again. I have spoken with Ducati and thank them for their understanding at this time. I feel very sorry for the factory, my team, my sponsors and the fans and I am also disappointed because the bike in the last races has been very competitive. I will be doing everything possible to come back at full strength for Portugal."

NICKY HAYDEN, Ducati Marlboro Team (13th in the championship on 47 points)
    "Last season I was unable to race at Brno because I was injured, but it's a great track which was completely resurfaced last year so I expect it will be much better in terms of the lumps and bumps. At least this year I will find out, having spent the break at home in Kentucky preparing myself for the second half of the year, and not taking part in things like the "X Games"! I can't wait to get back on track and score some results which will make my team happy. I hope Casey can get better over the next few weeks because we all know how quick he is when he is fit. In the meantime I need to try to make progress with the team and try to make sure that they don't miss him too much."

MIKA KALLIO, (15th in the championship on 34 points)
    "When I took the call I could hardly believe it, but then I talked to my manager and I realised it was true. I am proud to be racing the next three events with the Ducati Marlboro Team. Obviously I'm not expecting to suddenly be a second quicker, because our bikes are very similar to the official machines, but I hope to be able to pick up some good results for the team. I would particularly like to thank Paolo Campinoti, who has allowed me to enjoy this incredible opportunity. It will be a real honour for me. Nonetheless I would like to send my best wishes to Casey, and I hope to see him back out on track as soon as possible."

LIVIO SUPPO, MotoGP Project Director
    "It's obviously difficult for us to contemplate the next three races without Casey, but it's clear that the most important thing at this time is his health. Since his debut with us in Qatar in 2007, Casey has won 18 times as well as taking countless podium finishes, becoming one of the top riders in the World Championship in the process. We have already overcome tough times together, like when he had to undergo surgery on his scaphoid towards the end of last season. We are united whether in times of success or in times of difficulty. We are confident that the doctors will help solve the issues that have affected him since early June and that Casey will be able to take part in the last races of the year in peak fitness. Then we can prepare for 2010 in the best way possible. A big thank you to Paolo Campinoti who as always has proved to be a great supporter and an ideal partner for Ducati, allowing Mika to ride with the Ducati Marlboro Team for the next three races. Mika is having a really positive debut year in MotoGP and we are delighted that he will be alongside Nicky in the official works team. In his place at Brno in the Pramac Team will be Michel Fabrizio, who I am certain will know how to give the right kind of performance on one of his preferred tracks."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thats the title done so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Grim. wrote: »
    massive news
    taken form mcn

I would not be a big fan of Stoner but he will be missed alright. Hopefully he gets better soon.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Gintonious wrote: »
    Thats the title done so

Well if Vale and Lorenso knock each other off in the next 3 races Stoner might still have a chance...

Anyway i recken he is not sick at all,,,,,,hes still going around the track at Donnington,waiting on the rain....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Best thing to do really, all Summer he's been struggling with this and maybe the rest will get him fit for next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

Plus what a stupid call at Donnington to run wets on both Ducatis when everyone else ran slicks just because boy wonder thought "it was raining on the other side of the track". I think he gave up before that race even started, Hayden we told to go along with the little smoke screen for the sake of keeping up appearances. Also does anyone else think boy wonder has the wooo "Swine Flu"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Plus what a stupid call at Donnington to run wets on both Ducatis when everyone else ran slicks just because boy wonder thought "it was raining on the other side of the track". I think he gave up before that race even started, Hayden we told to go along with the little smoke screen for the sake of keeping up appearances. Also does anyone else think boy wonder has the wooo "Swine Flu"

I would say he would be delighted if all he had was the flu.
    Hope he gets sorted and can mix it up at the front with Rossi/Lorenzo in a few races.

Also does anyone else think boy wonder has the wooo "Swine Flu"

one of rossi's chief mechanics has swine flu so it is a possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

any word on what is/was wrong with him??
    i tried googleing it but i got no new news hopefuly Toby and Julien on eurosport will have some news in october

• Advertisement

Ducati press release confirms stoner will race this weekend

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009/09/29/the_long_awaited_ducati_press_release_st.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Looks like there still not exactly sure what was wrong.
    I hope he is better and can get into the mix at the front.

Advertisement