Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you beep people who fall asleep at the lights?

• 10-08-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hope this is in the right forum. If not, mods please move.

ok first of all, I know you're only supposed to use your horn to warn other road users of a potential accident or hazard, but....

The other day I was stopped at a red light behind one other car at a T-junction. The lights went green. He didn't notice. I waited for a few seconds, but he was clearly gawking out the passenger window, not paying attention to the lights at all. So i beeped him. It was only a tiny beep. Nothing aggressive. There was no point flashing my lights because it was a really sunny day and I don't think he would have noticed.

Instantly, he lost the plot! He gave me the finger, and started eyeballing me in the rear view mirror and didn't move his car at all. I found his reaction quite amusing really but i was also a bit shocked. I gestured towards the lights and said something like "They're green for f**k sake, c'mon" and gestured a bit more (nothing offensive). Eventually he takes off, crawling through the junction and constantly eyeballing me in the mirror.

This is probably the most insane reaction I've ever witnessed on the road. I've been driving well over 10 years and anytime I beep someone who falls asleep at the lights, they usually just take off at the speed of light or wave to apologise etc.

So, do you beep? Or have you encountered any other similar nutbags asleep at the lights?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think not beeping is a little unfair to the people behind one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Yes I beep. Did it today actually on my way to work this morning. It's easily done when sitting at a set of unfamiliar lights but there's nothing wrong with giving someone a little beep to get moving when the lights have been green for a few seconds. Most people just move off as you say. Guy sounds like a twat tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'll beep after a few seconds usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I have on a few occasions started daydreaming at the lights and had someone beep me. I'm quite an agressive person normally but I sure don't get annoyed at that. I put my thumb up in apology and thanks and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Of course i beep, most people do.

Thats just a situation of road rage going on right there. Whenever i beep someone, they usually just wave and acknowledge their mistake, most drivers have not noticed a light change colour at one stage or another anyway...

Plus the horn is there to get other drivers attention, which it did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

OP you should have told him he's a beep and a beep and you love to stick it up his beepin beep ...................sorry...sorry :D

Saab Ed wrote: »
    OP you should have told him he's a beep and a beep and you love to stick it up his beepin beep ...................sorry...sorry :D
    beep off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yes i beeb after about 5 seconds, just a little beep beep as if your saying hello to somebody.

if anybody reacts like the OP's situation and there eyeballing me i usually just try put on the cheesy grin i can or pick my nose to annoy them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Culprit no. 1 -

Toyota_Corolla_Helsinki.jpg

Culprit no. 2 -

nissan-micra-98-f3q-st.jpg

And finally, no. 3, too busy on his Blackberry -

bmw3series06.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And finally, no. 3, too busy on his Blackberry -

bmw3series06.jpg

i resent that last statement....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

kceire wrote: »
    yes i beeb after about 5 seconds, just a little beep beep as if your saying hello to somebody.:D

5 SECS ffs...thats possibly 10 cars not getting through the lights next time....2 secs max for me ...then i start pushing.....:p

Had to beep someone on the way home, not at lights but at a small roundabout. They missed at least 3 opportunities to pull out because they were too busy messing with their phone.

Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes - but only when they clearly need it, and never intentionally at a learner driver.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would only resort to beeping if shouting didn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

dudara wrote: »
    Yes - but only when they clearly need it, and never intentionally at a learner driver.
    I always feel awful if I beep someone then to realize they're a learner! The look of sheer panic on their face! I always give my most timid wave to them as my way of saying I didn't notice they were a learner!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

to be honest i dont beep at learners becuase we all had to learn somewhere.

I do beep if someone is very slow .. but its happened to me once or twice i've been in day dream land and been the recipent of the old beep beep always just wave to say sorry and go on about my business

OP your man obviously had a bit of an attitude problem or small man syndrome !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The people that would get aggressive towards a polite beep like that are the very same people who beep within 1 second of the light turning green just to be assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I always feel awful if I beep someone then to realize they're a learner! The look of sheer panic on their face! I always give my most timid wave to them as my way of saying I didn't notice they were a learner!!!

This happens a lot then ....???? maybe the red "L" on the back of the car might help you next time,unless you're too busy on the phone to notice...;)

I would never beeb at a learner..its just not on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 _o_

Hope this is in the right forum. If not, mods please move.

ok first of all, I know you're only supposed to use your horn to warn other road users of a potential accident or hazard, but....

The other day I was stopped at a red light behind one other car at a T-junction. The lights went green. He didn't notice. I waited for a few seconds, but he was clearly gawking out the passenger window, not paying attention to the lights at all. So i beeped him. It was only a tiny beep. Nothing aggressive. There was no point flashing my lights because it was a really sunny day and I don't think he would have noticed.

Instantly, he lost the plot! He gave me the finger, and started eyeballing me in the rear view mirror and didn't move his car at all. I found his reaction quite amusing really but i was also a bit shocked. I gestured towards the lights and said something like "They're green for f**k sake, c'mon" and gestured a bit more (nothing offensive). Eventually he takes off, crawling through the junction and constantly eyeballing me in the mirror.

This is probably the most insane reaction I've ever witnessed on the road. I've been driving well over 10 years and anytime I beep someone who falls asleep at the lights, they usually just take off at the speed of light or wave to apologise etc.

So, do you beep? Or have you encountered any other similar nutbags asleep at the lights?

One gentle beeps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Needs a poll, but yes.. I'll wait a few seconds then beep if still no movement.

• Advertisement

Sids Not wrote: »
    This happens a lot then ....???? maybe the red "L" on the back of the car might help you next time,unless you're too busy on the phone to notice...;)

I would never beeb at a learner..its just not on..
    Only happened once, I don't go round hunting for Learners, chill! Only used the word always to show how bad I felt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I beep if the person in front hasnt moved for a few seconds.
    When i've been in other countries drivers beep if you don't move off within literally a second and it's an acceptable thing to do.
    With some people in Ireland if you beep them they are eyeballing you for as long as your behind them. What I am supposed to do? Sit there while they enjoy there day dream?
    It can be infuriating when the lights turn green and the driver a few car's up sit's there for a few second's while the light's are green, eventually they move off and the light's turn red, and you know if they had'nt been day dreaming you would of made it through the light's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Doolittle51

yes i beeb after about 5 seconds, just a little beep beep as if your saying hello to somebody.

if anybody reacts like the OP's situation and there eyeballing me i usually just try put on the cheesy grin i can or pick my nose to annoy them :D

Never thought of that! Next time someone eyeballs me i'm gonna start picking my nose :D

Glad to hear everyone is in favour of a little beeping! The guy in front of me the other day was obviously just an as*hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Yup give em a few seconds and then just a little tap on the horn to rouse their attention a lil.. I have been beeped before for being unaware of the light.. It's not a problem me thinks. I can see this heading the way certain light and motorway threads not to be named go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

You should really beep before the lights change, That way you make sure there awake and don't waste any time when they do change....

SC024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I give a few seconds and then beep. It can be very annoying if someone is slow taking off from lights that don't stay green long, there a few lights in particular in Kilkenny where only one car will get through if the first driver is slow taking off.

Its not that hard to keep an eye on the opposite set of lights, wait for them to turn amber and then put your car in gear a couple of seconds before moving.

Don't know what the guy in the OPs post was thinking, I'd be embarrassed to be beeped at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭walzer

I beep but make sure it's a very short beep - a polite one. At first anyway, if that doesn't work then it becomes a slightly more aggressive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Blast the horn in a really aggressive manner when you are the third car in line. Gives you a front row seat for the following road rage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Blast the horn in a really aggressive manner when you are the third car in line. Gives you a front row seat for the following road rage :)

I see this a good bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

yes i beeb after about 5 seconds
    I give them 10 seconds, but check to see if there's some reason, for example an elderly person crossing slowly. And then only one very short beep.
    just a little beep beep as if your saying hello to somebody.
    I really hate this practice, it's very inconsiderate. That & the 'beep' when you're waving goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bonus points if the car in front is a taxi! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I give them 10 seconds, but check to see if there's some reason, for example an elderly person crossing slowly. And then only one very short beep.

I really hate this practice, it's very inconsiderate. That & the 'beep' when you're waving goodbye.

10 seconds!! You obviously don't drive around Dublin much. After 10-15 seconds the sequence changes on lots of lights! You are speaking like a know it all or something. Looking down upon us people who just give a short beep to get the drivers attention. Just because everyone hasn't mentioned they check their mirrors, everything around them and everything on front of the car on front it doesn't mean they don't.

"very inconsiderate" oh god.. you are not a member of the green party are you? :D It's just a short little half beep. Everyone knows the one and it's something most people would associate with a car getting someones attention. And naturally it works! I always look towards that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

What if the person accidently stalled when pulling away?
    Some people may not notice that and beeping would likely be very irritating and distracting for the driver when they're trying to get going again.
    There are a lot of different scenarios so who knows what the answer to the OPs question should be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Sids Not wrote: »
    5 SECS ffs...thats possibly 10 cars not getting through the lights next time....2 secs max for me ...then i start pushing.....:p
    You poo your pants intentionally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Yes I beep and have to say it would be roughly at the 5 sec mark or earlier if there not even looking. Remember if they haven't noticed the lights change then it doesn't really matter whether you wait 1-2-5-10 seconds as they don't know when it changed;)

In Manhattan as soon as the lights go green they beep. I love sitting at the lights and as soon as they go green I'm gone and the beep is barely heard.:D as I'm sitting at the next lights.

• Advertisement

"very inconsiderate" oh god.. you are not a member of the green party are you? :D It's just a short little half beep. Everyone knows the one and it's something most people would associate with a car getting someones attention. And naturally it works! I always look towards that car.
    Since when do you have to be a green to have good manners & care about others? Beeping your horn and disturbing a whole neighbourhood every time you see someone you know is just plain ignorant.

Since when do you have to be a green to have good manners & care about others? Beeping your horn and disturbing a whole neighbourhood every time you see someone you know is just plain ignorant.
    Oh here we go...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just a wee tap, my car has a fairly effete horn so it doesn't even sound that agressive!

I'd prefer it if people did it sooner, I've been the driver at the top of the queue once or twice before (Tallaght with its approaching artworks of light installations, missing a filter appearing or similar) and nobodies done it, causing me to waste half a sequence for an entire queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

I confess I beep too! But it's really just a "bip" rather than an "beep" and definitly not a "BEEEEEEEEP!" except once when the horn got stuck. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Slightly Off-Topic but a friend of mine had a habit of calling people on the phone when they were in his way! Picture sitting in traffic behind the car who is behind the small builder Trooper / Pajero type with their contact details all over the spare wheel (not so much of them around these days mind you, builders in jeeps that is not spare wheels!). Anyhow he would call said builder / various service provider on his phone (handsfree of course!) and give driver of said vehicle some 'lackery' about holding up the traffic and wait to see the reaction in front of him. Very childish I know but also a very amusing way of spending the evening commute out of the city! Certainly more entertaining than beeping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

climbs_on_high_horse/

you are not allowed to use the horn unless

warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/using-a-horn.html

/climbs_on_high_horse

yes please beep them when I'm behind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Slightly Off-Topic but a friend of mine had a habit of calling people on the phone when they were in his way! Picture sitting in traffic behind the car who is behind the small builder Trooper / Pajero type with their contact details all over the spare wheel (not so much of them around these days mind you, builders in jeeps that is not spare wheels!). Anyhow he would call said builder / various service provider on his phone (handsfree of course!) and give driver of said vehicle some 'lackery' about holding up the traffic and wait to see the reaction in front of him. Very childish I know but also a very amusing way of spending the evening commute out of the city! Certainly more entertaining than beeping!

A different approach alright, could end up with you in some bother though!! I cant imagine all of them would take it as a laugh!!

Back to topic though nothing wrong with giving people a beep to wake them up, I've done it countless times and never had a reaction like the OP received! Generally just get a wave in apology and then watch them take off! Occasionally they can cut out the car and you miss the lights altogether though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I give about 4-5 seconds before a polite little beep. Only when I'm the second car in the queue. I think it's up to the person directly behind the daydreamer to give them a gentle reminder to go.
    It's no big deal to get a little beep. Somebody standing on the horn is a different story.

What if the person accidently stalled when pulling away?

Yes, but to recover from a stall is 2-4 seconds, clutch in, start engine and go. The car behind should also be able to recognize from the shuddering that it's stalled and give you a chance to recover.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

+1. I live near an entrance to apartments (about 150 of them) and people are constantly geing dropped off. And instead of just saying "see ye tomorrow" or whatever, they have to fecken well beep too. And what's worse, it's a cul de sac, so the car always goes to the end-100m from the drop off point-turns around and drives back, and beeps again as they drive past the person they just dropped off! Every 5 minutes this happens, right below my balcony!
    I'm keeping a pile of bricks out there now, and lobbing a brick at anyone who does it in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

road-rage-hypermiling-002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

kbannon wrote: »
    I would only resort to beeping if shouting didn't work!

"wake up sweetheart!!!"

BEEP BEEP

"come on ye stupih cnut"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

For those who think it's inconsiderate to beep at the lights, you wouldn't like this......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'll generally give a double tap on the horn after a few seconds, unless there's an L-plate on view.

The ones who annoy me are the ones who beep you when you're stopped at a red filter light (you're in the right hand lane turning right, and the right filter is red, but the straight on light is green); I find that it's mainly young female drivers in Audi A3's and BMW 318's who do this the most. They don't like it when you point to the RED light and look back at them with a "you're a retard" look on your face (apologies to any retards out there for the comparison).

I want one of those train horns; I could do with it for the unlit cyclist, cyclists with no reflectors, cyclists cycling on the outside of the lane of stopped traffic, cyclists who cut across the front of moving cars, cyclist with only one hand on the handlebar, cyclist swerving all over the place while they listen to their ipods, cyclist hold up a lane on the dual carriageway when there's a perfectly surfaces cycle lane beside them, cyclist coming the wrong way down one way streets, cars with only one light, cars who pull out fast and slow down to 10mph, cars with their fogs on, pedestrians who walk out in front of traffic without looking, and equally stupid people to those listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

Two cheeky beeps to make sure they are still awake usually does it. Love seeing their reactions in the mirror aswell.

Fey! wrote: »
    The ones who annoy me are the ones who beep you when you're stopped at a red filter light (you're in the right hand lane turning right, and the right filter is red, but the straight on light is green)
    Was in that situation today at the Clontarf Road. Stopped behind two cars at the (red) right/hand filter. Silver van ('wall.tv') comes up behind me, swerves into the left-hand lane, passes and then cuts across the front of the stopped cars and then continues on right through the red filter and a pedestrian crossing on green. Not one of the drivers honked.
    Fey! wrote: »
    I want one of those train horns; I could do with it for t... cyclist, cyclists ...cyclists.. cycling... cyclists .., cyclist...... cyclist... cyclist ... cyclist ...cars .., cars ... ...pedestrians
    Based on all the law-breaking I see, (many of them motoring offences that you don't find worth a mention, it appears) maybe just keep the horn on all the time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement