Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advance Pitstop - dont fix punctures and are g*ts!

• 10-08-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Had a puncture on one of the run flats on my 520 over the weekend. The tyre is rated for 200kms running flat, so no issues with the usual..."sorry boss the tyre is gone as you drove it whilst flat."

I brought the car to Advance PitStop in Cherywood and the 'manager' or guy behind the desk didn't even look at it prior to telling me I needed a new tyre! How did he know? -his eye sight could not be that good to see a un fixable run flat tyre from 30 feet!

Anyhow usual story, Tyre needs to be replaced and that will come to '..hammers a few keys on the keyboard, 330 euro! (but that's all in) So I am getting fitting and free air thrown in! What a deal.

So I told him where to go (think he was on commission) and went to the very friendly Chinese guy who works in Universal Tyres (near Spawell) and he fixed the puncture for 15 euro!

Now before we get into the usual story of, you drove on a flat and broke down the Tyre wall, these are run flat tyres and are designed to be driven on until they are fixed or replaced (not always replaced Advance PitStop)

The moral of the story is, don't go to those thieving g*ts in Advance PitStop if you a have a puncture but do go and see the helpful people at Universal Tyres near Spawell in Dublin 16.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I was under the impression that run flats can not be repaired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

SV wrote: »
    I was under the impression that run flats can not be repaired?

+ 1

So was I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

I thought that too??Did they not ban those tar strips for fixing tires?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

I thought that too??Did they not ban those tar strips for fixing tires?
    No, they are still available in Ireland;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's not illegal to repair a runflat apparently:

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Not recommended to repair runflats, the tyre places get into trouble with their suppliers for doing it (Bridgestone etc.). That's not saying that it cant be done, I have mine repaired.

Whats the worst thing that can happen, they run flat for gods sake.

Only things is they are a bitch to get off the rim because the side wall is so thick, so be carefully they dont damage your alloys doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mcloughl wrote: »
    these are run flat tyres and are designed to be driven on until they are fixed or replaced

Incorrect, BMW's policy is that the tyre is to only be driven on, to allow you to get to a service station, whereas then the tyre has to be changed. As its not possible to completely verify the strenght of the side walls after driving on them.

Fair enough, you got it repaired, but god forbid your driving down the M50 and your tyre wall explodes, whos door will you be knocking at? It wont be advance pitstop's......

And thats the reason they refuse to repair them, and to be honest, after seeing run flats letting go, I wouldnt blame them - they are only following the manufacturers rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

You could always buy a spare wheel....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

trad wrote: »
    You could always buy a spare wheel....

Thats true. You can actually purchase a spare wheel kit, for run flat equipped cars. Wheel, jack, brace etc. Some people order this, then put standard tyres on the car. Though Ive only ever seen this with 1st/2nd gen run flats where the ride has been compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

anyone know about those tar strips musicman was talking about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Even still 330 quid for a tyre? It's not bloody M3 he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

shaywest wrote: »
    anyone know about those tar strips musicman was talking about
    Available from Carcessories in Dublin, they are called Chemicures.
    They are basically strings dipped in a rubbery/tar like substance.
    Each string is about 6 in long, the offending hole is reamed out to clean it using a special tool for the job, then the string is pushed through the hole using another special tool, twisted, and then pulled back out, a bit like sewing. This is done a few times til you are satisfied that it has been plugged.
    It is only used on the tread part of the tyre, not on the sidewalls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Your mistake was to go to Advance pitstop but fear not, we all make that mistake at some stage BUT you will never make it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mcloughl wrote: »
    Now before we get into the usual story of, you drove on a flat and broke down the Tyre wall, these are run flat tyres and are designed to be driven on until they are fixed or replaced (not always replaced Advance PitStop)

Except they're not - Bridgestones' runflats are designed to be replaced once punctured. I'm presuming the bloke that did the repair was the one that told you this?

Its rated for driving 200km on flat before the tyre is unsafe, NOT 200km on flat before its unrepairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Berty wrote: »
    Your mistake was to go to Advance pitstop but fear not, we all make that mistake at some stage BUT you will never make it again!

I couldn't agree more. I have used Advance Pitstop in Swords.....more than once! I know, I know, what was I thinking. They are a shambles.
    The last time I was there, it was for an oil change. I went back to collect the car....it wasn't there. While I was in reception, I stood at the door and what did I see, but someone driving the boll*x out of my car through the petrol station next door! He finally lashed it up on the high kerb - I went over and was like "eh, what's your game mate". He wasn't Irish and his english wasn't great but he was like "nice car"! What a pri*k. I said it to the other non-irish guy behind the counter and he just said "ooh, sorry".
    Anyway, that's enough................however, I would very much advise against ever going to them, whether it be in Swords or anyone else :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

The standard irish response, the guy who did it cheap gave the correct advice.
    The price may not have been the best value available for a runflat but the advice given was sound maybe it should have been explained to you why it had to be replaced rather than just giving you a price for a tyre though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

I couldn't agree more. I have used Advance Pitstop in Swords.....more than once! I know, I know, what was I thinking. They are a shambles.
    The last time I was there, it was for an oil change. I went back to collect the car....it wasn't there. While I was in reception, I stood at the door and what did I see, but someone driving the boll*x out of my car through the petrol station next door! He finally lashed it up on the high kerb - I went over and was like "eh, what's your game mate". He wasn't Irish and his english wasn't great but he was like "nice car"! What a pri*k. I said it to the other non-irish guy behind the counter and he just said "ooh, sorry".
    Anyway, that's enough................however, I would very much advise against ever going to them, whether it be in Swords or anyone else :mad:[/quote

I have gone to Advance pitstop 5 times in the past and have done a great job every time. As people say there are 2 sides to every story. First time I went and had a puncture, which cost about 12 euro to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

sundodger5 wrote: »
    The standard irish response, the guy who did it cheap gave the correct advice.
    The price may not have been the best value available for a runflat but the advice given was sound maybe it should have been explained to you why it had to be replaced rather than just giving you a price for a tyre though.

+1 on that.

I've got loads of work done in Advance in the past and couldn't fault them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Avoid them like the plague. <snip>

Anyway, my dad's car has runflats, and he has got punctures repaired- no problem so far!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I actually have nothing but good things to say about Advance. I Have and will continue to use the one in JFK Industrial Estate just off the Naas Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So, is the OP now driving around on an unsafe tyre since it was repaired which seems contrary to manufacturer's advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I don't really see the point in run-flats. They're awful for comfort and most people end up changing them off their BMW's to keep their teeth in place.

They're more expensive, harsher ride and shouldn't be repaired. Are there any benefits really? A lot of cars or insurance policies come with AA or similar for the severe cases where you're stuck on the side of the road with no spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The manufacturers are slowly changing their advice so that repairs are allowed. It is complete lunacy to drive a car where a puncture costs €300. I dont know anyone who would / could justify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So, is the OP now driving around on an unsafe tyre since it was repaired which seems contrary to manufacturer's advice?

Except its not really unsafe. We are told its unsave so that we throw away €300 tyres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

very few places will plug a run flat these days as its not recomended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

how is BMW's decision to supply, and your choice to pay (over the odds for...) a car with this joke 'technology' Advance Pitstop's fault ?

The tyre is not designed to be repaired, it is to be replaced. This is the position of the tyre manufacturer and Advance, and more importantly, because if you were to have an accident on foot of a repair - is exactly what the Product Liability insurers want to hear.

I can just imagine the hullah if a repaired runflat gave way...........you'd be screaming blue murder. Provided you weren't killed in then ensuing accident, that is.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Advance will just follow manufacturer recommendations. If your repaired runflat blew up, you would likely come back seeking compensation for a repair that didn't last, and they would lose a supplier contract pretty quickly.

All manufacturers recommend certain brands, and have criteria that must be followed while using the car to meet it's designed use.

Punctures are rare anyway; even more so, you should replace the tyres on each axle simultaneously, but that might be just being picky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

while we're moaning about tyre places I'll give ya all a good story. Was in Fast Fit, Santry last week with exhaust problem. Anyways, they couldnt get the part so said if I got it they'd fit it for free which they did today in an hour or so which was all well and good cos the part cost me €380 as the part can only be ordered in a main stealer Alfa garage (so I knew I was gonna be double raped before I even went it :-( )

Not many places will do that and to be honest big kudos for them for doing so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I use advance regularly here in Sligo and can't fault them at all. Sound bunch of lads, very helpful :)

OP, what will you do if your run-flat fails after the repair job?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

su_dios wrote:
    I don't really see the point in run-flats. They're awful for comfort and most people end up changing them off their BMW's to keep their teeth in place.

They're more expensive, harsher ride and shouldn't be repaired. Are there any benefits really?

Aside from being a near-endless cash-cow for tyre manufacturers and the car company execs they probably slip a few (hundred thousand) bob to for pushing for their cars to come with the godawful things as standard? ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The original accusation was that the OP was being ripped off by advance. However, advance were it seems simply following the advice given to them by the manufacturers yet the OP has accused them of trying to rip them off. Calling them "thieving g*ts" when no money was exchanged isn't really fair and is potentially libellous.

@OP what size/make/model of tyre was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

su_dios wrote: »
    Are there any benefits really?

Of course there are. Keeping control of your car while you slow down from 120kph and pull off the motorway for one. Wimmin being able to continue on home (within 200km) on a punctured tyre at night instead of hoping the man that stops to change the wheel for her isn't a psycho rapist would be another.

The question is, do the benefits outweigh the costs and disadvantages? For most of us, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Not a fan of Advance, we use them for work & I don't think they give good value. It also really annoys me the way they charge us for a new set of valves every time a newset if tyres are put on (despite repeated warnings).

I do however agree with their decision not to repair a Run Flat. That is the manufacturer's recommendation.

Run Flats seem like a complete money racket to me, a step backwards in tyre performance. A subscription to AA or RAC (most insurance policies breakdown assist as standard now anyway) plus a spare would be far better value. €600 for a puncture seems daft (replacing two tyres on same axle).

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

why didnt you just get out and replace the flat tire??... i know they are run flat but at E300 a go i know id be out like a shot to replace it???? as was pointed out earlier... runflats are an excelent idea if you get a flat at 120Kph and need time to slow down and pull in.... but why? and ill ask again... why didnt you change the tire????????? how can you come on here taking a stab at advance (whom i have nevr dealt with) after driving on a flat tire?? with no other technical info other then the ""up to 200Km"" craic? Did BMW say that you would have a perfectly serviceable tyre after 200Km on the rims ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Advance will just follow manufacturer recommendations. If your repaired runflat blew up, you would likely come back seeking compensation for a repair that didn't last, and they would lose a supplier contract pretty quickly.

All manufacturers recommend certain brands, and have criteria that must be followed while using the car to meet it's designed use.

Punctures are rare anyway; even more so, you should replace the tyres on each axle simultaneously, but that might be just being picky.

The OP was moaning about being told it'll cost ~€300 for a puncture and now you want them to spend ~€600.
    biomech wrote: »
    why didnt you just get out and replace the flat tire??... i know they are run flat but at E300 a go i know id be out like a shot to replace it???? as was pointed out earlier... runflats are an excelent idea if you get a flat at 120Kph and need time to slow down and pull in.... but why? and ill ask again... why didnt you change the tire????????? how can you come on here taking a stab at advance (whom i have nevr dealt with) after driving on a flat tire?? with no other technical info other then the ""up to 200Km"" craic? Did BMW say that you would have a perfectly serviceable tyre after 200Km on the rims ???

When the manufacture supplies a car with runflats they don't provide a spare. You need to buy one yourself. And if you mean get the run flats off the car, that's a big expense to replace 3 prefectly good tires. When they need replacing then use standard tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

mamakevf wrote: »
    Available from Carcessories in Dublin, they are called Chemicures.
    They are basically strings dipped in a rubbery/tar like substance.
    Each string is about 6 in long, the offending hole is reamed out to clean it using a special tool for the job, then the string is pushed through the hole using another special tool, twisted, and then pulled back out, a bit like sewing. This is done a few times til you are satisfied that it has been plugged.
    It is only used on the tread part of the tyre, not on the sidewalls
    thanks for that but i was referring to the legallity of the strips.
    any info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

not sure of legality but the problem with the "strips" is that the tyre is not removed from the rim to check for secondary damage.
    Human nature then kicks in i.e if it holds air it must be 100% when the tyre could have severe internal damage.
    that said if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and you use them as a get out of trouble solution only......wait i am back at the human nature bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

biomech wrote: »
    why didnt you just get out and replace the flat tire??... i know they are run flat but at E300 a go i know id be out like a shot to replace it???? as was pointed out earlier... runflats are an excelent idea if you get a flat at 120Kph and need time to slow down and pull in.... but why? and ill ask again... why didnt you change the tire?????????

afaik, and maybe the OP will help us on this one, but I thought a BeeEmm with runflats DOESN'T have a spare wheel.

So, what's he supposed to do - fashion one from twigs and a piece of string at the side of the road ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I once got new brakes fitted by Advance/JFK on an old Golf I had. Afterwards there was a really lound grating/banging noise everytime I used the brakes. I brought it back to Advance and they said it wasn't anyhting they did. I then brought the car to a mechanic who told me that Advance never re fitted some clips with the new brakes and that was the reason for the noise.

Any tyre work done by Advance has been fine.

I have run flats and a spare to answer the last question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yamahaxt660x

I have worked for advance pitstop for the last 6 years and all tyre manufacturers state that punctures on runflat tyres must not be repaired.They are a waste of money put normal tyres on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement