Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1200 to spend on an i7 build..

Options
  • 10-08-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

So my flatmate has 1200 euro burning in his pocket to spend on a gaming pc, wondering if you fine people could help him spend his money, cause clearly there's nothing you'd like to do more;)

he has bought an ANTEC 1200 already. and there is no need for peripherals or a monitor, which will be bought with seperate money.

he wants i7 cause "its cool" (yes Sol id get the AMD too, but you just cant convert some people, well i cant anyway. is the AMD quad much better?)

it'd be run with W7 64bit.

looking for the GTX295 as part of the package i believe.

if ye dont mind, could you shed some light on what to get?

sound out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

this is what i put together..

clipboard02snr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 _o_

Nice kit.

_o_ wrote: »
    Nice kit.
    thanks!

but would you change anything? anything not adding up or better stuff for less money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well the card is absolutely ridiculous overkill!

What resolution is he gaming at?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If he's adamant about blowing €1200 when half that would suffice then at least he's getting decent kit. Even if that GTX295 makes me want to cringe (sellotape a couple of HD4890s together, OC them a bit and you have a GTX295 beater for ~€305 :P)

At least he won't have any problem with, well, pretty much any application whenever he's not gaming :rolleyes:

And Ultron (bold ftw) is a frickin' cool brandname. No idea who they actually are, but I'm sure Marvel or DC has some right to sue them somehow with a name like that :D

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    If he's adamant about blowing €1200 when half that would suffice then at least he's getting decent kit. Even if that GTX295 makes me want to cringe (sellotape a couple of HD4890s together, OC them a bit and you have a GTX295 beater for ~€305 :P)

At least he won't have any problem with, well, pretty much any application whenever he's not gaming :rolleyes:

And Ultron (bold ftw) is a frickin' cool brandname. No idea who they actually are, but I'm sure Marvel or DC has some right to sue them somehow with a name like that :D
    thanks for the input Solitaire. I think his idea is that it becomes VERY futureproof out the box, and OC'ing when needed to make it even more more futureproof later. i think he's going for some 23 or 24" monitor. ill run by the 4890's by him. anything else you'd change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

6 gb is the sweetspot atm; no reason not to hit get 6 intead of 4gb.

throw in a 3rd party i7 HSF as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Whats the website you were using to price it out of interest?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

'Tis called HWVS in our local brogue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Have you used it much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement