Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trailer for a Yacht with a fixed keel

• 10-08-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I have a yacht with a fixed keel and this year was considering buying a trailer for it, so I can keep it at home during the winter season - save on storage fees and get a chance to work on it over the winter period.

Has anyone got any experience of buying such a trailer? Did you get a custom-made one, or buy "off the shelf"? What kind of money are we talking?

D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

How big is the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dirac

Dyflin wrote: »
    How big is the boat?

Its a 24' with a displacement of around 1900 kg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

Dirac wrote: »
    Its a 24' with a displacement of around 1900 kg.

Nothing beats a purpose built trailer, but a simple, cheap and common practice would be a flat-bed trailer. If the trailer is big enough to accomodate the base of your yacht cradle (if you have one) then there is not much need to go to all the extra expense. You will need to make sure though that the cradle well centred above the axles and is securely fastened to the flat-bed prior to lifting on the yacht. Then strap the yacht itself down to the flat-bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dirac

Unfortunately I don't have a cradle.

Does anyone know where I could go to get a custom-made trrailer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

Dirac wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't have a cradle.

Does anyone know where I could go to get a custom-made trrailer?

If you "google" a trailer for the make and model of you boat chances are there is someone producing them or if you're lucky you might be able to pick up one second hand. The link that Dyflin posted is a good start.
    If not anyone who can weld and knows about yachts can easily take the measurements and angles and convert a flat-bed using tubular steel and a few acrows.

Advertisement