Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turbo Unit Required for Bmw x5 - Advice Please

• 10-08-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

I need to source a turbo unit for a BMW x5 ,

I was Quoted €2300 From the Garage for the Part Inc Vat and i am trying to see if i can beat this Price

Any help appreciated

Neill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

any help would be really appreciated

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote: »

Thanks , Do u know if there is any irish Companies Also?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

www.traynors.co.uk maybe

I don't know about otto (www.otto.ie) or gsf (www.gsfcarparts.com)

kbannon wrote: »
    www.traynors.co.uk maybe

I don't know about otto (www.otto.ie) or gsf (www.gsfcarparts.com)

Thanks for the Info

I am not an expert at this just want to make sure i am ordering the correct one if i do order it , Surely i can beat that price they gave

The Jeep is a 03 x5 3.0L DIESEL E53 Series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Thanks for the Info

I am not an expert at this just want to make sure i am ordering the correct one if i do order it , Surely i can beat that price they gave

The Jeep is a 03 x5 3.0L DIESEL E53 Series

Hold on mate.
    Did you get the car diagnosed by a mechanic as suggested in your previous post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just ellaborate on the qoute, is it the part only? Or fitting too? Is it a new part? Recon? Broken from a vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Try Tom Cooney in Portlaoise, think its 087 2512218, hey will have one on the shelf, you will need all the numbers off the existing unit, price will be well under what you're quoting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

www.fyfesdirect.co.uk
    They are based in newry!We in the trade use them every day!:D

mick.fr wrote: »
    Hold on mate.
    Did you get the car diagnosed by a mechanic as suggested in your previous post?

Yes Turbo Charger went Bang

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just ellaborate on the qoute, is it the part only? Or fitting too? Is it a new part? Recon? Broken from a vehicle?

Total Bill will be €2950 Including Fitting of the Turbo and the Exhaust will need blowing out with the Oil that was Burnt off .also need to Flush out the oil and Condenser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes Turbo Charger went Bang

...they usually need help to go BANG - you need to determine that before you fork out for another one........

...mind you, would have been cheaper to buy a petrol one at that rate........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

When was the last oil change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I hope you realise you are being rapped for a turbo change @ 3k mate.
    for 3k you can get a complete refurbished engine, including turbo.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-X5-3-0-TURBO-DIESEL-E53-2003-2007-ENGINE-SUPPLY-FIT_W0QQitemZ120456312258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_localservices_car_vehicle_GL?hash=item1c0bc175c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A turbo from a breaker with a warranty will probably be around 200-400 quids.
    Let say 2-3 hours fitting, you end up at 600 quids top.

Anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

bmw 3.0 turbo's are widely known to let go if the inlet manifold breather filter not changed and circa 50k the inlet manifold and egr not de coked....they cake up with carbon if not cleaned....a filthy job. result of not preventative maint is back pressure over time on the turbo and bang.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Interesting thread, OP make sure you update us with the full price you end up paying, at the moment we have a circa 2.3k difference from top to bottom price wise (almost 400%:confused:). That only happens in this country!

mick.fr wrote: »
    I hope you realise you are being rapped for a turbo change @ 3k mate.
    for 3k you can get a complete refurbished engine, including turbo.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-X5-3-0-TURBO-DIESEL-E53-2003-2007-ENGINE-SUPPLY-FIT_W0QQitemZ120456312258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_localservices_car_vehicle_GL?hash=item1c0bc175c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

A turbo from a breaker with a warranty will probably be around 200-400 quids.
    Let say 2-3 hours fitting, you end up at 600 quids top.

Anyways...

They are Charging me for 12 Hours Work ? Thats the Turbo Change and all the rest that comes with it that i dont know.

I am still sourcing at the moment . They have said that if i can get that part that they will fit it but wont Guarantee if it is not an original

Crosshair wrote: »
    Try Tom Cooney in Portlaoise, think its 087 2512218, hey will have one on the shelf, you will need all the numbers off the existing unit, price will be well under what you're quoting.

Lovely Man called him there baffled by how i got his number on teh internet
    lol

Quoted me €900+ Vat for the Part

Bolands Waterford - Same Part €1900+ Vat

Traynors Belfast - £300 Second Hand (None in Stock)

No wonder Car Garage like BMW are struggling they deserve to go bust ripping off customers like that how can they Charge an extra €1000 for the same gerret Part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Main dealers will always be the dearest option. But then again, and Im open to correction on this, but afaik there is a 24 month warranty with part sales through BMW.

The man you rang - his price is competetive, but did he ellaborate on the part? Is it used/overhauled/broken from an existing car? Warranty on it? Im simply saying that before you go ahead and purchase a critical part like a turbo unit, then have it physically installed in the car - be sure the same thing isnt going to happen again in 5/6 months time. Verify its the correct turbo, verify its past usage if any, do you gave a warranty with it, will the garage warrant labour if it fails again?

For what you would have saved, you could have to do the whole thing again - particularly if the garage wont warrant the self supplied part if it fais to be genuine. Just be sure to be certain, before you dive in to what sounds like a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

BMW don’t make the Turbos they fit. The unit the OP has sourced from Portlaoise will be a new unit that is identical to the one a dealer would supply except it wil not come in a BMW box.

I would be amazed if any garage would give the OP a warranty on a part they did not supply. Why would they?

The labour price the OP got seems pretty good too. There is a lot of work involved in this job.

• Advertisement

Useless Factoid: Garrett turbo's, or parts thereof, are made in Waterford.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

False economy to fit 2nd hand or reconned turbos to BMW's, not sure if its still the case but BMW had an agreement with Garrett not to supply turbos to the aftermarket(common with manufacturers to have this kind of agreement for the first few years of a models life) and that the units been sold by parts/turbo dealers were in fact the returned surcharged units reconned by a company contracted to garrett to overhaul them.

False economy to fit 2nd hand or reconned turbos to BMW's, not sure if its still the case but BMW had an agreement with Garrett not to supply turbos to the aftermarket(common with manufacturers to have this kind of agreement for the first few years of a models life) and that the units been sold by parts/turbo dealers were in fact the returned surcharged units reconned by a company contracted to garrett to overhaul them.

That's just a money-thing, it's nothing to do with whether they're good or bad - it's just to keep all the parts going through official channels.....

........which means they can be re-cond (sic).......and still be o.k.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Its a brand thing, an attempt to keep the fitting of certain componants in-house to ensure the fitting of the parts is done in accordance to manufacturers instructions to try and maintain BMW's perceived image of reliability, there is a lot more to fitting a turbo than just taking off the old one and fitting the new one(which is what tends to happen if you bring it to a non-franchised garage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Have you though of getting the Turbo rebuilt as its gotta come out regradless. I have a number of a place that does it. Pm if interested.Got my Turbo for Paj done there and it was perfect.

And no I have no vested interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sent my turbo to Turbo Technics in the UK as the seals were on their way out. They did a total overhaul and went through all details with me on the phone - very impressed with their service

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

Check out Assured Performance. They are in the golden pages. They are good guys and really know their stuff. You will get a brand new turbo there for alot less than the main dealers. I would advise against putting a second hand turbo into a car.

HighMan wrote: »
    Check out Assured Performance. They are in the golden pages. They are good guys and really know their stuff. You will get a brand new turbo there for alot less than the main dealers. I would advise against putting a second hand turbo into a car.

Nice one have it down to €850 now Inc Vat for it with these

Thanks dont think i will beat this

Neill

Advertisement