Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel Small Family Car

• 10-08-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's time to ditch the current car (Alfa 147) in the next few months. Would like to replace it with something about the same size, diesel, and not too common.
    What are your thoughts on these?
    I've included all the cars I think in this class. There are some I don't think I would go near (1 series, A class, Korean cars), but I'm open to suggestion.
    Out of the limited research I've done, I quite like the Leon TDI, and Civic 2.2 CDTi (pretty rare/ expensive).
    Any other recommendations?

Alfa Romeo 147
    Audi A3
    BMW 1 series
    Chevrolet/ Daewoo Lacetti
    Citroen C4
    Fiat Bravo
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    Hyundai i30
    Kia Cee'd
    Mazda 3
    Mercedes Benz A Class
    Nissan Tiida
    Opel Astra
    Peugeot 308
    Renault Megane
    SEAT Leon
    Skoda Octavia
    Suzuki Baleno
    Toyota Auris
    Volkswagen Golf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

the best Leon/Golf/Octavia/a3 is the 2.0 tdi, the civic is a great car but its got really bad road noise and you really can hear the suspension working, the Focus is coming to the end of its life but is still a good buy. If you can wait there 147 replacement is due soon enough but it doesn't look great from the pictures. Might be better in the flesh. Alternatively you could try the new bravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

add the Subaru Impreza diesel to your list if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks guys!

The VAG cars are really common (probably for a good reason), so out of the 4 I think I'd only be interested in the Leon. Haven't seen any of them in 2.0 TDI.
    I should have mentioned that I'm not buying new though, so the new 147 is out of the question. Actually I don't think I'd get it even if it was an option - I love my current car, but don't want to go through all the pain again!
    Focus too is common as muck (but probably a great car too).

Any other opinions on any of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

suzuki sx4 1.6l tdi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I drive a 1.6L diesel Focus and, after a week driving around the Burren and scenic Kerry, can't recommend it highly enough. You're right that they are very common though (best selling car in ireland actually).

• Advertisement

You'll get a better Leon in the UK to be honest, and a better chance of getting a 2.0 tdi. Great car with that engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

I drive a 1.6L diesel Focus and, after a week driving around the Burren and scenic Kerry, can't recommend it highly enough. You're right that they are very common though (best selling car in ireland actually).

+1 for 1.6L diesel focus.....seriously economical.....
    Can't remember when I last filled it....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

EPM wrote: »
    You'll get a better Leon in the UK to be honest, and a better chance of getting a 2.0 tdi. Great car with that engine

This! A 2.0L TDI Leon is very popular in the UK. Second hand car prices over here are quite strong at the moment but the spec you'll get will likely be better than the equivalent car in Ireland.

Not sure about the Leon but the 2.0L TDI A3 comes in 140 and 170 bhp versions...

I didn't realise the sx4 came in a diesel. It's a wee bit small though.
    Even looking at a few UK sites, the 2.0 Leon isn't really all that common - most sites only have one or two, versus hundreds of 1.9s.
    I do like the Focuses (Foci?), and I do agree with the 1.6 TDCI being extremely economical. If only everyone on the road didn't have one!
    Don't suppose there are any other more uncommon cars I should look into?
    New model Civics seem relatively rare which is why I was considering them.

Ya you can get the 140 in normal Leons but the 170 is available in the FR model. DSG gearbox can be had on the 140, just be sure to get either a stylance or sport spec for some goodies. Sport even uses FR suspension but just lower powered. Interior is identical bar steering wheel and seat colour.

FR

1129445-1.jpg

Sport

1019621-1.jpg

• Advertisement

The Sport model looks great, and with VRT it would just be slightly over budget.
    The FR is lovely, but a bit too much!
    Seems it's almost easier to get an A3 with the 2.0 TDI engine though than a Leon...

the ford focus and the suzuki sx4 has the same fiat engine in them.

paddy2008 wrote: »

Um, I'm not sure the Focus has a Fiat engine. I think perhaps the sx4 has the same engine as the similar-looking car that Fiat make? Can't remember the name of it at the moment...

paddy2008 wrote: »

No they dont. The 1.6 focus diesels are shared with peugeot and citroen. Shares no diesel with fiat and suzuki

lads go check them out the engines are the same!Same filters to.
    I have serviced all three, i could hardly believe it myself!:(

not in a focus they are not. The Fiat sedici and suz sx4 are the same car but thats it

The refined Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI 16V diesel DPF engine accelerates the new shape hatchback car to 62mph in around 10.9 seconds, with 31 - 62mph taking an identical time. The new all alloy diesel powered 1.6TDCI engine is of French origin and has DOHC (twin overhead camshafts) and 16 valves which represents an improvement on the 8 valve 1.8 TDCI diesel engine. Common Rail Fuel Injection is used for improved fuel economy and power output and a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is fitted to meet stringent Euro stage 4 emissions standards.

www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/images/ford_focus

Aren't the 2.0 VAG diesels known for cracking cylinder heads at 70K miles ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Ford C-Max 1.6TDCi. Huge space in them, same good handling as the Focus, and not too common yet. Very economical to run too.

Advertisement