Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what did you think of the Horse Show this year?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you all thought of the Horse Show this year? Did you enjoy it? What did you think of what was on offer? What was the highlight of the show for you? Did you do much shopping/get good value? For those of you competing, how did you get on?

I enjoyed the show this year, Saturday more so than the Thursday. However, I found the day really dragged out, with the big SJ competitions being held so late in the evening. On Saturday I didn't
    actually wait for the Puissance as I'd been there for the judging of the Championships and was too tired to stay around, so I watched it from the comfort of my sitting room :)

I really enjoyed the showing and really impressed by the one of the lightweight hunter judges' riding (the smaller of the 2 wearing the bowler hat). He really got the best out of every horse, some of which went better for him than the person showing them. It was such a pleasure to watch. It's rare that you get to see such excellent riding.

On the downside, however, I still can't understand why the RDS refuse to organise passes out. Most of the big agricultural shows do it, as do the racecourses, even on the big festival days. I know they're worried about people giving the tickets to someone else, but really in this day and age, something could be organised. It's needed even more with the pay and display parking that's now in existence around the RDS grounds.

Out of interest, did anyone see the Hunt Chase? Who won!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭spooner_src

Hi

Was there on Wednesday for the Large Riding Horse class in Showing and our horse came 3rd so was really happy with that.

Was there over the Friday in the riders stand and pocket area for the main arena. Its really interesting to see the horses and riders up close before they enter the big arena.

The rest of the people in the pocket didnt really care too much on the competition, thats what my impression was.

Parking is crap but got lucky with the parking on the road. Still enjoy the show, would have been there on Saturday and Sunday but didnt get a chance to get in.

All in all a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

I loved it as I was working over in the Grandstand.
    I know this is slightly off topic but does anyone know what was the name of the song they played in Grandstand, while they were changing a jump or something. It was by a girl from ireland i think wicklow or kildare and it had the line " people pass by. flyin so high" I've got the somg stuck in my head and its getting a wee bit annoying as I want to find out who sings it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I was there on the Sunday.

The standard was better at the Hunt Chase than in the last few years. The horses were so willing! I'm not too sure who won it. I went to the conformation lecture and demo, the latter was a short in time.

They don't need to have awful piped music during the show, it just blares out and is noise pollution.

The jumping was good, I watched the first round and then did some shopping during the second. I didn't think there was any mad bargains. I got some stuff I needed and some I wanted. I left it too late to get what I really needed (jod boots) and they were out of my size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Went up on the friday. It was a great day. Really loved it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

was it Wallice Bird from Wexford - the song that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thought the show was very good, from my point of view (working photographer) the days seemed to go on much longer than last year. Didnt get around many of the stands and the food was a bit muck from most places except the D4 diner and the Gourmet Burger stand just inside Simmonscourt.

Lots of good shots too

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

the showing and SJ classes are very good!

trade stand are ok.. not great bagrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I went up everyday except Saturday and I thought it was good this year. I didn't see much international SJ due to all the people I knew who were showing.

I agree with the OP about the judges of the Light Weight hunters my friend came 6th in the class for 6-10 geldings. But I found the judges of the Ladies' Hunters quite poor actually.

The Hunt Chase was good on the Sunday.

I dunno if anyone here watches the Riding Club National Championships late on a Sunday but compared to previous years the standard was quite poor, how some teams qualified from their region was beyond me. Not to mention how easy the course was, I know it is only Riding Clubs but the course was way too easy. Not even a water tray in sight.

The food is never amazing but was alright.

For the first year ever I didn't buy anything, I just didn't seem to need any equestrian equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Kournikova wrote: »
    I agree with the OP about the judges of the Light Weight hunters my friend came 6th in the class for 6-10 geldings. But I found the judges of the Ladies' Hunters quite poor actually.

That's a pity because if done well it can be a really good class to watch.

Was there on Wednesday for the Large Riding Horse class in Showing and our horse came 3rd so was really happy with that.

That's great! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Had a great week at it, spent most of the time out in the Simmonscourt - from early morning till late nite!! Jumping was good overall, international and national, however i was disappointed with the 4 year old final. The only decent horse in it was the winner, but there was 2 other horses in it that i dunno how they got through to it, they certainly were far from ticking all the boxes and really were poor overall. other than that, not much changes in the rds - everything is over-priced - food, drink etc and the stewards/staff as rude and unhelpful as always! I still enjoyed the week though besides!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I enjoyed it lots :)

Went for the Saturday, the puissance was very exciting!
    I managed to pick up some its for my pony at good prices.

However, the hunt chase wasnt on tv :( or at least not that i know of.

Also, i got some pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/30489859@N05/sets/72157621888864491/

MDFM wrote: »
    Had a great week at it, spent most of the time out in the Simmonscourt - from early morning till late nite!! Jumping was good overall, international and national, however i was disappointed with the 4 year old final. The only decent horse in it was the winner, but there was 2 other horses in it that i dunno how they got through to it, they certainly were far from ticking all the boxes and really were poor overall. other than that, not much changes in the rds - everything is over-priced - food, drink etc and the stewards/staff as rude and unhelpful as always! I still enjoyed the week though besides!:)

I heard the standard in the 4yo was dreadful.

Also RTÉ's coverage really annoys me, I watched Hickstead on Sky Sports a few weeks back and they showed tons of classes, RTÉ don't bother showing much more than a handful of international classes, I know they aren't a sports channel like Sky but they showed that ridiculous Confederations Cup which Ireland didn't even have a team in while it was show in the UK on ITV4 or something.

I also doubt showing more classes would interrupt any of RTÉ's quality :rolleyes: day time programming anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

So true, I pay my license fee to watch soccer/gaa anytime there is a chance too :(
    I heard the standard in the 4yo was dreadful.

Also RTÉ's coverage really annoys me, I watched Hickstead on Sky Sports a few weeks back and they showed tons of classes, RTÉ don't bother showing much more than a handful of international classes, I know they aren't a sports channel like Sky but they showed that ridiculous Confederations Cup which Ireland didn't even have a team in while it was show in the UK on ITV4 or something.

I also doubt showing more classes would interrupt any of RTÉ's quality :rolleyes: day time programming anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Was in on Thursday for overall browse and shop love the showjumping but not a fan of showing classes in any big way.

Watched the final of the 3 year old loose school and the winner was obvious always with that type of class.

Watched the 4 year old final in detail and I'm not so quick to condemn the horses at all. Though I do agree the overall standard was low but perhaps 100's of top class 4yo were at home being brought on at a better pace. I really liked the lucy lux horse. I have a problem with the class and fully believe it would be better fitted to 5 year olds and loose school 4yo. Maybe we'd see them all in a truer light. But I know I'm in the minority.

Breaking it down its a huge ask of a green horse topped by being ridden round a strong course in anxious and dramatic circumstances by strangers and I am no fan of the Doyle school of riding it would take a very cool customer to accept Edward in 10mins flat.

I always love it but it strips me of money I've a big family 54 euro in every day 13 euro per seat to watch jumping and then expensive rubbish to eat. OUch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

needadvice wrote: »
    Was in on Thursday for overall browse and shop love the showjumping but not a fan of showing classes in any big way.

Watched the final of the 3 year old loose school and the winner was obvious always with that type of class.

Watched the 4 year old final in detail and I'm not so quick to condemn the horses at all. Though I do agree the overall standard was low but perhaps 100's of top class 4yo were at home being brought on at a better pace. I really liked the lucy lux horse. I have a problem with the class and fully believe it would be better fitted to 5 year olds and loose school 4yo. Maybe we'd see them all in a truer light. But I know I'm in the minority.

Breaking it down its a huge ask of a green horse topped by being ridden round a strong course in anxious and dramatic circumstances by strangers and I am no fan of the Doyle school of riding it would take a very cool customer to accept Edward in 10mins flat.

I always love it but it strips me of money I've a big family 54 euro in every day 13 euro per seat to watch jumping and then expensive rubbish to eat. OUch.[/quote

Well said..he made a 'few' little hiccups along the way! I liked Darragh's style of riding, he was sympathic to the horses and gave them as much chance as he could.
    I think that there were a few better horses earlier on in the week that deserved a spot in the final, but that said, the top 3 placings were well deserved.

Yeah while darragh lacks style I wouldn't cringe at the thought of him on a horse of mine but the other.........:(;) Anyway. I didn't see the qualifiers unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I went up everyday except Saturday and I thought it was good this year. I didn't see much international SJ due to all the people I knew who were showing.

Why? I find Jo Bates a very good rider? I thought they did a good job (and not just because I came 2nd! :D )

I thought it was a mixed show. Disappointed with some of the security levels there, but in general the classes were quite well subscribed and the judges on the whole were great - Guy Landau being a case in point. Although his riding style was unorthodox, he got a great tune out of every horse and really galloped.
    PLus the fact that I brought home a good haul of rosettes including a Working Hunter first and Reserve Champ might have me seeing it in a rosier light!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

Wish i could have gone, spent my time watching it yelling at the TV :rolleyes:

The horse that had been slashed in its stable, has there been any news on that? Damn RTE shows nothing really. :D

AvAv wrote: »

The horse that had been slashed in its stable, has there been any news on that? Damn RTE shows nothing really. :D

No, nothing on it that I saw. There was a brief article in last week's Field which says that an investigation was ongoing. I'm sure there'll be something in next week's Field about it.

• Advertisement

napoles wrote: »
    Why? I find Jo Bates a very good rider? I thought they did a good job (and not just because I came 2nd! :D )

I thought it was a mixed show. Disappointed with some of the security levels there

That's the one thing that I'd be concerned about when bringing a horse to the show. I have one that I had been thinking of putting in the racehorse class, but with work, etc. I didn't manage to.... Maybe next year...

In what way did you find security levels poor? (Apart from the fact that a horse was apparently slashed in his stable and two horses were almost stolen). I'm just curious if I do decide to bring my horse next year...

Do the owners keep the passport for the duration of the show or has it to be submitted to the organisers for the week (which eventers have to do at big eventing competitions?) Are there any measures that owners are able to take to help prevent potential theft/interference with horses? Is it the case that nobody has access to horses between certain times at night?

(sorry - a bit off topic, but I've only ever had experience of racing whereby we never leave a horse unattended, even for 5 minutes.)

AvAv wrote: »

He's going to be fine thank God. He went on to win Supreme Champion hunter, which was fantastic.

If the security levels had been tighter that "alleged" incident would not have happened.
    No, the owners keep the passports, but all horses are issued with a headcoller number that they must retain for the duration of the show and can only exit the show by giving up those numbers. However, when we were leaving on the Sunday nobody asked us for the numbers, which was pretty bad considering all of the issues from earlier in the week.

I would feel very mixed about bringing a horse up again and I have been competing horses up there every year for many years.

Some people padlock their horses' stable doors, but I would be too worried about what would happen if the horse got into difficulty or there was a fire or something and nobody around with a key/ combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AvAv

He's going to be fine thank God. He went on to win Supreme Champion hunter, which was fantastic.

So good to hear it!!

Not meaning to offend, but how can the people who run the Horse Show let something like this happen? :(

convert wrote: »

Do the owners keep the passport for the duration of the show or has it to be submitted to the organisers for the week (which eventers have to do at big eventing competitions?) Are there any measures that owners are able to take to help prevent potential theft/interference with horses? Is it the case that nobody has access to horses between certain times at night?

(sorry - a bit off topic, but I've only ever had experience of racing whereby we never leave a horse unattended, even for 5 minutes.)

Yes all stabling areas are locked after 9pm and nobody is permitted to enter.

It is difficult to steal a horse because you have a pass thing that you keep which must be given at the gate when removing a horse from the showgrounds, since all horses enter through Simmonscourt the security is pretty tight.

However it would be very difficult to stop a horse being attacked without have 24 hour security on each horse.

In the Old Lightweight Geldings the previous Champion from 2 years was padlocked in, but was DSQd in the middle of the class due to either a whistle or lameness, but I didn't notice lameness but someone said they heard breathing problems it was rather dramatic.

Yes all stabling areas are locked after 9pm and nobody is permitted to enter.

Actually no, that's not true - anyone with a pass can enter at any time. I always check my horses after dinner up there, so any time around 11 or 12 midnight. Was closer to 1am one night.

In the Old Lightweight Geldings the previous Champion from 2 years was padlocked in, but was DSQd in the middle of the class due to either a whistle or lameness, but I didn't notice lameness but someone said they heard breathing problems it was rather dramatic.

Was that Lorenzo? I thought I saw him in the ring initially, but when I went to 'find' him in the class later on, I didn't see him. If it was, I didn't notice any lameness either (I'm normally pretty quick to spot even the slightest uneven step). Can't say I heard any major breathing problems either, but if he was given the gate, I'm pretty sure it was for something serious. I know there was one horse who was sent out after it wouldn't let the judge mount during the class.

Yes Lorenzo, he was padlocked and all because my friend was in that class and stabled next to him.

My friend said she couldn't enter the stables after 9pm. Thats just what I understood to be the rule.

With top showjumpers it isn't very secure to allow anyone wander around at night.

PLus the fact that I brought home a good haul of rosettes including a Working Hunter first and Reserve Champ might have me seeing it in a rosier light!!

Belated congratulations on your haul of rosettes!!! :)

Napoles thats a great week which horses what breeding and what did they win very exciting.

Delighted to hear slashed horse won they didn't do their horrible deed sufficiently thank god. I've heard of grooms sitting all night with horses in all disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

needadvice wrote: »
    Delighted to hear slashed horse won they didn't do their horrible deed sufficiently thank god. I've heard of grooms sitting all night with horses in all disciplines.

+1
    Sadly, it's very difficult to protect against something like that happening if someone with access is intent. I'm not surprised that competition horses are accompanied all the time - think how easy it would be to slip an unattended horse a banned substance if one was so inclined :mad:

Advertisement