Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer and children !!!

• 10-08-2009 7:21pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    Pc was all mine - nothing to worry about. But recently the young ones want to play on it -cartoon-network, penguin club etc.

Not too bad but came in the other night and the 2 year old got access and had about 12 "do you want to delete" icons on the desktop and I am just waiting for the day it crashes or they click on something !!!!!!:eek:

So, have set up a guest non-admin account for them, but what else can I do.
    what app/net-nanny (free) can I use to allow access to 4 or 5 websites.
    how do I change read/write priv for this guest account ??

any other tips

thanks
    k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Changing icons to intimidating looking things can usually help.

I cant tell you how many years I had been afraid of clicking on the Character Map. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the best nanny is parenting. Programs are all fallable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

k9 and tis free so worth a look.

Tbh overheal nails it in one: best bet is to sit in with your kids when they are on the web. Best option by far.

Case in point: guy I know at work has a 4 year old son, he was looking on youtube with him at videos of rollercoasters, one video that turned up was an animated one where the rollercoaster turns upside down, the people all fall out and they get mowed down by a machine gun!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

uberpixie wrote: »
    Case in point: guy I know at work has a 4 year old son, he was looking on youtube with him at videos of rollercoasters, one video that turned up was an animated one where the rollercoaster turns upside down, the people all fall out and they get mowed down by a machine gun!

have a link - sounds good :D

will look about and see whats there - thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

One easy thing to do would be to change your DNS server to OpenDNS. If you set up an account with them (free) you can block certain categories of web sites. You will also need to install a very small piece of software on your computer to keep [their record of ] your IP address up to date;

won't stop them messing with the icons on your desktop and they will still be able to see "non PG rated" stuff on youtube, google image search etc, but at least it will keep them away from a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

KAGY's reply is perfect, because you can change to OpenDNS then secure your router... kids have a great way of getting by just about anything on the PC itself. Harder to interfere with the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Vista has built in parental controls Which I use and find to be useful. You could also use group policy tolock down the computer...

Frankly I would start by sitting down with the kids a lot online. Then after spending time with them, you can go through the History and whitelist any of the sites you visited together that you felt were safe, and do it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 kuban-83

Hey

1.Don't put much icons of the desktop :D
    2.Click with the right mouse button on the desktop and go to Arrange icns by->switch off "Show desktop icons"
    3.You can change the rights for the hard drives for eveyone if you click with rmb on a harddrive->properties->security. From the administrator account change the security settings to read only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Electrify the keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The little lad in my house just wants to play cartoon network so i set it up as a bookmark in google chrome. He recognises the logo so it's all he ever looks for. No problems yet (touch wood)

• Advertisement

Food for thought: Disney laptop. Parent Mode and Kid Mode. Interesting.

http://gizmodo.com/5340966/now-available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I use a combination of SteadyState to lock down the kids pc and Open DNS for web filtering of pr0n and other nasty stuff.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

http://www.opendns.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Hadnt heard of steadystate till now. Tried it and it screwed up my parental control account. Went back to normal after an uninastall

Looks nifty enough though, reckon your better off using it straight after a clean install.

Advertisement