Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digger hire cost??

Options
  • 10-08-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,

My builder accidently hit the mains cable going to my house while installing a new waste pipe. I should mention the house is being renovated and we are decommissioning the septic tank and connecting the mains supply.
    The electric feed was in a black pipe and not the red duct as required by the ESB (house is over 30 years old).
    Anyway the builder reckons that a new duct and wire will need to be fitted from house to pole. The costs quoted are €400 for a digger and drive and an extra man for the day to dig the 50metre trench and lay the duct. The duct will cost another €150. Do these prices sound ok??

The ESB said they would repair the wire for free but there is no guarantee that the builder won't hit the pipe again as he has to dig a trench all the way out to the road for the waste water pipe.

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Digger, driver and shovel man for a 50m trench. 2 -3 hours should do the lot, €150, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

most to shiney new prices forum

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jasgrif11

I thought it was costly considerng that the digger is already onsite lying idle anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Wait a minute.. Who hit the cable? IMO it was an error made on his behalf and he should be paying for it. Even if you were to pay them prices are extorsion

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

400 euro in my opinion is a very good rate.
    As you have discovered when excavating anything can happen.
    50 m of trench to be dug and recovered ,Consider wear and tear of a machine,a driver operator and a banksman.Your builder is been very reasonable with his cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Well maybe my opinion has changed...

Digger
    Digger driver
    Extra man

€400 is not bad. But still IMO its an 'accident' that shouldn't have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭A country home

lol, if he hit the wire, then he should be paying for it. ...
    but if you said i dont know where the cable is, or you didnt even mention it to him, well then . .. . not his fault. .

Advertisement