Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pin bent in card reader of EOS400D

• 10-08-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi, somehow when I was inserting a compact flash card back into an EOS400D, one of the pins in the card reader has been flattened. I can clearly see the flattened pin, right in the middle of the reader.

When I try to use the camera now it says there is a problem with the card.

Does anyone know somewhere in Cork that could repair this? It should be just a matter of straightening the pin, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If you try to straighten the pin yourself, you may break it.

No idea about camera repairs in Cork, but probably your best bet (although not cheap) would be to send it to the Canon Service centre in the UK. Details available on the Canon website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

Paulw wrote: »
    If you try to straighten the pin yourself, you may break it.

That's my worry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have straightened pins on CF Card readers at work when they get bent. It's about 50/50 if it works or if it snaps. A Card Reader is cheap to replace though.

I doubt if a Repair Centre would straighten a pin as they would no be able to warranty that repair. They will open it up & replace the socket. If you are good with tools then you could have a crack at it. I use some really fine needle point plyers. If the pin does snap off then you are still in the same situation of having to get it repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭515

It's probably more 25/75 for me... will probably leave it for a professional. Thanks all for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

would probably try do it myself, but can understand you not wanting to risk it, those sort of pins can usually be bent back carefully, but will break if they get bent a second or third time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have that very same problem.

Camera Care
    24, Dame Street
    Dublin 2 Phone 01-6778100

Have been recommended to me. They are a very reputable company from what I here. The 400d is my back up and at the moment I dont have the money to get it done but will in the next week or 2.

Canon I believe would charge €170 just to look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Well if you're going to send it for repairs anyway, and theyll need to replace it to give you any sort of warranty on it, you've nothing to lose by trying yourself. Just be very very careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

This happened to my 350D stuck a pin in there and pushed it back into place, worked a treat.

They would probably charge you the same amount to fix it if the pin was fully snapped off..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement