Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send file from PC upstairs to Mediaplayer downstairs connected to wireless router

Options
  • 10-08-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭

I am using NTL broadband currently with a 54g wireless router and have it currently setup with an "O2 Media HMR 350" ethernet/wifi media hard drive player (http://www.o2media.es/en/hmr-350n) as follows:

PC upstairs with 54g wireless adaptor - getting signal from downstairs where the NTL modem is connected to the 54g wireless router (netgear upc standard) - and one of the 4 ports on the router is attached to the media player.

This 'works' using "NDAS" except that transfer speeds are very slow (about 10 megabytes a minute!) and the connection to the media player continually disconnects rendering the process of transferring a downloaded multimedia file from my pc upstairs to the hard drive on the media player pretty much useless.

I have the 20meg NTL broadband and achieve good download speeds using my wifi using a download accelerator - about 2.2 megabytes a second.

To improve things I have purchased and am awaiting delivery of an Nfiniti Wireless-N High Power Router

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH -

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/nfiniti-wireless-n/nfiniti-wireless-n-high-power-router-access-point-wzr-hp-g300nh/

and adaptor WLI-UC-G300HP - to replace my g adaptor upstairs

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/nfiniti-wireless-n/nfiniti-wireless-n-high-power-compact-usb-20-adapter-wli-uc-g300hp/

Will using this Wireless N equipment and 'gigabit ports' solve my problems or have I just wasted my money?!

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Given that you don't have issues with the 20Mbps broadband over the wifi network, I'd say you've just wasted your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Have you tried a hard wired connection to the router to see what throughput you get then? The WiFi connection is unlikely to be at fault since you can max your UPC connection over it. It could be whatever software your using to transfer files or maybe the HDD in the media player is slow at reading/writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Have you tried a hard wired connection to the router to see what throughput you get then? The WiFi connection is unlikely to be at fault since you can max your UPC connection over it. It could be whatever software your using to transfer files or maybe the HDD in the media player is slow at reading/writing.

you mean connect my pc directly to the router downstairs? That would be a bit difficult as its upstairs but I could try a laptop - If I understand you, you are saying try transfer the file 'from a pc connected to the router' 'to the mediabox connected to the router'?

Thanks!

Yeah use a wired connection to the router for the laptop and the mediaplayer is already wired. Just see what speed you get then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its pretty much a process of elimination until you find the cause. try the wired connection, see how that goes. then try changing one component at a time (in order of convenience, just whatever is easiest to test) until you get the desired result. once you have it working as you need it to, you'll know for sure that the last thing you removed was the source of the fault.

it could be anything from the type of data you are trying to transfer to a dodgy network cable or port on the media player or router.

if you're going to the trouble of getting a pc/laptop to test it without wifi, go the extra step and try the media player directly connected to the pc/laptop via ethernet to rule out the router and also just try a different port on the router too a faulty port (you probably see where i'm going, eliminating stuff as you go along).

don't forget to swap over the ethernet cables too, it could be something as simple as a cable kink, or badly connected rj45 plug. just keep removing potential causes till you get there.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for replies.

I received new router and was too enthusiastic to check out the old router with a laptop.

Anyway, with the buffalo router, I transferred a 210 megabyte file from my pc upstairs, via Wi-fi, to the mediabox in 2mins 40 seconds - so that was about 1.3 megabytes a second transfer rate.

Does that sound reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Anyway, with the buffalo router, I transferred a 210 megabyte file from my pc upstairs, via Wi-fi, to the mediabox in 2mins 40 seconds - so that was about 1.3 megabytes a second transfer rate.

Depends on what you think yourself. If you're happy with that, then it's reasonable. You're only getting about 10Mbps though, which isn't great for an N router.

jor el wrote: »
    Depends on what you think yourself. If you're happy with that, then it's reasonable. You're only getting about 10Mbps though, which isn't great for an N router.

Thanks for your advice - though I don't need people to tell me that if I'm happy with something then it's reasonable.

I (obviously :rolleyes:) meant that given the equipment I was using was it reasonable. From your answer I take it that it is not!

Being an N router it quotes me as being connected at 300Mbps but I am a bit confused about what that refers to. I understood that it meant it could cope with much higher internet speeds but does it have anything to do with file transfer speeds? i.e what transfer speeds should an N router provide over wifi?

Thanks for your help. :D

In N routers you can set the channel width, 20mhz and the adapter will connect to the router at a max of 144mbps connection rate, set the router (AND adapter) to 40mhz and it will connect at a max of 300mbps connection rate. I have the Buffalo WHR-G300N with the same Buffalo adapter you got and the max throughput I've seen in 20mhz mode is around 9.7 megabytes per second, I've seen over 11megabytes per second in 40mhz(tested with HFS on a PC). Setting the router to 40mhz mode will reduce range a small bit.
    I'd say the media drive is just slow at reading/writing.

Advertisement