Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake GHD's

Options
  • 10-08-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where to put this so if its in the wrong place mods move it if you must.
    So anyways a few months back I bought a "ghd" from an Irish website that sold second hands good pretty much like adverts.ie but it wasn't on that site.
    I collected it from a house and paid 80 euros for it. The person said it was an unwanted gift so I just presumed they needed the cash and thats why it was being sold at such a low price. So anyways I checked it out before I went and it really did seem genuine. So a few months pass and I find out you can register online? So I decide I would do this because it had came in a sealed box and I taught there may have been a warranty still on it. So I enter the code and it tells me it is invalid. I ring up the customer service number and they tell me it was a copy and not to use it and try to get my money back on it. So i ring up the person I bought if from they act clueless and say they didn't know and wouldn't give me a refund because it had been a couple of months since I had bought it. I told the seller I would go to the authorities but they said that I could and they could have them contact her aswell... So now I'm pretty much gutted over this. I dunno whether I should just leave it and continue using the ghd because it does what I want it to do but there is chipping on it and the ghd sign has rubbed off. Please could anyone help me out here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you have no protection when buying person to person. Caveat Emptor.

If you think that the person is selling them wholesale, then you might want to consider contacting the Gardai and report them for selling counterfeit goods. On the other hand, they may well have been innocent.

For your own sake, I would recommend not using the 'GHD' any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I need a hair straightener and I just don't have the money to fork out for another at this moment I'm really upset like and there is no more on the website from that seller that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Just about the chipping and logo rubbing off. This happens with genuine ones also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yup caveat emptor etc.

Plus to the best of my knowledge they retail new at around the €180 mark so that should have been an indicator that there was something awry, even if it was second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You checked it out, but it came in a sealed box? Did the seller let you break the seal at their house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Yeah well I just took it out of the box checked that everything was there you know

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder how they are so sure yours is the copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

M&S* wrote: »
    I need a hair straightener and I just don't have the money to fork out for another at this moment I'm really upset like and there is no more on the website from that seller that I can see

So you can't use a working hair straightener because there is chipping on it and the logo has rubbed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pretend you never called them to register...
    Up until then you saw it as genuine and it may very well be a genuine GHD.

Just pretend you never called

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bSlick wrote: »
    So you can't use a working hair straightener because there is chipping on it and the logo has rubbed off?
    Pretend you never called them to register...
    Up until then you saw it as genuine and it may very well be a genuine GHD.
    The problem is that it is allegedly a fake. But I did already post that I wondered how they know hers is a fake? usually a fake will have hte same serial or code number printed many times, so they might have gotten lots of people trying to validate the same fake number.

It might be working now but could be dodgy. e.g. I design machines and we discovered a copy of one of my designs on sale, they copied EVERYTHING, lots of stuff that only suited us and would have caused difficulty to them, they did it completely blind and ignorantly. This copied machine is an electrical hazard and should not be on sale, wiring is well below spec and legal safety requirements, it could catch fire etc. I have seen them working fine in shops, I would not leave it plugged in unattended though. Corners can be cut on fakes, esp. on safety aspects where it is easy to appear to have the same function. If fake the parts could be fake too, fake fuses etc.

A fake t-shirt is a whole different ballgame to fake 230V handheld electrical appliances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

rubadub wrote: »
    A fake t-shirt is a whole different ballgame to fake 230V handheld electrical appliances that are designed to heat up parts of the body, are often used in steamy and particulate locations, and are typically used prior to being left unattended..

FYP.

Advertisement