Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unicode Symbols

• 10-08-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi, this is kinda a stupid thread but just something I was wondering about.

I can type Unicode characters by pressing ctrl + shift + u + four digit code.
    e.g. Ctrl - shift -u2764 = ❤ (should be a heart).

A while back I sent an email to a friend with some symbols in the subject line, and they didn't seem to come up on his machine (windows).

So I was wondering do symbols like these typed in linux, can be viewed on a windows machine the same. I'd assume it wouldn't make a difference!

Maybe someone reading under windows could just tell me if they can see these: ◬ ✉ ✪ ⟰.

This was just kinda annoying me a bit, sorry if it's a stupid thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Yes, I can see those 4 symbols.

I would guess the issue is with the application you wrote the email in, or more likely, the application he read it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Thanks, I thought it was strange alright that he couldn't see them. It was gmail that I sent the email in. I'm sure he uses firefox, but maybe he was using IE and that was the problem.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up that little problem for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

It could also be a font issue. Many/most windows PCs don't show this: "⁊", the Irish "agus" symbol. The coverage of fonts has changed in different version of Windows so bman may have newer fonts than your friend.

Ah, that could explain it maybe. Thanks.

Out of curiousity, never knew there was a symbol for "agus", as in "and"? What's the story there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 boars.ie

Keep in mind, that headers are usually encoded different
    way the actual message body and some MUAs have problems
    decoding either. Check if the same unicode chars are visible
    in the message body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

dioltas wrote: »
    Ah, that could explain it maybe. Thanks.

Out of curiousity, never knew there was a symbol for "agus", as in "and"? What's the story there?

It's called a "Tironian Et":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironian_notes
    and is in Unicode's "General Punctuation" section:
    http://www.decodeunicode.org/en/general_punctuation

Thanks, that's interesting.

Never noticed it on the Pay and Display signs, must remember to have a look.

180px-Pay_and_Display_sign_with_Tironian_et_for_Irish_agus.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You'll see it down the gaeltacht as well. Love that symbol. No idea why either. :)

Advertisement