Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folio number for new site in Galway - how long does it take?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

My grandmothers property is being split between a number of relatives (including me), we will therefore be issued new folio number for each plot from the land regisrty office. Does anyone know how long this process will take?
    So far the following have been completed:
    - map drawn for each plot
    - affidavits signed for the transfer of each plot
    - registration paperwrok completed by our solicitor

All new maps are due to go to the land registry for pre-review very soon. Once they are satified with the maps, they then get stamped by revenue dept. (for stamp duty) .. then back to the land regisrty to issue folio numbers.

Does anyone know how long these 3 processes take?
    - land regisrty pre-review
    - getting the stamp duty payment completed
    - issuance of folio number

Also, once you are issued the folio number, does it mean it is legally yours (although it may take them another year to send a copy of the folio & map to you)

We have been told by our solicitor that this will take 2 years .... we are shocked. My gradnmother passed away nealry 20 years ago and it has taken all this time to sort out land, old maps, boundries and to get relevent uncles & aunts to sign affidavits. Some of the people who signed the affidavits are getting on in age (some are in poor health). I'm concerend that if they pass away before the land is registered some other relatives might try to claim the land.

Thanking anyone who can answer any of the above questions ...

J

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

2 years was what it took in the celtic tiger days. I see you have a traditional Irish solicitor on the case too ...the whole process should have taken 5-7 years max ( to ensure there were no challenges to her will mainly) .

Get a new solicitor on the case .

Advertisement