Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to sell a table?

• 10-08-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello.

That heading should say 'where to go to get a table valued'

I have a hall table which is old, I don't know how old but its been in the family for a few generations.

Due to credit crunch and 2 kids I'm selling a few things off. Problem is, I don't know how much I should advertise it for

Is there somewhere in Dublin where you can get items valued independently?

Thanks in advance!

Katie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Hi KTC ,
    Well the auctioneers will give a free valuation .
    You'd need to send them in an image by email , any of the fine art houses will have details on their website .

Post an image here and maybe one of us can help !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ktc

Thanks, I'll take some photos and hopefully someone could point me in the right direction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres adverts.ie for some of the stuff.

also try donedeal.ie or gumtree.ie..... or buyandsell.ie

would only recommend adverts as its more interactive and less likely to attract spammers.

Good luck and be prepared for low offers (everyone wants a bargain).... Haggle

Thanks a million, ill try getting it valued first so I can gauge what I have to work with.

http://www.kateandalan.com/stuff/halltable.jpg

Your image dosent work KTC!

• Advertisement

thanks oddjob! its fixed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Still no pic at your link. :)

looks to be working now!! thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pic working now. While I'm no expert on furniture prices it doesn't look as if it is particularly valuable. I would suggest that your best bet is to put it into a local auction with a small reserve on it rather than waste time getting it valued.

Herman Wilkinson (Rathmines): http://www.hermanwilkinson.ie/

or Buckleys (Sandycove): 27 Sandycove Road, Dun Laoghaire
    (01) 284 4717

are two that come to mind for weekly furniture sales. :)

www.collectireland@blogspot.com

hi, thanks for posting back. I was hoping It was somehow worth millions and I'd be made for life :D

I'll take your advise and try to sell it cheaply and see how it goes. It's going to save me lugging it into the car and back out again :)

Thanks very much for replying.

• Advertisement

Hi K.T.C ,
    I see your image now ... thanks !

Its an oak occasional table , decorated n the late victorian/early edwardian style.
    Its hard to tell from your image whether it is of that period or not , but indications are that it is relatively modern.

Im afraid i got to agree with Judgement Day here , that you wont be able to retire from the proceeds ! Even if it is c.1900 it still wont be worth a lot .

The drawer has an arcaded design and looks machine done with the wide incision decoration. the timber isnt colour matched around the drawer and another sign of a factory produced item is the "baggy" drawer .

The brass handle is in a 17th century "tear-drop" style and revived in 1920's /1930's to a limited degree .
    A little out of style for this type of table.

Anyway , best of luck with it !
    anything else you can post pics of ???
    I just love looking at stuff here :)

yes oddjob, Ive a clock and some tapestries, might take me a week to get them down from the attic though :)
    thanks for advice.

in the meantime, I have a separate post with my zebra table. Its an odd one!

Advertisement