Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First A0 collage, comment please

• 10-08-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

I was in Australia last year and i wanted to make a collage of my favorite pictures. Who looks through photo albums anymore.
    So here is my result. First project using Photoshop. Its a 500mb Photoshop file. So the detail is there.

What do you think? What type of paper should i get it printed on and can you recommend a A0 printer.5114_207071000356_635950356_7548056_2590432_n.jpg
    I wanted to have some of the nicer pics bigger and some of the pics with storys behind them smaller

Thanks for looking. Any comments good or bad are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

You want to buy an A0 printer?:eek:

I'd recommend contacting stcstc the resident printer on this forum,He'd surely be able to cater for you,Has FTP uploading services too IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

God no. Just wondering what you think of the picture and wondering any tips on how i could improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yep use Steve. I like it althopugh one thing, the top right corner is darker than the rest of the picture so may be overlooked, the rest has a lot of blue in it so maybe mix those pics up a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Upload about a 4000px image and link us to it,Then we'd be able to give proper C&C on it at the moment it's a bit small to say anything about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I'd prefer each shot with a small white border maybe to help distinguish better between them. Although it would obviously be a lot easier at the size it's going to be. The title looks a bit lost to me as well. Maybe a bolder white font?

• Advertisement

daycent wrote: »
    I'd prefer each shot with a small white border maybe to help distinguish better between them. Although it would obviously be a lot easier at the size it's going to be. The title looks a bit lost to me as well. Maybe a bolder white font?

I was thinking that also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

"Australia 2008" gets lost in the overlay.

My suggestion is to either separate it or lose it. It's kinda large and the font/colour combination isn't particularly nice (imho). The picture pile itself looks very 'busy' - I don't know how well photographically it works but as a memory board I think it's great.

For printing it, stcstc is highly recommended for a really professional job if you want to get a lifetime print.

As a second option, Reads (Nassau Street) will do an A0 for a little less than €40 - the paper is not quite completely heavy stock but has a nice satin finish and nice colour rendition. I've had A1 (€24) done with them and the result is great for a low cost print (disclaimer - it is a low cost print - price v expectations come into play big time - if i wanted to sell an A1, I would be talking to Steve -stcstc- have had previous work done with him and top class all around). Remains to be seen how the Reads print will fair out in the longevity stakes.

Think about framing before you print. My advice in this regard is source and cost the frame in advance of getting the print done. Frame sizes do my head in tbh (but i've little knowledge of them). I've many framing disappointments as i've had difficulty getting a frame to the size of a print that i've made. Usually its the afterthought so it is worthy of bringing it up to the front in your thought process in getting such a project done.

Hope that helps, Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'd definately redo the title - maybe just remove the image from behind and leave it with a black background.

As for the images I'd either leave an equal white border around them or fade them in together. You might like to try something like Microsoft AutoCollage for that, I haven't used it yet but looks the job. Also someone mentioned the dark right corner, I'd say they meant the top left corner... mix those images throughout the collage.

If you want it similar to it's current version, I'd personally prefer to get the images all printed and just do an old-school collage by cutting up the photos, maybe print out the title as well, then hold together in a frame. Would work out much cheaper too.

Ok here it is
    Master%20Print%202.jpg

I just changed the font colour of the heading, Don't really want to lose the pic or the heading. Maybe a different font, any suggestions?
    Or i could put a smaller heading in the bottom corner somewhere.

I dropped for of the more boring pictures that may look nice but don't really add anything to the "memory board" I think that and busy would be a good way to describe it. But i want something that tells as much as possible about my trip.
    But i also want something that i can hang somewhere and not be an eyesore.

But I'm interestested to hear if you think the changes have been for the better or for worse.

Frames. I had a quick look online but i couldn't seem to find any nice A0 sizes. Where can i get some nice large frames or would it be better to make my own? It's not an aspect i have really though about nor do i know where to begin.Linky so you can easily compare the two versions

Linky so you can easily compare the two versions

• Advertisement

If you are getting it printed in Harvey Normans there are large frames there to match their sizes. If you are going high quality and getting it printed by Steve then he can direct you to frames or you can contact Stewarts and have one made int eh size you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Still looks a bit off, imo.
    Why not add a little white bar to the bottom (trim some of the pics) and add it onto that, as if it's a profesional poster the likes you'd buy in Hmv? Just a thought.

Looks good otherwise to me - though!

What is the difference between getting it profesonally done by Steve as apposed to getting it done in reads? What difference will i notice when it hanging on a wall. And what is the difference in Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If you're intent on keeping the title, I'd suggest using the 'stroke' blending option on the text layer, to give the text a black or white outline. Should help it to stand out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Beno wrote: »
    What is the difference between getting it profesonally done by Steve as apposed to getting it done in reads? What difference will i notice when it hanging on a wall. And what is the difference in Price

The Reads option I referred to is fine if a poster print is ok for your needs. A steve print is something to behold generally and would be differentiated through the quality and personal service usually.

But don't knock the Reads option as a low cost alternative. I have an A1 now hanging on my sons wall of a photo that I had taken and he took a shine to. It's absolutely fine for this - infact more than fine - its great really. I don't know about the longevity (light, fade, etc.) that I should expect with the Reads print but I don't expect that my son will want that image on the wall forever so it doesn't really matter for my purpose. Print paper stock is probably a differentiating factor too - my Reads A1 is heavy stock paper of a satin finish rather than what I would consider 'real' photographic quality paper. They also do a 'glossy' option if that is your interest.

On the other hand last Christmas I was doing something special for my parents and it was a Steve print that I wanted at the time for print quality reasons and the individual attention that the image got in its production.

So, I would suggest, if wanting to look at your "memory board" for the rest of your days you definitely need to be considering someone like Steve (there are probably other options out there too) but if it will last for a number of years then perhaps the Reads option will be fine for your purposes.

If you pop into reads you will be able to see some samples of the prints hanging up.

EDIT: Also, Re: Price - Contact stcstc for a quote. Send him a PM. He does a good boards.ie discount usually for folk around here. Also talk to Sean in Reads for a price. You can ftp your image to Steve or email the order to Reads for later collection.

Well ended up dropping the heading (nearly, i put a small heading in one of the pictures)

I also rearranged some of the pictures to try and make it "work" a little better.
    Dropped some more boring scenery ones and replaced them with "interesting" ones.

Let me know if there are any pics that should have been dropped or you think should be moved.

I did the original collage on a 12 inch laptop screen now i'm working on a large 24inch and the difference is immense. Its much easier, quicker and very enjoyable.

Still welcoming any comments. Let me know if i start messing with it too much.

Comparison

Master%20Print%203.jpg

Advertisement