Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[TRAVEL ADVICE NEEDED] Re car vs train to from stansted airport.

Options
  • 10-08-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

I;ve managed to get 2 tickets to spurs birmingham. My flight back to dublin isat 7.35pm with ryanair from stansted.

That means i need to be at the airport at 7.05pm according to the ryanair email.

In the past whenever i've done the day trip i rent a car from stansted for £37. The tottenham hale train from what i can tell will cost £49 for 2 people. so car would be cheaper. would i have any problems getting back to stansted for 7pm? whenever ive gone over before i usually have a 9pm flight and get food near the ground as teh crowd clears.

suggestions? ty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You know the journey time, so your only question now is where you'll park and how long it will take you to get onto the motorway. You definitely won't fly out of N17, how long you'll be delayed I'm not sure.

One thing to consider, a day return from Stansted to Northumberland Park will set you back £16...the trick is that you can get the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale then you're supposed to wait for a train back one stop to NP, but you can always duck out the station and walk to WHL if you want (if stopped by a ticket inspector at TH play dumb, or say you're just popping in to get a bottle of water in the shop). We do this all the time.

Have a look at National Rail enquiries for train times, there is a direct service from NP to Stansted after the game IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

ditpoker wrote: »
    I;ve managed to get 2 tickets to spurs birmingham. My flight back to dublin isat 7.35pm with ryanair from stansted.

That means i need to be at the airport at 7.05pm according to the ryanair email.

In the past whenever i've done the day trip i rent a car from stansted for £37. The tottenham hale train from what i can tell will cost £49 for 2 people. so car would be cheaper. would i have any problems getting back to stansted for 7pm? whenever ive gone over before i usually have a 9pm flight and get food near the ground as teh crowd clears.

suggestions? ty

I imagine when you add in the price of the petrol the car option is more expensive.

I've got the 7.35 flight home a few times and I've never missed it (via the express train). Leave bang on the final whistle and you'll easlily make the airport by 6.45/7.00.

The only thing that can mess you up is a slower train service due to track maintainance or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

I imagine when you add in the price of the petrol the car option is more expensive.

I've got the 7.35 flight home a few times and I've never missed it (via the express train). Leave bang on the final whistle and you'll easlily make the airport by 6.45/7.00.

The only thing that can mess you up is a slower train service due to track maintainance or something.

So to avail of the train, i need to book 2 stansted - tottenham hale tickets yea? can i just get these on the day? or do i need to book in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

alrite mate, theres five of us heading over to the same game on those flights, were gettin the train there and back so if you want to tag along just give us a shout,
    ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

alright mate. I'd leave the car an train it. I've got taxis from around the ground prev to airport an it can take 25- 30 mins just tm clear the immediate area and tat was with local knowledge drivin thro hospital grounds etc. And as ro says train to northhumberland is cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

So to avail of the train, i need to book 2 stansted - tottenham hale tickets yea? can i just get these on the day? or do i need to book in advance?

Buy a Stansted - Northumberland Park rtn for £16.
    You can buy the ticket on the train from the conductor.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    alrite mate, theres five of us heading over to the same game on those flights, were gettin the train there and back so if you want to tag along just give us a shout,
    ciaran

:) Don't be surprised if two people approach the group of 5 in spurs jerseys and ask how to get to the ground!

Buy a Stansted - Northumberland Park rtn for £16.
    You can buy the ticket on the train from the conductor.

So just stanstead - northumberland park, on and off at northumberland park and dont worry about "tottenham - hale"? The jumping on and off for bottles of water mentioned above confused me a bit! :)

thanks for the replies! definately going to go the train route

So just stanstead - northumberland park, on and off at northumberland park and dont worry about "tottenham - hale"? The jumping on and off for bottles of water mentioned above confused me a bit! :)

thanks for the replies! definately going to go the train route

From the FAQ section:
    It is no longer possible to purchase a "Cheap Day Return" (off-peak return ticket to be used on the day of purchase) from Stansted to either Liverpool Street or Tottenham Hale. These tickets are now known as "off-peak day return" tickets, and cost a minimum of £24 to Tottenham Hale. However, an "off-peak day return" to Northumberland Park will cost you £15.40, which allows you to travel on the Stansted Express from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, where you can catch a connecting service back towards Northumberland Park (or simply walk out of the train station and make your way towards WHL! I've no idea why the price change has happened, but that is the best way of keeping the price of your train ticket down.

It is important to note that the terms and conditions affecting your train ticket probably preclude you leaving the station at Tottenham Hale rather than catching the connecting service, so if you are asked to produce a train ticket when you attempt to exit the platform at Hale play dumb, or say you just wanted to pop into the shop or something. The same applies at Hale on the way back, your ticket is for travel beginning at Northumberland Park

They sell the cheap fare to Northumberland Park, you're supposed to get on/off the train there rather than Tottenham Hale, but we always just duck out at T. Hale and jump in a cab up to the boozer, and on way back we walk back to T. Hale and jump on the Express there.

The ticket you get will be for Stansted-Northumberland Park, but the journey you're permitted to make is Stansted-T. Hale-Northumberland Park.

Making sense?

getting there! :) so get on train at stanstead and ask for a ticket to n-park (return), that train on route to n-park will pass t-hale where we jump out, and go to the ground. then after the game we walk back to t-hale and use our valid n-park to standsted ticket to get the stansted express rather than the n-park train as it will be quicker?

apologies for not being the smartest cookie in the jar! :)

getting there! :) so get on train at stanstead and ask for a ticket to n-park (return), that train on route to n-park will pass t-hale where we jump out, and go to the ground. then after the game we walk back to t-hale and use our valid n-park to standsted ticket to get the stansted express rather than the n-park train as it will be quicker?

apologies for not being the smartest cookie in the jar! :)

No problems mate, that is the jist of it.

Mind you, when you arrive in T Hale on your way to match you might find a northbound train heading back towards N Park is only a couple of minutes away, and it's not that bad an idea to jump on it, jump off at N Park then walk up from the station to the ground (about a 10-15min walk) arriving at the corner of the East and South stands.

Have a look at National Rail enquiries to see if you can catch a service from N Park direct to Stansted after the game, I always go the T Hale route cos I know how long it will take me.

I'll drop you a PM with my number if you need any help on the day, I'm out on the 8:10 flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kevi

suggestions? ty
    jesus is 11 quid that important, walk to tottenham hale after match it takes 35 mins and get train back as you most certainly wont make it in car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kevi

i have 2 spare tickets for spurs match next sat, row 1 upper43, good seats for sale at cost price

Advertisement