Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray cat

Options
  • 10-08-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

A lovely cat has been hanging around my house for days now and I have a feeling it is stray. It is missing half of it's tail and it is very frightened of people. Every time I try to get near it to check its condition it runs off if I get within 5 metres of it. I got a bit further with her today when I had some food for it. Although I did have to throw it infront of me and walk away across the garden for it to come near it. Any advice on how to gain it's trust and coax it nearer to me? I am a bit worried about it as it is very thin,no collar on it and the tail situation.It appears to be living in the bushes around the house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Figure out what you're going to do with it if you DO catch it - e.g. make it a pet, pay for its vets bills, or hand it off to the pound etc. That's just for your own sanity.

Then continue as you're doing - use food, a calm voice, a sweet tone, and let it come to you.

It may take weeks - but never reach for it. Only ever touch it when you get to the point where it's rubbing off your knees, and then only stroke it. You'll get there. So will it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Figure out what you're going to do with it if you DO catch it - e.g. make it a pet, pay for its vets bills, or hand it off to the pound etc. That's just for your own sanity.

Then continue as you're doing - use food, a calm voice, a sweet tone, and let it come to you.

It may take weeks - but never reach for it. Only ever touch it when you get to the point where it's rubbing off your knees, and then only stroke it. You'll get there. So will it. :)

Well i had three cats before so I know a bit about them.They were outdoor cats so I would probably keep it the way I had them.Just feed it everyday and keep an eye on it. Il take it to the vet to get it checked out and probably stick a collar on it. It is so nervous it probably would have to live outside anyway as it has been doing so id say for so long. It is gorgeous though.I would say someone owned it at some stage and it ran off.

If I catch it I will probably put signs up around the area to see if anyone has lost it.

Advertisement