Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT question

Options
  • 10-08-2009 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

lets say (hypothetically) i was in 4th year of my college (starting september), and had one my GAMSAT last march or w/e, and scored above the minimum for like RCSI, and if my last exam is in may and i am supposed to get my result for that exam in june, does that mean that result will also include if i got 1:1 or 2:1? or will i have to wait until spetember (i think) when im handed my certificate on the graduation night? and i think i have to apply to CAO this comming febuary right?, and will CAO automatically know if i got 1:1 or 2:1 etc like in the LC? or do i have to send them my final result?

maybe i should post this on my actully college page, but i would love the input

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

Maybe my head's a bit muddled from study but I had to read your post a few times to figure out what you were asking :pac:

I'm not sure of what the exact process is, but you can apply for graduate medicine next year, and provided you get a 2:1+ in your upcoming finals AND your score from last year's GAMSAT still meets the cutoff you should be good for entry in 2010.

So yes, that means you'll have to apply via the CAO this Feb.

Your GAMSAT score is only valid for 2 years, so if you don't apply or get in next summer (or get into a UK course after that), you might have to sit it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

thanks :P this hypothetical situation is still 3 years away, im planing on preparing for the gamsats next summer, and sit in the UK in september and then if it goes well, fine, if it doesnt i'll keep working and do it in march 2011

but i'll ask in my college thread about when they tell me the grade i got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Echani

Oh right, wasn't entirely sure how much of it was hypothetical. Good luck with it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bioscience

hi, so can u sit the gamsat even if you havent finished your honours degree?? like say ur in 3rd year now, can you sit it and then when u get your result from college, thats when you know if u got in or not?????
    im sooo curious bout the gamsat and wondering is it tough?? and if its easier to get into the grad-entry med course in uk than here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Yeah, you can sit the Gamsat in final year, some people on this board have done it.
    Problem is you have to balance study for Gamsat with study for final year knowing you need both a 2:1 in college and a good Gamsat so I wouldn't like to have had to do it!
    You will get your 2:1 results by what, July? You just send them onto CAO like all applicants do and the offers are out the first week of August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

bioscience wrote: »
    im sooo curious bout the gamsat and wondering is it tough?? and if its easier to get into the grad-entry med course in uk than here?

Yes it is tough - you need to be an all-rounder at bio, chem and physics.
    UK requires Gamsat, interview and probably some work experience to show your dedication so it's a lot tougher I would have thought. Cheaper to do the course though I *think*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Hey Guys...
    If anyone's interested in notes etc for GAMSAT then im selling mine on.
    Full Des O Neill set plus sample questions etc
    Sorry for spamming!
    Good luck with the exams.
    If its any help, i managed to sneak in by starting in December, but looking back i really should have started earlier. These notes were a godsend!

All the best...
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pleo

What wasyour background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Pleo wrote: »
    What wasyour background?
    mechanical engg, lvl 8, did all 3 sciences at LC, lowest was a C3 honours in i think chem or physics cant remember, did honours math etc, im thinking im going to prepare for GAMSAT next summer also maybe a bit in college if the semester isnt too busy, and then january/febuary (i'll be on my work experience) and hopefully sit it in march (i think?) of that year, i would say i wouldnt have any problem with the science stuff, once i know all the notes etc, im just worried about section 2 mostly, comming from engineering background section 1 doesnt seem that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

des o neill notes what do they cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 sarah_anne

also anybody know anything bout those gurumethod notes... there quite expensive but if there good id buy em

Advertisement